Pumping timings for when you're not replacing a feed with a bottle

T

Toms Mummy

I hope the title made sense :wacko: couldn't think of another way of wording it!

As Ross would say, Anyway..... I have pumped for the 1st time this evening, but I'm not doing it to replace a feed with a bottle, I'm just doing it to build up a stash just incase (plus there is a christmas party I'd like to go to in a month's time :blush:). But I was wondering if how I did it tonight was best as not to mess with my supply, or not have any milk when she wakes up!

She fed about an hour and a half ago, she only fed on one side. So I have expressed from that same side to make sure that there is enough in the other side for when she wakes up. Is this the right way to do it? She never usually empties both boobs so I'm wondering whether another way of doing it would be to express the remaining milk once she has finished feeding? what do you think?

I normally offer both boobs for a feed and he empties both most feeds - Usually the best for pumping for me is after a morning feed as they're that full that he only takes around half a second boob so I finish that one off. Also I pump at night. He only takes one boob at night so I pump the other one whilst he's feeding then when he next gets up in the night I offer that one and pump the other one. I tend to not have time to pump during the day much at all so just don't bother.

Thanks Noo, so the morning one is probably best then. I too have more then. I would never be motivated enough to do it in the middle of the night but as I'll only be feeding a bottle occasionally then I bet the morn one will be sufficient Thanks :)

I fed her the milk I expressed this evening just to get her used to using a bottle. I don't want to give her one every day though, should I use a bottle once a day for this week and then cut it down, just to get her used to using one?

I give Jenson gripe water every evening so I tend to use the bottle then with 1oz of EBM to dilute it a little.

I think until 6 weeks most would recommend only offering a bottle 1-2 times a week to avoid nipple confusion though others state it is irrelevant! Sorry, that isn't very helpful!

Yeah thats helpful, thanks!... Ny son never took a bottle as I left it toi late (12 weeks) to introduce one and he refused. So ill be cautious this time as not to confuse her!

I agree with noo. I pump in the morning 2x after LO feeds for 10 mins. I am able to stash 5oz a day which is what I'm aiming for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->