Pumping frustration

EmmaFTM

Reaction score
I have always been able to get at least 4oz per pumping session (somethimes up to 9oz) but recently I have struggled to get 2oz. I'm worried as I am planning to leave Lily with my mum when I go out for my OH's Christmas party and need to leave her about 6 bottles of EBM. I have had what seems like a period for the past week and so was wondering if this may have affected my supply. Can anyone offer any advice? I really hope I'm not starting to produce less milk!!!

Pumping doesnt indicate production. I know i have problems with pumping because i dont do it often, so i dont get a good letdown. Also, They hit a growth spurt around 12 weeks so maybe your LO is drinking a bit more before you pump. How long will you be gone for? My LO is drinking 6-8 oz in about 9 hours. I nurse him before I go, and then about 9 hours later he nurses when I get home. If I get home a little sooner he only drinks about 5 oz of he can wait for that last bottle.

Are you eating well hun? i know that can affect your supply, i found that at times where i didnt get a chance to eat much my supply would drop a wee bit x

I'm not eating particularly well at all and regularly skip breakfast or lunch; sometimes both. I have, however, been eating better than what I did when I managed to pump 4oz+.

I am only away for the one night and Lily is going to be leaving about 3pm and I will pick her up the following morning- say 11am. She sleeps through from 10-6/7 so should be on but want my mum to have enough- just in case. She has had growth spurts earlier as she is a big baby so maybe it is the 12 week one early. I think I have just got used to having a good supply of EMB (hubby feeds her once a day) I have panicked as it seems to have dropped. Lo also seems to feed for a shorter time too- does that mean anything???

Thanks for your replies. Xx

I'm not eating particularly well at all and regularly skip breakfast or lunch; sometimes both. I have, however, been eating better than what I did when I managed to pump 4oz+.

I am only away for the one night and Lily is going to be leaving about 3pm and I will pick her up the following morning- say 11am. She sleeps through from 10-6/7 so should be on but want my mum to have enough- just in case. She has had growth spurts earlier as she is a big baby so maybe it is the 12 week one early. I think I have just got used to having a good supply of EMB (hubby feeds her once a day) I have panicked as it seems to have dropped. Lo also seems to feed for a shorter time too- does that mean anything???

Thanks for your replies. Xx

Probably means that she is gettingmore efficient. I noticed a few weeks ago that when LO is hungry he will finsish a side in less than 5 minutes, before it was 20! Your letdown might not be stimulated as well if she is nursing better. If you can work it out pumping on one side and nursing on the other works well for me. I can do that then switch LO over to the other side and he gets more milk out than the pump did and is satisfied. One time I had to give him an oz from what I had just pumped.

I will try that- thanks. She also only takes 5-10 minutes per side to fill up whereas before it was more like 15-20 mins per side. Hope I get it figured out in time- might just freeze what I can now to be sure I can make it to the party as it's all paid for! Great advice thank you. X

i had this a couple of weeks ago hun. i used to be able to get 6oz in one go and then i was only getting 1oz.

ive just started pumping again now and am getting 3/4oz at a time.

also apparently being on your period does affect your supply.x

^^ I thought it might have something to do with it as I have really noticed the drop since having my period. Think I will pump like crazy once the period has stopped and just hope that I get enough- otherwise I won't be going to the party!! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->