Progesterone not rising - is that normal?

discohospital

Reaction score
I'm currently 8 weeks pregnant. I've had 3 losses, all at 5-6 weeks so I'm happy to be this far, but also terrified!

My progesterone was
Sept 6th: 51
Sept 18: 27
Sept 25: 27

I know 27 is in the normal range (10-49 they say).
I'm even using progesterone suppositories, so this is fine.

My questions is does anybody know if it's ok that the levels don't go up?

Aren't they supposed to rise? I really don't know!

Hi, ur levels are just fine, I'm on progesterone suppositories 200 mg 3x a day rectally and my levels have consistently hovered around the 40 range, my doctor is happy with this, I wouldn't worry unless it drops. If u would feel more comfortable, ask about increasing your dosage, it won't hurt you but you'd be safe in case it dropped a little. I have read that a minimum level of 10 is required to maintain a pregnancy, my doctor likes it to be over 20, and when I had a mmc it was at 15.

Hi, ur levels are just fine, I'm on progesterone suppositories 200 mg 3x a day rectally and my levels have consistently hovered around the 40 range, my doctor is happy with this, I wouldn't worry unless it drops. If u would feel more comfortable, ask about increasing your dosage, it won't hurt you but you'd be safe in case it dropped a little. I have read that a minimum level of 10 is required to maintain a pregnancy, my doctor likes it to be over 20, and when I had a mmc it was at 15.

Thank you for your input. I'm glad to know it hovering in the same range is not a bad sign.

I was worried because my progesterone went from 51 to 27 in 2 weeks, even though it stayed at 27 the drop seemed...not good!

The RE wanted me to go from two 100 strength suppositories a day to one -- but at 8 weeks and i felt scared. They're letting me do 2 a day for a bit longer. I'm hoping till 11-12 weeks.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope this pregnancy is going great for you!

Hi again discohospital, I just went through my notes that I keep with hcg and progesterone from my weekly blood monitoring.

On 200 mg progesterone once daily vaginally my levels were 40 at 4w3d and dropped to 27 at 4w5d.

I was then increased to 2x a day (still 200 mg vaginally), my levels dropped to 21 at 5w5d.

I was then increased to 3x a day rectally (still 200 mg) - this absorbs faster with no leakage when compared to vaginally and u dont have to lie down for 15 mins afterwards. With this dosage my levels jumped to 60 at 6 weeks and dropped to 40 at 7 weeks where they have remained pretty consistent until 24Sep14 (last blood draw).

I'm looking forward to not needing progesterone supplementation after 12 weeks when the placenta takes over progesterone production, but I'm a but nervous to stop taking them, I will ask at my 12 week scan next week to make sure it's ok.

If I were you I personally wouldn't decrease the dosage from 2 to 1, that little but extra progesterone won't hurt you, it's my understanding that any extra will just be excreted but if drops too low it can lead to mc so I wouldn't chance it. Also, are you taking ur suppositories rectally or vaginally? Asking as rectally will probably increase your absorption. Good luck with ur pregnancy!

Thank you so much for the details!

I saw them when you replied, but had not logged on for ages as I was trying to prevent myself from fretting too much :wacko:

I stayed on the suppositories for the 12 weeks. I'm not sure what my levels are anymore, but I was told by my Reproductive Endocrinologist that if the placenta doesn't take over progesterone by then, then there is nothing that can be done and the pregnancy would fail.

I'm now 15 weeks and the ultrasounds (and first trimester bloodwork at 10 weeks) have all looked good...so that is what I'm going off!

It looks like you're doing well, too? :)

Hi again discohospital, I just went through my notes that I keep with hcg and progesterone from my weekly blood monitoring.

On 200 mg progesterone once daily vaginally my levels were 40 at 4w3d and dropped to 27 at 4w5d.

I was then increased to 2x a day (still 200 mg vaginally), my levels dropped to 21 at 5w5d.

I was then increased to 3x a day rectally (still 200 mg) - this absorbs faster with no leakage when compared to vaginally and u dont have to lie down for 15 mins afterwards. With this dosage my levels jumped to 60 at 6 weeks and dropped to 40 at 7 weeks where they have remained pretty consistent until 24Sep14 (last blood draw).

I'm looking forward to not needing progesterone supplementation after 12 weeks when the placenta takes over progesterone production, but I'm a but nervous to stop taking them, I will ask at my 12 week scan next week to make sure it's ok.

If I were you I personally wouldn't decrease the dosage from 2 to 1, that little but extra progesterone won't hurt you, it's my understanding that any extra will just be excreted but if drops too low it can lead to mc so I wouldn't chance it. Also, are you taking ur suppositories rectally or vaginally? Asking as rectally will probably increase your absorption. Good luck with ur pregnancy!

Your levels are normal, and Congratulations!!!

I had progesterone issues as well.

12DPO: Progest 42
15DPO: Progest 40
19DPO: Progest 27

Once I went down to 27, although a good range, my doctor put me on a progesterone supplement. One 200 mg pill a day. Around 24DPO my progesterone was 54. My doctor was happy with that so I have still been taking one pill a day. I will go down to 1 pill every other day at 12 weeks and then I think I will stop it at 13 weeks but I have to see what my doctor says. I have had a history of miscarriage, so that is why my doctor was on top of what my progesterone was.

Hope all goes well with you and that you have a happy and healthy 9 months!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->