Prolactin levels

Dime Cuando

Reaction score
Ok, so Prolactin is higher at night according to some websites.....

So how does your Prolactin know it's night if you are up and down feeding so your sleep patterns are irregular?

And what happens if you change time zones? Do your Prolactin levels get 'jet lag'?

I am probably missing something very simple but I am sure someone out there has the answer!

Ok, so Prolactin is higher at night according to some websites.....

So how does your Prolactin know it's night if you are up and down feeding so your sleep patterns are irregular?

And what happens if you change time zones? Do your Prolactin levels get 'jet lag'?

I am probably missing something very simple but I am sure someone out there has the answer!

Interesting question. I would love to know the answer myself :)

I believe it's your body's built in biological clock that 'knows' when it is night regardless of sleep patterns etc. Xx

Indeed, it's attuned to your circadian rhythm. Most of your body's hormones fluctuate according to time of day. I've also traveled across country while bf. They do get jet lag, lol! Even if you're up and down at night, your body knows it's night time unless you already have a hormonal imbalance. (Fun fact: It's not just nighttime telling your hormones what to do, it's a give and take. Your hormones prepare your body for night and tell you when it's nighttime. Patterned light and dark exposure in turn tells your hormones when it's night so they can fluctuate. It all works together in a beautiful, complicated network of chemicals and photons.) Hormone levels in people working night jobs for years are irregular and sometimes never quite go back to normal, but most people have to sleep all day and be up all night with the lights on for at least several weeks' duration to notice much of a moderate-term change in hormone fluctuations. There's actually some fun research taking place looking at prolactin levels in (non-lactating) insomniacs-- not for bf purposes, but fun research anyway. Looking forward to the publication!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->