Prometrium

MrsAmk

Reaction score
Anyone else taking this by mouth in the first tri?

I wonder if I should switch to taking it vaginally....

I take it orally and vaginally (in two different types of vaginal supplements).

It's definitely different for everyone. The vaginal supplements are generally stronger, and they get the progesterone right where it needs to be, but not everyone needs it.

My thoughts would be, if you have lining concerns, spotting, or are taking oral progesterone and still have low levels, you may want to discuss switching to vaginal (or adding a vaginal) with your doctor.

I take it orally and vaginally (in two different types of vaginal supplements).

It's definitely different for everyone. The vaginal supplements are generally stronger, and they get the progesterone right where it needs to be, but not everyone needs it.

My thoughts would be, if you have lining concerns, spotting, or are taking oral progesterone and still have low levels, you may want to discuss switching to vaginal (or adding a vaginal) with your doctor.

Thanks! My levels were fine last we checked, but that was 2 weeks ago. I just have read now that taking it orally could cause birth defects?? Why on earth would my OB prescribe it that way if so?

No worries.

The concerns there is really progestins. Prometrium NOT a synthetic progestin. It is a bioidentical hormone.

No worries.

The concerns there is really progestins. Prometrium NOT a synthetic progestin. It is a bioidentical hormone.

Oh that's good.....so why does it say "if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, consult your doctor before using this medication"?

I think something like 99 percent of medications say that, because your doc should definitely know everything you're taking if you're pregnant.

So for example, someone could be taking prometrium for other reasons (it is prescribed for a few other things) before coming pregnant. They could be on a dangerous dose of it, or if their OB didn't know they were on it, or they may analyze test results incorrectly, not realizing they were medicated.

I'm only taking it bc I was slightly spotting. My levels are high. It's stopped the spotting though almost instantly!

I started it last week vaginally. I spotted from 13dpo and kept spotting. They checked my blood level and it was low. No spotting since I started it. I have heard there are less side effects from vaginally. My friend took it orally and she was so exhausted and moody. I was going to ask for vaginally if my OB said to take orally. I want it as close to my uterus as possible. I would discuss it with your Dr next appt. Maybe there is a reason your Dr has you on oral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->