Protein Allergy

Bams6

Reaction score
Hello my little one was born premature 8 weeks early spent 2montha in the nicu and now home he started on nutramigen and was spitting up a ton screaming arching his back and his tummy was hard as a rock went to the pediatrician and he said he has an allergy to the protein in milk and put him on elacare still didn’t do much and then pediatrician started him on reflux medicine been on that for two weeks now and he still arch his back screams spits up a ton and can tell he just not comfortable does anyone have any suggestion on a formula I should try the pediatrician said next step could be soy I just want my little one to be happy and not in pain thank you!!!

Hi Bams6

It a shame to hear about your boy's protein allergy, but you guys will work your way through it!
I know a mom who had the same experience with her girl, my niece.
She always used a formula brand called babys only which do a soy based version.
It was quite expensive if I am remembering correctly but the girl loved it compared to other cheaper ones.

Hope that helps x

If he has a severe allergy he might need a formula that is completely cows milk free. Unfortunately Soy protein has quite a similar structure to cows milk protein so sometimes they can develop an allergy to soy too!

Have you had allergy tests done?

Looking at the ingredients list for Elacare formula it appears to have no traces of milk in it at all. How long has he been on this formula now ? Could it still be that his body is still clearing out from nutramigen

If you feel it’s not helping I would ask for Neocate , this is apparently the best milk for babies who suffer with CMPA.

DD2 has this allergy and they gave reflux medication too when they wasn’t sure what was going on . We switched to soya milk and after a few days her tummy was horrendous! After a call to our dietician she told me she would never recommend giving a baby with CMPA soya milk as like Noon says the proteins are so similar , so GP was wrong to advise this . She’s on coconut milk only now.

Good luck x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->