Progesterone and its role in ovulation & your luteal phase...

whimesy3

Reaction score
I have read on several sites online that signs of a progesterone rise, such as sore breasts etc, means that ovulation has occured has occured. I also read that if you have no pms one month, that means you did not ovulate. This is for women who normally experience pms I am sure. So I'm trying to figure out what exactly causes pms. Is it progesterone? Because if it is, isn'tprogesterone important in sustaining a healthy pregnancy? So if progesterone causes your pms/period, it doesn't make sense to me that it also sustains a pregnancy...also does progesterone start to rise before ovulation or after, and if after, do you know how long after ovulation? I ask this because I was NTNP for about 10 months. I am sure a lot of those times I had to be having sex around ovulation. Sometimes my OH ejaculted in me, sometimes he didn't. I can't really be sure, but I know he had to have several times around ovulation. Around that time I was doing nothing else to boost my fertility. I maybe was taking some vitamins, but not consistantly I'm sure. So because of the NTNP for so long and nothing happened, I feel like something is wrong. This is my first month actually trying, and AF is due on Sunday, and TBH - I can already feel her coming, so I am already disappointed. I have had my period for ya know like 15 years, so I can tell that this is not a pregnancy and she definately is coming. What made me ask this question is, I started having sore breasts on Saturday I believe, and some cramping too. So if progesterone is produced when ovulation occurs, that means my luteal phase is only 7 or 8 days :( Or does your body start to produce it a few days after you ovulate? Sorry if this seems like I'm rambling. If you have any questions that would help you give me advice, feel free to ask.

Progesterone starts rising immediately following ovulation and is typically at its peak around 7 days post ovulation which is when I notice alot of pregnancy symptoms myself, if conception did not occur progesterone starts to drop a few days before AF is due ,Its the sudden drop in progesterone just before AF starts that triggers mood swings and all other PMS symptoms and AF to come, with pregnancy the hormones HCG and progesterone rise much higher then normal which is what causes pregnancy symptoms.

Not having PMS does not mean you dident ovulate , lots of women have no pms and turn out to be pregnant. others can have all the symptoms before even missed AF all pregnancy's are different.

So is it a good sign when you have about four days of ewcm, and then once it stops bbs start to hurt real bad? Is it a good sign that I ovulated already?

Thanks Lisa, you have helped me to understand it a bit better. So the rise in progesterone causes the sore breast? That's the only symptom that I have other than cramping. So you say that the progesterone rise causes my sore breasts after ovulation? So does this mean that since I feel the sore breasts 7, to 8 days before my period, that that means my LP is only 8 or 9 days? Also, what do you think would happened if I started using progesterone cream as soon as I felt my breasts swell? I have some on hand and I'm tempted to use it just in case ...I'm so confused right now as to what to do.

Progesterone starts rising immediately following ovulation and is typically at its peak around 7 days post ovulation which is when I notice alot of pregnancy symptoms myself, if conception did not occur progesterone starts to drop a few days before AF is due ,Its the sudden drop in progesterone just before AF starts that triggers mood swings and all other PMS symptoms and AF to come, with pregnancy the hormones HCG and progesterone rise much higher then normal which is what causes pregnancy symptoms.

Not having PMS does not mean you dident ovulate , lots of women have no pms and turn out to be pregnant. others can have all the symptoms before even missed AF all pregnancy's are different.

WSS^^^

Progesterone rises after ovulation whether you're pregnant or not. If you are not pregnant, it will stop dropping and then you will get AF, if you are pregnant, it will stay up for about 10 weeks to sustain a pregnancy until the placenta takes over. Progesterone will cause a lot of "pregnancy like" symtoms, such as sore breasts, moodiness, increase in appetite, constipation, bloating, headaches, and even nausea.. it pretty much mimics the "common" pregnancy symptoms xx

WSS^^^

Progesterone rises after ovulation whether you're pregnant or not. If you are not pregnant, it will stop dropping and then you will get AF, if you are pregnant, it will stay up for about 10 weeks to sustain a pregnancy until the placenta takes over. Progesterone will cause a lot of "pregnancy like" symtoms, such as sore breasts, moodiness, increase in appetite, constipation, bloating, headaches, and even nausea.. it pretty much mimics the "common" pregnancy symptoms xx

Right I get that. Because thr progesterone rise is to sustain a pregnancy if one would occur, and when it doesn't AF come because the progesterone drops. So to me it makes sense to me that no ovulation occured in myself on months that I did not feel my breast get sore. Progesterone causes that in myself, so if no ovulation occured it makes sense that my body would not create progesterone. Which is why I have no sypmtoms of the rise, but then my AF comes anyway to shed the lining. Does that make sense? So what I really am wondering though is : if I feel the prgesterone rise (sore boobs) only 7 to 8 days before AF, does that mean I ovilated 9 days before AF, meaning my LP is only 7 to 8 days?

Thanks Lisa, you have helped me to understand it a bit better. So the rise in progesterone causes the sore breast? That's the only symptom that I have other than cramping. So you say that the progesterone rise causes my sore breasts after ovulation? So does this mean that since I feel the sore breasts 7, to 8 days before my period, that that means my LP is only 8 or 9 days? Also, what do you think would happened if I started using progesterone cream as soon as I felt my breasts swell? I have some on hand and I'm tempted to use it just in case ...I'm so confused right now as to what to do.

I believe progesterone is what causes sore breasts in the LP,I think progesterone rises at its highest in the middle of the LP and thats why your feeling sore breasts later in the 2ww, sometimes I dont get sore breasts till around 10dpo. I would recommend basal body temping every morning so you can clearly see when ovulation is occurring and how long your LP is. and then start the progesterone cream about 3 days after your temp shift indicating ovulation occurred . this is the site I use to keep track of my cycles https://www.fertilityfriend.com/ttc

I believe progesterone is what causes sore breasts in the LP,I think progesterone rises at its highest in the middle of the LP and thats why your feeling sore breasts later in the 2ww, sometimes I dont get sore breasts till around 10dpo. I would recommend basal body temping every morning so you can clearly see when ovulation is occurring and how long your LP is. and then start the progesterone cream about 3 days after your temp shift indicating ovulation occurred . this is the site I use to keep track of my cycles https://www.fertilityfriend.com/ttc

Thank you so much for being so sweet and advising me in this situation :hugs: I really do appreciate you taking the time to read and answer my thread.

So you do temping, so you know that you did ovulate, and sometimes you dont feel your breasts get sore until 10dpo. That makes me feel a little better. I just feel like there is a reason why I havent been getting pregnant on all those months of NTNP.. As I said, this is my first month of actually trying (BD'ing every day or at least every other day around my fertile period, taking vitamins daily, staying down for 15 min or more after sex etc), but I am still a little worried.

My problem with temping is I NEVER fall asleep at the same time, nor do I ever wake up at the same time due to my job. Dont you have to temp at the same time every day for it to be correct? I just really cant ever do that. Is there another way to find out?

So if I started using the progesterone cream like lets day today, it wouldnt do anything even if my LP was short/I had low progesterone? Could it possibly be harmful?

Thanks again :flower:

Thank you so much for being so sweet and advising me in this situation :hugs: I really do appreciate you taking the time to read and answer my thread.

So you do temping, so you know that you did ovulate, and sometimes you dont feel your breasts get sore until 10dpo. That makes me feel a little better. I just feel like there is a reason why I havent been getting pregnant on all those months of NTNP.. As I said, this is my first month of actually trying (BD'ing every day or at least every other day around my fertile period, taking vitamins daily, staying down for 15 min or more after sex etc), but I am still a little worried.

My problem with temping is I NEVER fall asleep at the same time, nor do I ever wake up at the same time due to my job. Dont you have to temp at the same time every day for it to be correct? I just really cant ever do that. Is there another way to find out?

So if I started using the progesterone cream like lets day today, it wouldnt do anything even if my LP was short/I had low progesterone? Could it possibly be harmful?

I temp on some cycles but not all of them. I normally ovulate around cd 14 so I start temping about cd 9 then continue until I see fertility friend confirm ovulation. you dont have to take it exactly the same time but you should try to temp within the same hour every morning, maybe set your alarm for the same time just to take your temp then fall back asleep?. if you cant do that then just buy some OPK's and test until you get your LH surge you can be pretty sure you will ovulate within 24-36 hours of the positive opk,
you can also check your CM to confirm ovulation typically it will be watery or alot like raw egg whites when your ovulating. and after ovulation it will change to sort of white lotiony CM.

No I dont think progesterone would be harmful at all , you just want to make sure you already ovulated because if its taken before ovulation it will stop ovulation. I do believe it can help lengthen the LP and sustain a pregnancy.
you could start the progesterone its just you dont know how many days past ovulation you are but I dont think it would hurt anything to use it for about 5 days if you dont get a BFP stop using it and AF will arrive , if you get a BFP continue using the progesterone through your 1st trimester.
:dust::dust:

I temp on some cycles but not all of them. I normally ovulate around cd 14 so I start temping about cd 9 then continue until I see fertility friend confirm ovulation. you dont have to take it exactly the same time but you should try to temp within the same hour every morning, maybe set your alarm for the same time just to take your temp then fall back asleep?. if you cant do that then just buy some OPK's and test until you get your LH surge you can be pretty sure you will ovulate within 24-36 hours of the positive opk,
you can also check your CM to confirm ovulation typically it will be watery or alot like raw egg whites when your ovulating. and after ovulation it will change to sort of white lotiony CM.

No I dont think progesterone would be harmful at all , you just want to make sure you already ovulated because if its taken before ovulation it will stop ovulation. I do believe it can help lengthen the LP and sustain a pregnancy.
you could start the progesterone its just you dont know how many days past ovulation you are but I dont think it would hurt anything to use it for about 5 days if you dont get a BFP stop using it and AF will arrive , if you get a BFP continue using the progesterone through your 1st trimester.

Well I had my period on the 30th of last month. My cycle is generally 27 days, but a few times a year it will be 30. Since my average is 27, I figured my next due day for AF is the 25th (This sunday). Or if its 27 days would that make it Monday the 26th?

On cycle day 12, I noticed a bit of the EWCM (looked like jelly, but it was definatley EWCM.. mine always looks jellyish).. It was not a HUGE glob of it, like I normally get, but it was definatley there, probably between 1/4-1/2 a teaspoon. So that was on Saturday the 10th (cycle day 12 for me) ..

That day, and a few days after, I felt the twinges, dull aches, pulling and throbbing in my ovaraies. A few times the pain was so sharp I winced. I think this went on in my ovaries for till about mid week.. I know there is no way of telling you actually ovulated unless you are temping, or getting a scan on your ovaries at the doctors. But does it sound to you like I may have ovulated that week? Then later on in the week (this past saturday the 17th) is when I started to feel my breast pain/swelling. So what do you think of all that?

So if you take progesterone cream before you ovulate, it will cause you to NOT ovulate? So what happens if you start taking it a few days after you ovulated?

How soon after you feel those pains and see that EWCM does it mean you ovulated?

If I ovulated yesterday or the day before, that would mean my LP is only 7 days, so wouldnt that be a bad thing anyyways? Wouldnt the cream help, and not harm if that was the case?

Sorry for so many questions. Feel free to ignore me if you want :)

Do NOT use progeseterone cream before ovulation or it will prevent you from o'ing.

Also, just because you get sore breasts about a week before AF doesn't mean you have a short LP. I have a 14 day LP and sometimes don't get sore breasts at all. You can't go by symptoms like that to determine if you've ovulated and how long your LP is, etc. You can ovulate and NOT get pms symptoms even if it is the usual.. that's because sometimes progesterone may not be as high as other cycles. The best way to know when you ov, and how long your LP is, is to chart BBT. If you do have a short LP, supplements like vitamin B6+B12 will help. Progesterone might help as well if it's part of the problem.. but the only way to know is going to the doctor. If you spot before AF and have a short LP, then progesterone may be the problem xx

Do NOT use progeseterone cream before ovulation or it will prevent you from o'ing.

Also, just because you get sore breasts about a week before AF doesn't mean you have a short LP. I have a 14 day LP and sometimes don't get sore breasts at all. You can't go by symptoms like that to determine if you've ovulated and how long your LP is, etc. You can ovulate and NOT get pms symptoms even if it is the usual.. that's because sometimes progesterone may not be as high as other cycles. The best way to know when you ov, and how long your LP is, is to chart BBT. If you do have a short LP, supplements like vitamin B6+B12 will help. Progesterone might help as well if it's part of the problem.. but the only way to know is going to the doctor. If you spot before AF and have a short LP, then progesterone may be the problem xx

Thanks a lot for your input. Any little bit of information helps. I have read of women saying their doctor told them a rise in progesterone rise is an indication that ovulation has occured, and if you do not notice that rise, that ovulation has not occured. I read one medical article on progestrone and its role in PMS and Menopause that blatantly said if you do not get PMS, you did not ovulate (I think they meant that for women who do get it, because I know some women never experience PMS and they have kids so...) I just dont know what to believe because a few times a year, I will notice that my breasts do not get sore and swollen at all. This is rare for me, but it happens. So I just believe that that is why. But youre right, maybe on some months it doesnt rise that high.. Who knows really

Mailnly I asked the question to see about my LP.. and thank you so much for your enouraging words. I know that charting is the magic answer for everything TTC, but that is simply not possible for me. There are even times in the year where I am not even on this continent, so it just wouldnt work... I wonder what else can be done. Like maybe I can get blood work...

I think I have ovulated already.. I had EWCM on the 10th of this month,, cycle day 12) and ovulation twinges, pains, cramps in both ovaries that day, and a few days following. Im trying to figure out when ovulation may following using those signs... Thanks again:hugs:

Well I had my period on the 30th of last month. My cycle is generally 27 days, but a few times a year it will be 30. Since my average is 27, I figured my next due day for AF is the 25th (This sunday). Or if its 27 days would that make it Monday the 26th?

On cycle day 12, I noticed a bit of the EWCM (looked like jelly, but it was definatley EWCM.. mine always looks jellyish).. It was not a HUGE glob of it, like I normally get, but it was definatley there, probably between 1/4-1/2 a teaspoon. So that was on Saturday the 10th (cycle day 12 for me) ..

That day, and a few days after, I felt the twinges, dull aches, pulling and throbbing in my ovaraies. A few times the pain was so sharp I winced. I think this went on in my ovaries for till about mid week.. I know there is no way of telling you actually ovulated unless you are temping, or getting a scan on your ovaries at the doctors. But does it sound to you like I may have ovulated that week? Then later on in the week (this past saturday the 17th) is when I started to feel my breast pain/swelling. So what do you think of all that?

So if you take progesterone cream before you ovulate, it will cause you to NOT ovulate? So what happens if you start taking it a few days after you ovulated?

How soon after you feel those pains and see that EWCM does it mean you ovulated?

If I ovulated yesterday or the day before, that would mean my LP is only 7 days, so wouldnt that be a bad thing anyyways? Wouldnt the cream help, and not harm if that was the case?

Sorry for so many questions. Feel free to ignore me if you want :)

It does sound like your ovulating around cd 12 since that is when you notice EWCM. this is when you want to BD alot because the sperm can live in EWCM for up to a week. typically EWCM means either your about to ovulate or its imminent , after ovulation the cervix hardens and CM will typically change to creamy I know mine does. Pain is not a good indicator of ovulation because cramping can happen at anytime in your cycle. try to chart your temps if you can because this will give you a better idea of your cycle.

Thanks a lot for your input. Any little bit of information helps. I have read of women saying their doctor told them a rise in progesterone rise is an indication that ovulation has occured, and if you do not notice that rise, that ovulation has not occured. I read one medical article on progestrone and its role in PMS and Menopause that blatantly said if you do not get PMS, you did not ovulate (I think they meant that for women who do get it, because I know some women never experience PMS and they have kids so...) I just dont know what to believe because a few times a year, I will notice that my breasts do not get sore and swollen at all. This is rare for me, but it happens. So I just believe that that is why. But youre right, maybe on some months it doesnt rise that high.. Who knows really

Mailnly I asked the question to see about my LP.. and thank you so much for your enouraging words. I know that charting is the magic answer for everything TTC, but that is simply not possible for me. There are even times in the year where I am not even on this continent, so it just wouldnt work... I wonder what else can be done. Like maybe I can get blood work...

I think I have ovulated already.. I had EWCM on the 10th of this month,, cycle day 12) and ovulation twinges, pains, cramps in both ovaries that day, and a few days following. Im trying to figure out when ovulation may following using those signs... Thanks again:hugs:

The only way to know if you get a rise in progesterone is by temping or getting bloods/ultrasounds. My sister does not get ANY pms at all except for right before AF, but she ovulates. That's the only way to know, you can't go by symptoms because sometimes it's not as bad as other cycles. I've ovulated and never got PMS symptoms some month. I rarely get sore breast too even though I do ovulate. If you can't chart, I suggest using OPKs and going 7 days after when you think you ovulated. Most women go on CD21, but not everyone ovulates on CD14. So I think that would be your best bet if you can't chart. Use OPKs and watch you CM, and go about 7 days after you ov to get blood work to check for ovulation. Then you should be able to figure out roughly how long your LP is. If you don't get PMS symptoms that month, that doesn't mean you don't ovulate so don't worry :flower: xx

Thanks Taylor and Lisa! I dont know what I would do without this forum.. What would any of us do? LOL..

So now my CM is thick and creamy and tacky, so would it be safe to say I ovulated already due to the CM?

You might have.. but it's difficult to go by CM to detect ov as it changes all throughout your cycle. You can even get ewcm AFTER ovulation and you can go from creamy-ewcm-creamy-ewcm then ovulate, then go creamy-ewcm-creamy, etc. you get the idea haha! It's just hard to say unless it's the same pattern every cycle. If you usually get ewcm around the same time each cycle, and have about the same lengthen of time after you suspect ovulation, then you probably did xx

This thread was so helpful. :hugs: Thanks all. :)

For a long time, I didn't get PMS symptoms... It started when I gained weight and continued until recently and I just lost all the weight a year ago. I feel like things are more "normal" now though except for a few issues.. But anyway, I think my progesterone has kicked back in because I've started getting symptoms I haven't had in years! And my BBTs were normal this time. :) I can't be sure, but I think I wasn't ovulating for a little while and now I am? I don't know what changed other than an unconfirmed chemical in June, but I'm happy things are working now.. I just hope it works enough to see a BFP soon..

These last few cycles I've been getting sore bb's, white CM, constipation, mild crampy pains, etc... all about a week before AF. I've been thinking they were false pregnancy symptoms but I read about progesterone and it seems more like that! And cervical changes are confusing to me because mine seems to stay soft, but closes almost right away after O and drops a bit, until about the DAY before AF... Is that weird?

:dust:

This thread was so helpful. :hugs: Thanks all. :)

For a long time, I didn't get PMS symptoms... It started when I gained weight and continued until recently and I just lost all the weight a year ago. I feel like things are more "normal" now though except for a few issues.. But anyway, I think my progesterone has kicked back in because I've started getting symptoms I haven't had in years! And my BBTs were normal this time. :) I can't be sure, but I think I wasn't ovulating for a little while and now I am? I don't know what changed other than an unconfirmed chemical in June, but I'm happy things are working now.. I just hope it works enough to see a BFP soon..

These last few cycles I've been getting sore bb's, white CM, constipation, mild crampy pains, etc... all about a week before AF. I've been thinking they were false pregnancy symptoms but I read about progesterone and it seems more like that! And cervical changes are confusing to me because mine seems to stay soft, but closes almost right away after O and drops a bit, until about the DAY before AF... Is that weird?

:dust:

What do you mean by "normal" bbt? My cervix drops right after ovulation and is quite hard, but it doesn't stay that way. Your cervix/cm changes all throughout your cycle so that's normal :flower:

I am glad my crazy threads help somebody, Butterfly89...

And thanks again Taylor..

Does anyone know if taking the progestrone cream would STOP my period all together or delay it? Because I have a confession to make...

So on Sunday, I accidently took 80mg of Soy insoflavones.. Once I realized it, it was too late.. So I was paranoid that the estrogen in the soy would screw something up, so to combat it, I had some estrogen cream on hand. So I used about 1/2 a teaspoon 2 times yesterday, and then one today..

Now I am afriad that if I WAS able to conceive this month, that if I stop taking it, it will cause my period to come, and then I will lose my little seed. Also afraid that if I do keep taking it, my period wont come if there is no baby, then I will mess my cycle up.

I know that Lisa told me to keep taking it until AF is expected, take a test, and if its negative, then STOP taking it. But what if my body hasnt produced enough HCG on the day that AF is due to detect pregnancy, then I stop taking it but I actually was pregnant, and stopping it will cause a MC? Im so STUPID I never should have touched the stuff! I told my TTC buddy that next month I am NOT taking anything hormonal. Im just gonna stick to the vitamins and cough syrup..

I also have been taking a b6 for good measure.. Figured it wouldnt hurt anything. I have been taking that since last month.. Last month my cycle was 30 days instead of 27.. It could be because I took soy, and the b6 or it could be because a few times a year my cycle IS 30 days a few times a year.

Either way I am so confused and feel so stupid right now. I dont know whether to keep using the cream or not Im so scared!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->