Pumping mothers - need help! Is my body reject the pump?!?

mara16jade

Mommy of 2 little boys
Reaction score
I've noticed over the past week that I can sometimes only pump a little bit out of my bbs. But I'm still BF'ing just fine when I'm home after work/on weekends. Just for example, my DH took the middle of the night feeding so I didn't have to get up (we've been doing this for almost 2 months -switching who gets up and who doesn't). So I went 7+ hours, and in the morning LO was too tired to nurse off one side so I only fed him one bb. I pumped when I got to work and only got 2 ounces out of the one he didn't eat off of, and my bb is still rock hard!

Is it possible to reject the pump? Or maybe my body isn't getting the hormonal signal for let down and the pump just can't get the milk out?

::sigh:: I'm worried about losing my supply. :nope:

I've never been able to trigger a let down with a pump. Have you tried all the tricks, like a warm flannel, photo of LO, pump one side while you feed from the other?

Personally, I'd start doing all the night feeds again just to keep that signal going to your boobs that they need to keep making milk. I know it's nice to have help, but is it worth risking your supply for?

I've never been able to trigger a let down with a pump. Have you tried all the tricks, like a warm flannel, photo of LO, pump one side while you feed from the other?

Personally, I'd start doing all the night feeds again just to keep that signal going to your boobs that they need to keep making milk. I know it's nice to have help, but is it worth risking your supply for?

I agree with this, I am still the one getting up at night because I dont dare risk my supply; a bit of sleep now just isnt worth it to me in the long run.

Make sure your pump flanges are the right size, also. That can make a lot of difference. Ive found if I also warm up the flanges before putting them off it's a lot easier on me.

I wish I could have him feed on one side and pump on the other, but while I'm at work...that's just not an option. And sometimes I'm pumping in parking lots in my car when I'm traveling to different sites.

I might think about doing one of the night feeds again, but omg am I tired in the morning! I was a wreck when I was doing all the night feeds.

The cone things are the right size, and I just replaced all the silicone flanges. So suction is good - I had a failure in the suction two weeks ago and wow did that throw me for a loop!

I think one of the issues is I feel zero connection when pumping (how the heck can you? LOL) and I'm always rushed. :( Either in my car or hurrying in my office to pump to get back to meetings or projects. I just don't know what happened?! Everything was going well until the last week or two and my left side just doesn't want to produce when I pump. My work weeks are getting longer (50+ hours a week) and higher stress. I didn't think that would do anything though.

Thanks ladies!

Have you tried nipple stimulation to trigger letdown reflex prior to pumping? If your body doesn't like the pump you can try hand expressing instead. I watched a YouTube video on it and I get way more milk that way. I only pump/express after feeds or when engorged and that's what works for me.

Thanks! No, I haven't tried nipple stimulation before pumping. I will try that in about 45mins!

I'm eating lactation cookies, taking Fenugreek, just ordered Mother's Milk tea (should be here on Friday) and will also try stimulation. If this doesn't work, I seriously don't know what the heck is going on!?

I would agree with poster above try hand expressing to start the let down. Then have the pump take over. It's hard to pump when your rushed and stressed. Don't beat yourself up over it. As long as you are still bf you will continue to make milk

OK, yesterday I did stimulation on the last pump and I was able to get two let downs and pumped a little more. Today it looks like my weak producing bb fixed?! I just pumped in one session as much as I did the ENTIRE day yesterday.

Lots of water, RRLT, prenatal vitamin, Fenugreek and lactation cookies. Tomorrow my Mother's Milk arrives and I will probably replace the RRLT with the Mother's Milk. :thumbup: Thanks everyone, I hope this continues to go in the right direction. I don't know what the heck happened, but yesterday I pumped just under 3oz on my left (total for the day) and on Monday I pumped 2oz! Just now after one pump, I pumped almost 3oz. :happydance:

And to think when I was pregnant I just wanted to try and get to 6 months and then stop breastfeeding. :rofl: I about had a heartattack that I may have to give up at almost 7 months because I thought I was drying up. Guess I'm not ready to stop (and I know he's not either!). :blush:

I have low supply on days I ovulate and right before/during my period. Could have been an estrogen spike due to ovulation or something. I'd chart your low supply days and see if they line up with a menstrual cycle, that way if it is that, you expect them and don't need to worry about them as much :)

Yeah, I was thinking about that. But the last two AF cycles I had a slightly lower milk output for about 1-2 days and it was RIGHT before my AF arrived. I guess if AF comes early, them maybe that was it. This was just soooo drastic. Not a slight reduction in milk. :shrug: I O'd about a week ago, and AF is due in about a week.

If it was just because of AF, I'll be happy. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->