Purchases you didn't need to make?

Bumper for the crib, when your up at 3am changing a sheet, its a pain in the a$$ when you have to take off the bumper. Havent used it since. After this incident i got those pads that way were not changing sheets at 3am

I love my sling/carrier. Couldn't be without them. I shouldn't have wasted £30 on a swing!

Didnt need-
Change table:
it was good while we were sharing one room at MIL's as it was easy, but then once we got our own place, i just changed him on my bed during the night and now he sleeps through. and during the day i change him on the floor on a mat.

Bibs:
Didnt really need them/use them up until now as he is on solids, but before i just used the nappy cloths to wipe his face.

Oh and atm nappy bag, i bought one thats a bit big, and ive used it only for when i go to my mums(4 hours away)
I use one of my old school bags as its smaller and easier

Thats all i can think of really. As i liked using the baby baths, and i still do even though its a little difficult. :p
But things that i found were really good,
Definatly the wondersuits, as it was winter.

Steam steriliser,

Bouncer!! Even thought at first he didnt like it, but its the best, im a bit sad hes about to grow out of it. (but maybe he will be sitting before that happens :hehe:

One of these, https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Ocean-Wonders-Soothe-Seahorse/dp/B000W3XEQM
He loves it and its good for putting him to sleep.

Theres somethng i want to get that i think will be good, one of those thing to put in the shopping trolley where they sit, as he can sit up in them if i strap him in and it makes shopping so much easier!!

Waste of money: cot bedding sets - don't use the quilt or bumpers, should've spent the money on more sheets and blankets.
Swing - LO won't even sit in it without screaming.
Sling - same as above.
Baby bath - same again lol. She has one of them seats that goes in the big bath.
Toys for newborn - she's 3 months now and still doesn't play with them.
Top n tail bowl - although now used to keep LO's changing stuff in so not such a bad buy, depending on how you look at it.
Cot mobile - keeps LO entertained while I nip to the loo but otherwise not used.
Haven't needed baby monitor yet but might come in handy when she's in her own room.
Also bought a baby food maker - steams vegies then purées them. Again will find out when she's bigger but suspect it won't have been worth the 60 quid we paid for it, especially as I want to try BLW.

Best buys: Bouncy chair,
Moses basket - it only lasted us 8 weeks but was so worth it in the early days, we put it downstairs during the day so she had somewhere to nap but the best thing was you could pick it up and swing it to get LO off to sleep. I was so sad when we had to move LO to her big cot.
tomee tipee bottle warmer - basically a mini thermos that fits in your changing bag so you don't have to find the nearest cafe when LO needs a feed.
Ewan the dream sheep - OMG where would I be without you Ewan? I love you!!
Changing mat - not sure why some people don't like theirs. I think its nice and cumfy and LO likes to just lie on it and watch tv after a change :)
Baby gym - although only started showing interest last month.
BF pillow.
Steam steriliser - although not really necessary, I like mine.
Electric breast pump - so glad I didn't bother with a manual one coz there's no way i could sit pumping it by hand for half an hour each time!
Muslin squares - use them all the time and LO now uses them as comfort blankets (its really cute :) )

Waste of money: cot bedding sets - don't use the quilt or bumpers, should've spent the money on more sheets and blankets.
Swing - LO won't even sit in it without screaming.
Sling - same as above.
Baby bath - same again lol. She has one of them seats that goes in the big bath.
Toys for newborn - she's 3 months now and still doesn't play with them.
Top n tail bowl - although now used to keep LO's changing stuff in so not such a bad buy, depending on how you look at it.
Cot mobile - keeps LO entertained while I nip to the loo but otherwise not used.
Haven't needed baby monitor yet but might come in handy when she's in her own room.
Also bought a baby food maker - steams vegies then purées them. Again will find out when she's bigger but suspect it won't have been worth the 60 quid we paid for it, especially as I want to try BLW.

Best buys: Bouncy chair,
Moses basket - it only lasted us 8 weeks but was so worth it in the early days, we put it downstairs during the day so she had somewhere to nap but the best thing was you could pick it up and swing it to get LO off to sleep. I was so sad when we had to move LO to her big cot.
tomee tipee bottle warmer - basically a mini thermos that fits in your changing bag so you don't have to find the nearest cafe when LO needs a feed.
Ewan the dream sheep - OMG where would I be without you Ewan? I love you!!
Changing mat - not sure why some people don't like theirs. I think its nice and cumfy and LO likes to just lie on it and watch tv after a change :)
Baby gym - although only started showing interest last month.
BF pillow.
Steam steriliser - although not really necessary, I like mine.
Electric breast pump - so glad I didn't bother with a manual one coz there's no way i could sit pumping it by hand for half an hour each time!
Muslin squares - use them all the time and LO now uses them as comfort blankets (its really cute :) )

Fantastic List!! :thumbup:

I have a very expensive hoppop changing mat which I haventused yet. I just use the one we got in the free boots changing bag (binned the bag-it's crap) and change on our bed. I bought special swaddle cloths which I've megadoses as lo hated it, and too many newborn/ 0-1 outfits and babygrows as he was only in them 3-4 weeks xx

Here's a list of all the things I've Bought/Accumulated so far:

-Cot/Crib Depending on where you live & mattress
-7 Fitted sheets
-Tetra Snuggle Bed, was purchased for me, I haven't decided if I will use it yet but no money lost if I don't
-Cellular and Waffle blankets, 4 of each (these probably won't be used until about 3 months as she is due at the end of Summer and it's quite warm here)
-Muslin Wraps and Swaddles
-Various other light and warmer blankets made by my Mum & MIL
-Changing Pad to sit on top of the dresser as a makeshift change table, or even just for the floor
- Rocking chair that was given to us, probably won't get used, but nice to have anyway
-Body Suits, short and long sleeved, in Newborn, 3 and 6 month sizes..
-I was given a nice diaper bag as a gift, so also don't have to worry about that one. Would like to buy an organiser to put inside it though as its quite big!
-And of course the car seat

Things I intend to buy:
-Sleeping bags/Gro Bags, just 1 or 2 to see if they are for us
-A cheap baby bath, in case I decide the big bath is easier
-Considering buying a bassinet or moses basket, but there is enough room in our room for the cot, so not sure yet...

Im waiting until after she is born to buy a monitor, if I think that we need one...

My Aunt in Law has decided that she is purchasing our pram, so again, no big deal if it doesn't get much use...

I haven't decided yet if we are going to purchase a swing/bouncer/rocker, or if we are going to use a baby carrier... maybe I can delegate these purchases to a family member lol...

Am I on track?? lol

I couldn't do without a changing mat, she wees on almost all nappy changes! I couldn't do without scratch mitts either as she is still scratching her face at 4 weeks, she tries to gouge her eyes out sometimes.

We bought a tummy tub bath, used it Sunday and it seemed lethal! I won't be using it again until she's a fair bit older. I washed her in a pound shop washing up bowl at my mums and it was fine. I def prefer to have something though, wouldn't use the sink because of the hot tap and when I took her in with me she poo'd in the water!

We haven't used our monitor yet.

Things I couldn't of done without when lo with tiny:

Fisher price baby bath (one with hammock) made her bath times do much easier , two hands spare and lo loved it!!
Bouncer chair - my lo hated being on floor!!
Dummies- would not be without them!! My lo would of sucked on me all day given the chance!!
Sleepsuits that have poppers all the way up (not the cute ones with poppers just at bottom, or just done one leg) didn't fancy trying to break daughters neck or leg trying to get her into them!!!

Things I bought but didn't use til she was older:

Glider chair - never used for bf as lo sttn but use it now for bedtime stories and middle of night cuddles
Cuddly toys - my lo loves going to sleep with her bear that I bought before she was born she also sits and plays with them. Same with Lamaze toys!!
Spare cheap baby bag - use it to take selection of toys when going to friends/ family houses
Easier than turning up with carrier bags full!!!

Scratch mitts are invaluable as LO is constantly scratching her face, but by far the best thing to have are sleepsuits with folder over mitts, LIFESAVER especially as the gloves never stay on at night! I am stockpiling them now!

We havent used any sudocrem yet, i have loads of it too, baby hasnt needed it!

Plain olive oil has been fantastic for clearing up babys dry skin :)

Love my microwave steriliser, so quick and easy!

Havent used my bottle warmer, doubt i will as baby is breastfeeding and when she does have an expressed bottle she has it at room temp!

It clearly varies from baby to baby but the things we use a lot are:

- video monitor- it's indespensable, I can see if she is awake even in night mode

-baby bath and top/tail bowl- we use it every day. I don't use wipes, only cotton wool and water for nappy changes

- sleeping bags - great buy, although we only started using them in the cot, we used blankets in the moses basket

-muslins - i think i bought about 20, use them for all sorts of things, even covering myself while breastfeeding

Things I wish I hadn't bought:

- expensive bouncer - she hates it! I wish I didn't spend so much money on it, should have bought a cheapie one, not all singing all dancing, mp3 playing from mamas and papas.

- changing table - we actually have a chest of drawers with changer on top. I always change her on the floor so that was a bit of a waste of time.

- blankets and bedding set for cot- we only use sleeping bags, they are a godsend
-

Don't forget!! Every LO is different. We bought lots of things because people said we'd need them and they worked fantastic on their babies. Turns out Sophie hated them.
Sometimes I wish we had just somewhere to sleep her in and some sleepsuit and then that we would've bought things as we went along. Would've saved us a lot of money!

I'm glad we bought the cheapest changing table from Ikea, as we only used it in the period Sophie still did poos in the night. Now it's used as storage table :haha:.

My tip would be, don't buy too much and get things as you go along.

In the end, all you really need to start off with is some comfy clothes to keep them warm, something safe for them to sleep in and lots for them to eat! So either boobs, or bottles!

I definitely didn't need the bottle warmer,it's quicker and easier to use a kettle and jug.the warmer never left it's box.I didn't need a cot mobile as it wakes lo up.I didn't need a swinging crib as baby was big and went straight from Moses basket to cot.I disnt need all the rattles and other toys as lo didn't even look at them until 10wks.I didn't need all those muslins,I used bibs,never had a sivky baby so never used the muslins.didn't need the small tt bottles as lo was on 5oz from birth.

I definitely needed my mum lol couldn't have done it without her,u just feel abit more relaxed with abit of help around,just to bounce ideas off of "is she still hungry? Do u think she has tummy ache?".I could kiss whoever invented dummies and vibrating bouncy chairs,Lola has lived in her bouncy chair since about 4wks and if she's unhappy u pop her in that and she's happy happy happy.best purchase for me was my cosetto changing station.I hope Lola never outgrows it,at the beginning it was a life saver as I had a csec and never wouldve been able to keep bending down on the floor to change her,the station is perfect height and everything is eight there when u need it xx

Another thing I use all the time is flannels, i have bought muslin squares but i have a load of cheap flannels that work just as well, i always have one under my boob whilst feeding to keep me dry lol x

For me the bottle warmer was a complete waste of money, faster and easier to boil the kettle :dohh:

Everything else I have gets used so I can't really complain

I definitely didn't need the bottle warmer,it's quicker and easier to use a kettle and jug.the warmer never left it's box.I didn't need a cot mobile as it wakes lo up.I didn't need a swinging crib as baby was big and went straight from Moses basket to cot.I disnt need all the rattles and other toys as lo didn't even look at them until 10wks.I didn't need all those muslins,I used bibs,never had a sivky baby so never used the muslins.didn't need the small tt bottles as lo was on 5oz from birth.

I definitely needed my mum lol couldn't have done it without her,u just feel abit more relaxed with abit of help around,just to bounce ideas off of "is she still hungry? Do u think she has tummy ache?".I could kiss whoever invented dummies and vibrating bouncy chairs,Lola has lived in her bouncy chair since about 4wks and if she's unhappy u pop her in that and she's happy happy happy.best purchase for me was my cosetto changing station.I hope Lola never outgrows it,at the beginning it was a life saver as I had a csec and never wouldve been able to keep bending down on the floor to change her,the station is perfect height and everything is eight there when u need it xx

lol yep my Mum will be my most valuable resource lol
thanks for the advice :)

Worst buy - baby bath .. Used once!

I needed to buy more - Scratch mits, muslin squares

Everything else I pretty much used but I never bought a changing table, just a changing mat on the floor..

Also the small bottles weren't used for long at all .. A few weeks max so next time I would just buy bigger ones and use them

Things we didn't really need or use:

- Bouncy chair
- Bumbo
- Newborn size clothes and outfits sized 0-3 and 3-6 months (I only started putting outfits on LO when he was 5 months old)
- Electric steam sterilier (after 6 weeks we got a cold water steriliser instead, sooo much easier!)
- Forward-facing-only pushchair
- Special hooded baby towels & matching flannels
- Smaller sized sleeping bags (only started using them around 4~5 months)
- Loads of bibs (didn't use bibs until about 5 months)
- Moses basket (we put LO in cot at 9 weeks and he slept so much better)
- Dummies (we have about 14 and LO will never take one)

Wish we'd bought:

- Baby carrier/sling (ended up buying one when LO was 3 weeks old, it saved my life!)
- Travel system where the car seat clicks into the pram frame
- Parent-facing pram
- Baby swing (lifesaver when you need to put them down for a few minutes)

Things we were really glad we had

- 18 muslins (we use all of them almost daily!)
- Foam jigsaw mat for the floor (protects your carpet and provides soft play area)
- Playmat with dangling toys
- Changing table (I know people often list this as unecessary, but my back was hurting so much and the changing table provided a nice height to change LO. When he grows out of it I will use it as shelves for his stuff, e.g. books/toys)
- Scratch mitts (thought we wouldn't use them but ended up buying more. I used them till LO was 3 months)
- Swaddle wraps (again, wasn't planning to swaddle but they were a lifesaver until 4 months)
- Baby bath (we love ours, we just sit it in the big tub. It saves water and is faster to run)

***My biggest piece of advice would be: BUY LESS NOW, AND MORE LATER! I wish we'd not bought as much stuff in preparation for LO, because realistically a newborn doesn't need much, and we ended up wasting so much money. And as you can see from the answers on this thread, some people love things that other people hate, and some babies love things that other babies hate! So if I could do it again, I would only get the BARE MINIMUM that they actually need, and buy all the extras when they're bigger and I know exactly what I want/will use.

:flower:

We use our baby bath every day! (we have a large bath and it would take forever to fill so just plonk the baby bath in the big bath!)

my bouncy chair was our lifesaver as it is the only thing he will nap in!

Bought too many cellular blankets as it wasnt long till his was in gro bags

I found having 2 changing mats great (one downstairs and one upstairs!)

xxx

Wish we didn't buy:

Top & tail bowl (although it came in a set with the bath) - never used it, never needed to.
Bottle warmer - kettle is quicker but I just use the microwave now
Scratch mitts (although these were bought for us) - never used, she's never been a scratcher and i like to trim her nails regularly anyway

Best things ever:

Monitor, we have the angelcare one and it's used every day and night
Bouncy chair with animals on, she had reflux and used to nap in it
Sophie the Giraffe - she loves it and would chomp on it all day if I'd let her

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583