Pumping at Work?

Feronia

Reaction score
I go back to work in a few months, and shortly afterwards, our entire office will be moving buildings. Right now everyone has been planning to new layout, and one of the things I've noticed is that there will be no nursing room in the new building (according to the layouts they have been sending around). Our current building has a nice nursing room, so I'm sort of disappointed that there won't be one in the new building.

I live very close to my work, and DH was going to bring DD over occasionally to nurse while I'm transitioning back to work, and then I also plan to pump in order to keep my supply up. I have absolutely no qualms with nursing in public without a cover, but I'd like a private place to pump.

My question: since people from my work are asking for feedback and suggestions on the layout, is it appropriate for me to mention that I'd like a private place to pump? Where do you all pump at work?

Absolutely! Here it is law that you have a place that locks that isn't a bathroom.

I would say definitely yes. For yourself, and for future employees who will also need a space to pump, too!

I go back to work in a few months, and shortly afterwards, our entire office will be moving buildings. Right now everyone has been planning to new layout, and one of the things I've noticed is that there will be no nursing room in the new building (according to the layouts they have been sending around). Our current building has a nice nursing room, so I'm sort of disappointed that there won't be one in the new building.

I live very close to my work, and DH was going to bring DD over occasionally to nurse while I'm transitioning back to work, and then I also plan to pump in order to keep my supply up. I have absolutely no qualms with nursing in public without a cover, but I'd like a private place to pump.

My question: since people from my work are asking for feedback and suggestions on the layout, is it appropriate for me to mention that I'd like a private place to pump? Where do you all pump at work?

Yes, it is VERY appropriate. I know know where you are, but where I live, it is a legal requirement for work places to have a private location with a locking door that is not a closet or a bathroom to pump. That doesn't mean they have to have a designated pumping room, but they do have to accommodate a mother who needs to pump. I haven't had a permanent job yet and pumped in my car while subbing (work as a teacher). Then when I had a more long term position, I pumped in my car until the weather got hot and then I used an empty office. Recently I've been working another long term position. I used a closet and occasionally my car. Now I have a job where I'll be working from home so it's not an issue. If I had a permanent position, I might be more picky, but maybe not. I'm not too bothered as long as it's private and not a bathroom.

Thank you all for your feedback! I ended up sending an email asking about it, so we'll see what they say. :) There are designated nursing rooms spread across campus, but there isn't one in the new building. The closest one is a few blocks away and requires the mom to check out a key ahead of time, so it would be a huge PITA to do that for every pumping break... I'm hoping I'm not being too picky!

I don't think you are being too picky. That sounds very time consuming...surely your work would prefer for you to have someplace closer and more convenient, given that the time you'll have to spend pumping is fixed.

Thank you all! I got a response back that there are private drop-in spaces that I could use to pump and that they will be checking to see whether they can add in a private nursing room like our old building! :) I am happy that they are being accommodating and that I asked.

I'm glad you mentioned it to them, and also happy they're taking it into consideration. Having a convenient (not to mention private) place to pump is so important when you're trying to keep your supply up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->