Progesterone Level Low? Or...not?

Emmyjean

Mom to 2 Wee Lads
Reaction score
Hi all, just gathering some opinions. I had blood work done last week at right around 7 weeks - the nurse called today and said the numbers (beta/hormones) were all normal. I asked specifically about the progesterone because it was low last time and she said, "I don't have it in front of me, but I think it was about 11, so you're fine".

I thought 11 was on the low side? I read that the 'average' for 1st tri is 9-47, but everyone seems to think 11 is low. But she didn't seem worried? Confused! Should I be on top of this??

11 is on the low side of normal. Some docs like to see 10+, some 12+, depends on the doc. Below 9 is often concerning. If you're concerned I would either call back to talk or make an appointment to discuss it.

Thanks! I have an appointment next Tuesday anyway for a dating scan (since my periods were on the irregular side of regular before, lol). I'll be around 8.5 weeks, which I believe is still early enough to start supplements if he wants.

I just wanted to see if I should be a psycho and be calling back demanding it be dealt with before that.

I also think 11 is slightly low. I would at least call your doctor to discuss it. At the very least I would hope they continue to monitor it just to make sure it doesn't drop further. With my mc's my progesterone levels were extremely low...first was .5 and second was 2.5...so I am paranoid about progesterone levels. This time around I started taking supplements the day I got my BFP so by the time I went in for my first blood work 2 days later my progesterone level was around 58.

I would call your doctor too and check. My doctor starts supplements for anything less than 15. I also miscarried 3 times due to low progesterone. Then I started my supplements with my 4th pregnancy the day I got my BFP and continued them til 12 weeks and delivered a healthy baby boy. I also did the progesterone supplement with this baby starting at my BFP until 12 weeks and now at 14 weeks everything still looks good.
Just call and ask - that's what they're there for, to answer your questions!! :) good luck!

I agree that you should follow up, especially if you're not doing repeat bloodwork to see the trend. My midwife writes for progesterone for anything under 15.

Thanks! I have an appointment next Tuesday anyway for a dating scan (since my periods were on the irregular side of regular before, lol). I'll be around 8.5 weeks, which I believe is still early enough to start supplements if he wants.

I just wanted to see if I should be a psycho and be calling back demanding it be dealt with before that.

my progesterone at 5 wks was 20, still my doc put me on oral n vaginal supplements... she says thre is nothng like too much progesterone in pregnancy. I thought 20 was decent.. you check with ur doc pls

Thanks Ladies. I called his office this morning and asked them to have him call me back. I'll trust his judgment in the end, but if he thinks that number is ok, then I'd rather hear it from him personally, you know? Just to make sure he's aware.

I'm sure he'll put me on them anyway because I don't think they hurt anything either way.

They could go up on their own but that would require a repeat test. Mine went up from 12, which my doctor said was borderline low, to 17 in like 36 hours. I didn't need supplements since it was above 15. I am glad you called your doctor, and hopefully they get back with you quickly. Good luck!

mine was 13 and i am taking progesterone suppositories. maybe you could ask, it wouldn't hurt anything!!

Yeah, he said it was 12, not 11, and that that should be fine on its own but that he was going to put me on the prometrium just to be 100% thorough. Glad I called!

Thanks for all the responses!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->