Public Shaming

Especially with how viral these pictures/videos etc go now.

It's never ok to humiliate your child, for any reason whatsoever IMO. The thought of doing that to Tegan horrifies me

This is the video I was talking about if anyone hasn't seen it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1ujzRidmU

What about if you caught your child slagging you off on Facebook, how would you react to that?

I wouldnt go damaging property thats for sure, I would be having words in my own home between my child and me not using the entire world to discipline my child and make an idiot of myself.

I agree, I think he took it to the extreme, there's so many better ways he could of handled that without humiliating his daughter and himself, and damaging a laptop like that?!

He must have loads of money. If I broke my childs lap top I had paid for I would be pissed. There are so many things he could have done, just removed lap top (not something I would do) but to actually shot it . He just looked like an idiot, someone who couldnt think of a better way to handle a situation as the adult. I am not shocked his daughter is acting that way as he dosnt seem approachable. And theres always two sides to the story to.

To many parents dont know how to respect their children and they expect it back again. They dont seem to realise all this isnt respect. You treat how you want to be treated.

He must have loads of money. If I broke my childs lap top I had paid for I would be pissed. There are so many things he could have done, just removed lap top (not something I would do) but to actually shot it . He just looked like an idiot, someone who couldnt think of a better way to handle a situation as the adult. I am not shocked his daughter is acting that way as he dosnt seem approachable. And theres always two sides to the story to.

To many parents dont know how to respect their children and they expect it back again. They dont seem to realise all this isnt respect. You treat how you want to be treated.

Dragonfly I'm interested in why you would not remove a laptop or the like if your children were abusing the right to use it- abusing it is probably not the right word but I've had a bad day so apologise :)

I do think the shooting of the laptaop was a bit OTT but apparently it was not the first time she had used FB to slag her parents off. I would have shut the account down.

Respect is definatley a 2 way street and I try to treat Emily with the respect I would like back, if I shout she shouts back and vice versa , but I do have to say teens have a certain knack to pushing the right buttons at the right time, and a childs attitude can shine through no matter how they are brought up.
Emily was a lovely sweet polite child until she hit puberty and started high school, she is generally still well behaved but my god she is also like a banshee without any provacation.

Dragonfly I'm interested in why you would not remove a laptop or the like if your children were abusing the right to use it- abusing it is probably not the right word but I've had a bad day so apologise :)

I do think the shooting of the laptaop was a bit OTT but apparently it was not the first time she had used FB to slag her parents off. I would have shut the account down.

Respect is definatley a 2 way street and I try to treat Emily with the respect I would like back, if I shout she shouts back and vice versa , but I do have to say teens have a certain knack to pushing the right buttons at the right time, and a childs attitude can shine through no matter how they are brought up.
Emily was a lovely sweet polite child until she hit puberty and started high school, she is generally still well behaved but my god she is also like a banshee without any provacation.
I am not sure if I would remove or not, it wouldnt solve the problem by removing it. Why would my child do that thats what I would be thinking? removing it wouldnt be top of the list first and foremost, finding out why would be my main issue. Clearly if my children where slagging me off online I have pissed them off. What I am saying is removing the lap top wont solve why my child is angry with me.

I dont get the shooting thin, surely we teach our children to respect the things we own. Shooting it doesnt do that, at all.

Yep that too. Doesnt teach a child to respect the firearm either does it, says to me if someone pisses me off then I can use it to attack their property. I am guessing people who are responsible with their firearms would never want their children to think using it in those circumstances is okay.

I think we can all surmise how we will be when our kids are teens but in reality until they are we can think all we want - doesn't mean that it'll happen like that. I had firm beliefs while pregnant on what I would/wouldn't do that have completely gone out the window now that she's here. :haha:

Of course, I'm not saying that anyone on here is going to go to the extreme of shooting a laptop of course. That's an extreme case in public shaming IMO. But it does seem like how the other stuff (signs, fb shaming) is becoming more popular.

Well I can say now I know I wont be shaming my kids online or damaging their property I paid for. As for the rest it is hard to judge how you will react but you react but you have an idea as you know yourself. Me doing any of the mentioned would be out of character.

I'd never shoot a laptop... id sell it :haha:

More than likely what I'd do too. :haha:

DF - Agree, I'm not sure what I'd do either but I hated feeling humiliated as a kid... I wouldn't want to do that to Claire.

My mum shamed me and threatened me with it a lot. So much so I was afraid to ask to go to the loo in school in case my mum found out I had annoyed the teacher.As a result I would soil myself which brought me a lot of shame. I have problems now going out if I dont know where a loo is. Its embarrassing for me. She would totally slay me and cut me up but not in front of people as she would be seen for what she was, which was a bully to me.She made me feel ashamed of myself and cause so much problems with self esteem and anxiety. I never bothered to do so many things in case I would make her ashamed more of me. And I didnt want her to throw that at me and it hurt so much I couldnt bare it, didnt speak to many, even if I knew the answer in school I didnt answer. It was done so much that I shamed myself if I got something wrong.Constantly worried about her and what she would do to me. I was introvert, sensitive and shy. Very last thing you should do on a child like that. So to me public shaming which seems worse than even what I had seems like a total self worth killer for a child among other things. You ever hear your inner voice being your mum make sure they are nice, I know that saying all to well. Soul destroying.

My mum shamed me and threatened me with it a lot. So much so I was afraid to ask to go to the loo in school in case my mum found out I had annoyed the teacher.As a result I would soil myself which brought me a lot of shame. I have problems now going out if I dont know where a loo is. Its embarrassing for me. She would totally slay me and cut me up but not in front of people as she would be seen for what she was, which was a bully to me.She made me feel ashamed of myself and cause so much problems with self esteem and anxiety. I never bothered to do so many things in case I would make her ashamed more of me. And I didnt want her to throw that at me and it hurt so much I couldnt bare it, didnt speak to many, even if I knew the answer in school I didnt answer. It was done so much that I shamed myself if I got something wrong.Constantly worried about her and what she would do to me. I was introvert, sensitive and shy. Very last thing you should do on a child like that. So to me public shaming which seems worse than even what I had seems like a total self worth killer for a child among other things. You ever hear your inner voice being your mum make sure they are nice, I know that saying all to well. Soul destroying.

My mother was definitely the same. She didn't do stuff like that per se, which is horrible. :( I'm so sorry.

I'm adopted. When I was 16 she threatened to send me back to CAS, be adopted by someone else and become someone else's problem. Words can hurt so bad. :nope:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->