Pumping question

sproutly2003

Reaction score
My LO is 1 week today. I'm pumping once a day but can't get much more than 1oz. Will this get better in time?

The short answer is... maybe.

Your supply will naturally go up as baby goes through growth spurts and stimulates you to make more. You can also create the same effect yourself by pumping more frequently and for longer each session. If baby feeds from one side per feed you could try pumping and feeding at the same time. I also had good results with nursing tea but you need a lot and it's not that nice. In essence though, your body makes more milk when it's told to, either by baby suckling more or you pumping more. Most babies will cluster feed to up your supply, but if you want to make even more milk on top of that to store, you will have to do the work.

BUT some people never respond all that well to a pump. What type are you using? The type, speed, size of the nipple guard can all have an effect. Every person is different too - I know that dropping a single feed/pumping session made my milk go down, others are able to get just as much milk at fewer sessions.

It's too early to worry though. Your milk is barely in, you must be exhausted and your body is currently making food for a tiny baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->