Pumping at work and job interview (Especially US)

misspriss

Reaction score
Okay, so I was notified last month that I will be laid off at the end of November. I could wait until then and then draw unemployment and be cool for a while, not work all holidays, etc...but that isn't me really.

I have come across a job posting for a job I really think would work well, and I'm going to apply for it. I'm a bit concerned about pumping though. My current employer has been quite generous with my pumping breaks, although the law only requires them to give me unpaid breaks and a place to pump my employer has allowed me to take breaks during my paid working time (I'm salaried) and no make it up/work longer. I know I can't expect the same of a new employer.

But I want to make sure they would have some kind of accommodation for me, at least a place to pump, etc. I'm afraid to bring it up in an interview though, it seems as though it would make me less hirable.

I'm just concerned about interviewing for and starting a new job while I am still pumping. I'm in a precarious spot anyway, since DS is over a year I am no longer protected under federal law, although I'm pretty sure the state law has no such age restriction, it also isn't as generous about places to pump.

I'm just really nervous and wondered if anyone had been through the same.

I am curious to see what people say. I will be needing to look for a job soon...and will need to pump as well. I live in Texas. Where do you live?

Me personally, I'd wait to get the job offer before asking about personal needs. I say that only because they can "discriminate" against you being a Mom/pumping easier if they haven't hired you yet. Once they offer you the job, you can ask about pumping - and they must know that by law they have to give you reasonable accommodations to pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->