Prometrium Progesterone Suppositories

sunshine2014

Reaction score
Hi ladies!

This is my third pregnancy after 2 losses this year, so my Dr has put me on prometrium 2 tablets vsginally at bedtime. I'm wondering If anyone else has been/is on these and can share the side effects. Tmi but here's mine:

- I find I leak throughout the night after putting them in, it's like a watery consistency
- in the morning I sometimes I get a "glob" of what looks like thick sunscreen, like spf 50. It's not a lot, and not every day but it's really thick.
- exhausted all day

I realize the last one can be pregnancy related as well, but I'm wondering if those who were TTC found they were exhausted also.

Also, were the tablets successful in leading you to a full term pregnanxy? This is my first time on it, only about 2 weeks In. So I'm just curious to know more. And also about the sunscreen like discharge.

I am on prometrium too, I insert 2 every night. The discharge is just the melted pill, it is a cream inside the sphere like monistat and is the medicine is absorbed through your vaginal wall but the cream stays. I use a liner during the day.

This is the first pregnancy I have been on it, and also the first I have carried for this long. I feel that it is really helping me keep this baby.

I'm on prometrium with all of my pgs as I tend to have lower progesterone levels during pg. I take the oral version though. However, I do know several women who take the pessiary or suppository versions and the discharge you describe is normal. As the pp said, it's just the remnants of the pill coming out. And tiredness can also be a side effect of the progesterone. I sometimes get really tired and dizzy after taking a dose.

Just one more note-when using progesterone, especially in the pessiary or suppository forms, it can also cause spotting because the hormone is going directly to the cervix/uterus and the cervix can get really irritated as a result. Just wanted to warn you because I've had it happen to me and it's very terrifying when you have a history of miscarriage.

Hi, I'm on cyclogest progesterone suppositories. I had the exact discharge you are talking about, so have switched to taking them rectally. No mess and no yucky knickers!

I also feel very tired, but like you say, could just be the preg hormones.

Good luck, I hope you have your sticky baby xx

Thanks ladies. I really hope this is going to help me keep this one.

Thanks for the heads up regarding possible spotting, it's so scary when you've had a loss, or two. I'm constantly on edge. My Dr started me on this the day after my bfp, so hoping it works.

So just so I'm clear....the actually progesterone importsnt part should be getting absorbed shortly after inserting, right? So the sunscreen like guck isn't it..? I'm glad because I was thinking that nothing was staying in there.

I'm on it too. It didn't help with my chemical last month (if a pregnancy isn't Good the progesterone can't help it).. My doc doesn't believe it works but she has me on it anyway for my sanity. Yep I can't tell if I'm exhausted because of the pill or not but its not terrible. The discharge is annoying but I find it to be less at night since I'm staying in bed mostly. My doc said not to worrh about the discharge as the uterus cannot "digest" it all - since these pills are supposed to be taken orally and digested. The uterus takes what it needs.

This is my 4th pregnancy. 3 losses with no progesterone and my 1st success after starting the suppositories. I inserted mine the back way (rectally) and had no issues with discharge or spotting. good luck!

I've done 6 ivf's all with progesterone up the hoohaa. I had to do it in the morning and evening. I was tired of the mess so I've opted for injections which I do everyday. I'm almost done now at my 12th week. If you find that this pregnancy doesn't work out you should really get fully tested for immune issues. After my 4th IVF I found out I had Thrombophelia and Antiphospholipid Antibodies. Two very serious blood clotting issues. There's NO way that I'd be able to carry without taking blood thinners everyday, which is why my baby now has made it past the dreaded 8th week. That's the max we ever made it without getting tested for immune issues.

I had to do the progesterone pessories for 12 weeks. It is gross and messy.

My baby is now 4 months old :)

Thanks! That's great to hear. It's definitely my least favourite part of the day lol, well Thst and the crazy all day ms. BUT, it's nice to hear a success story. Fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->