• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Purchases you didn't need to make?

I love my changing table it's easier on my back and I never leave her when I'm changing her nappy I also have nappy disposal which I love sleep suits I live baby bath I love although she is starting to get to big for it I love my bottle heater also her swing and mat with toys dangling over even when she was tiny she would lye n look at them! I thing everything I bought was great and I bought alot I didn't buy any clothes just a few sleep suits we got hundreds givn which is abit of a waist as she hasn't wore them all but we didn't buy them all! Xx

Shouldn't have bothered buying...

• top and tail bowl - utterly, utterly pointless - a normal bowl is just as good - and is now just taking up space and collecting dust
  • baby bath - by 8 weeks baby too big for it anyway and normal bath/shower works just as well
  • changing bag - I just put a little pod/pack in my usual bags so I can still co-ordinate with outfits (my usual bags are quite large anyway)
  • pram - baby screamed whenever in pram so ended up carrying him while pushing pram... kinda defeated object of pram, so used baby carrier instead. Stroller/pushchair part of pram however very useful
  • small bibs - breastfed so have just never used this
  • pretty outfits - too fiddly so don't bother putting them on him

Couldn't live without

• vibrating bouncy chair - lets me visit the bathroom/have shower/achieve something during the day
  • baby bjorn carrier - makes baby mobile
  • approximately 3542 muslins (slight overestimate) as they work for everything - vomit, swaddling, sun protection....
  • baby sleeping bags - as baby just kicked blankets off then kept waking up cold.

*wish didn't buy*
- So much baby shampoo/wash, we only use it on his head.
- So much cotton wool, don't use it as much as we thought we would
- Socks!! We have so many and he hates them lol and some of them dig in alot leaving nasty red marks!!
- Crib sets, expensive and not needed, just look pretty. We didn't buy any but were given them but still a huge waste.

*best things we did (or got given)*

- Moses basket!! He loves this and are still using it but not for much longer :(
- Muslin squares, brill for everything from mopping up puke to wee :D
- Angelcare monitor, we have used this everynight and taken it away with us when we stayed away. It really does give me peace of mind. Have only used the sound side of it a handful of times though as LO is always with me.
- Dr Brown bottles, really wish i had found out about these sooner, ok pain in the bum to clean and sterilise but they help so much
- Dummies, why did i wait until 2 weeks ago to try them??? I have def opened my mind to ideas.
- Rainforest swing, got this second hand and its a life saver. Prob would actually buy one new if had to but so many out there second hand cause you can only really use them for about 9 months.
- Bouncy chair, only really started getting the benefit from this last couple of weeks. He loves it
- Gym, also only really started liking in the last 3/4 weeks. Now loves it and keeps him busy for between 10/20 mins :)

Im sure there are more but im brain is tired lol
-

Never used:

-Avent Bottles (I'm EBF)
-Dummies (DD hates them)
-Playing mat (So boring!)
-Chicco Lullaby LX Playard with Electronics (please buy a real crib)
-Chicco ERGO gym (what a waste of money!)
-Wooden jackets and booties for babies (USELESS)
-Bibs

Couldn't live without:
-Chicco I-feel rocker
-Pram and carseat
-Changing table (remember, after a C-section you must take care of yourself)
-Rocking chair (gosh I love it!)
-Breastfeeding pillow
-Little cotton socks

Things we havent used/or little used:

Nappy bin - used a couple of times, too faddy and collecting dust!
Scratch mits - still in packets!
Bibs
Top and Tail bowl - used once...

Things we didnt have enough of to start with/should have had more:
LO was smaller than expected, (we knew she would be small, but not as small as she was, so DH had to go out and buy smaller clothes!) always be a little prepared, even if its just a couple of outfits.
Babygrows/sleepsuits - you can never have enough!
Muslin squares - buy in bulk, great for when washing/drying
Nappies - buy in bulk (Amazon is v good)

Items I couldnt live without:
Baby swing - Second hand, these are on ebay (starting at a £1!!) and are a lifesaver, majority of them recline, pop baby in and they happily go to sleep in it!
2 Changing mats - one upstairs and one downstairs
Baby bath & baby Bath Support - the support is like a wedge with a towel material on and props baby up, our LO loves bathtime with this in and saves your arms and is safer. (Can purchase at likes of Mothercare etc)
Baby Bottle Draining Board - For when washing bottles - to dry them on, very cheap and lets them air dry. (From JoJo MamaBebe)
Baby sleeping bag - think they have to be a certain weight, but JoJoMama Bebe do a zip up swaddle bag and is great for helping them sleep!
Baby BT Monitor - means if LO is still asleep in a morning upstairs I can potter about downstairs and do housework and still listen in (shes still in our room atm)
Baby carrier - was given this and she falls asleep in it!
Baby bottle warmer - love this! next to bed for night feeds, just get bottle and pop it in (keep warmer next to bed after getting bottle from fridge) and can then change nappy, by the time this is done, bottle is warm!

Last tip. Even if you dont need washing powder, baby wipes etc, buy them when they are on offer, as you can guarantee when you need them you wont be able to get out or they wont be on offer!

Sorry Ive waffled.....:blush:

Hope it helps!! :flower:

Things that have been a waste for us (so far)

-Bibs. I'm sure they are great when weaning but muslins do the job with milk far better.
-Baby bath. Heavy and impractical.
-Baby lotion/oil/talc. Ended up with loads of it. Don't use it, prefer olive oil.
-Steam sterliser (tommee tippee, broke after 2 weeks use)
-Tommee tippee everything (Just in case, well the in case happened and baby hated tommee tippee. SCBU were telling us how bad they are but everyone buys them).
-Dummies (LO wouldn't take one)
-Baby monitors (never used)

Best buys
-Muslin clothes (lots and lots)
-Milton steriliser tank.
-Bouncy chair (took us a while to get into it but we love it now)
-Tummy tub (for when we don't get in the big bath together, great for colic)
-Sudocrem (nappy rash/anything that looks sore, dab some on)
-Changing bag including travel change mat (I keep everything stocked up in there so we can go out quickly).
-Sangenic nappy bin. Keeps smells away!
-Play mat for the floor (LO loves it, great for toys and tummy time etc)
-Hisense breathing sensor (Brilliant, gives me a good nights sleep, never had a false alarm)

I found that I hardly used my baby bath!

Socks for the baby ate great but I found that sock always fell of my girlies, even with slippers on!
Someone suggested in mothercare they sell these 'things' you can put on the babies foot to keep the sock on.., I've never tried them buy I've heard good comments- maybe with a try???
Goodluck xx

Ewan the dream sheep only started using it a couple of months ago wish id used it from birth amazing!
muslin squares had to go and get more
scratch mitts had to get more but be carefull some are so huge they just dont fit find the tinyest one you can and get loads we went back to get some and they had all gone :(
blanket loads i have them all over the house she likes to be snuggled up
also get teething gel in and infacol just incase you do not want to be going up to tesco at midnight in your pj's with a crying baby

good luck x

Best buys for us
- fisher price rain forest playgym - she'll happily spend ages under it
- baby bath - we have a HUGE enamel bath which takes forever to fill
- muslins, muslins and more muslins.....
- gro/sleep bags - invaluable if you have a "kicker"....
- Dr Browns bottles
- a £4 teether toy from Boots which she loves even when not teething
- a lamaze toy that hangs from the roof of the car - she hates the car but is mesmerized by the toy!

Wish I hadn't bothered.....
- bibs - got hundreds of the things - they're all too big and muslins work better
- anything "Tommee Tippee" - the bottles gave LO horrendous wind, the bottle warmer is a waste of space and we're on the 2nd steriliser already....
- expensive swing - she hates it and always has. She'd rather be laid on the floor kicking, or sat between my legs
- scratch mits - she just waved her hands around screeching until they flew off!
- top n tail bowl - waste of space...

pointless-

nappy bins... just put it straight in the outside bin, after a day a little bin smells and those nappy bins are even worse

all those lotions and potions- the bets thing you can do is actually not douse your baby with a barrage of chemicals. olive oil and water do the trick, if you really need something then use a natural product, in a minimal amount.

pampers nappies... dont know about your babies but they leak every 5 mins on my son, with the pervioud baby they were the nappy of choice, but this time no.

clothes BEFORE baby is born... my son is a larger baby and i have a load of clothes that are now useless to me and have never been worn as he was straight in to a bigger size.

good things to buy-

angelcare, ok so i co-sleep but if i want to lay him down whilst i make dinner or play woth my ds then i can and i can hear him and i know hes moving.

changing table with mat- good for storage, having it all at the ready and my back. id say the mat is important because sometimes babies catch us out.

face cloths from ikea (the tea towel sized ones) great as changing mat covers so baby isnt lying on a cold changing mat.

body pillow- comfort in pregnancy and great for breastfeeding

bouncer chair with vibrate, we were given ours (rainforest one) and its the only time my son will settle when not on me.

Must Haves for Me:
Moby Wrap: So great when I'm going out but don't want to use the stroller.
Stroller: Live right by a park, and it's a Graco carseat + stroller so it's easy to get him around without waking him up.
Diapers: I can't believe how many we use, I honestly love Pamper Swaddlers, and it is so worth the cost for me not to wash cloth diapers lol
Pacifiers: If you are planning to use them get at least 5 of them, they will constantly be getting lost!

I wouldn't say I wasted money on anything with this DD, but I learnt last time what I did and didn't need. So here's my list.

I didn't need

Sangenic nappy disposal
Baby bath ( I use a baby chair in the bath)
Cot sets ( You can't use the duvet or bumper anyway)
Bibs ( I prefer muslin cloths)
Sling, LO doesnt like being on her tummy)
Needed
Change mat
Baby towels with a hood
Pram ( but will change to a stroller when big enough)
Steriliser, bottles often get stained in dishwasher)
Moses basket (LO is still too small to be in a cot at 19 weeks)
Scratch mits ( LO always scratching he'd face, and sticking fingers in too far)!

Can't think of anything else, but I would buy the bare basics then buy what you think you need once LO is here x

A changing mat. One came with our bag and we only use that if we are out and about or if we have an explosive nappy. I travelled 2 hours to buy the changing mat I wanted and its probably been used twice and not by me lol

Newborn outfits, I bought loads but she was always more comfy in an all in one. I still have newborn outfits with tags on!!

Changing table just has junk on it lol

Cot bumper...doesn't fit our cot

Our best buys

Muslin squares and bibs....I never used muslins on my first but wouldn't be without them now, they come in so handy for all sorts of things.

Dr. Brown bottles. Abby had colic and my friend recommend these bottles, they saved us, Abby has never had colic since.

Cot mobile- She loves it and chatters away to it

Sleeping bags- I am a paranoid mother (I lost my son) so don't use blankets if I can help it. Abby has been in sleeping bags since birth

Electric steriliser- so much easier than a microwave one

Baby monitor with sensor mat- again paranoid mother moment

Helium balloons!! Ok, I know this is a strange one. DD1 got 2 for her birthday but Abby loves to watch them, we but them by her bouncy chair and she talks to them

Best thng we ever bought...

About 30 muslin squares! you can use them for everything!!

Bibs seem a bit of a waste of time as i breastfeed and i just use a muslin cloth to catch sicky burpies!

I wish i had never bought a crib (somepeople would disagree) but my LO went into her cot at 8 weeks and sleeps much better and deeper because of it i think!she was quite a good size baby though!

We never bought a nappy bin i just throw thenm straight outside in the wheely bin.

We also never bought a baby bath i just bath with LO and we both have always loved bath time!

Useless purchases-
Moses basket and stand (only used once)
sit me up cosy (only bought as it looked fun, but actually useless)
Bumbo (trying to use more but LO throws herself backwards out of it)
Changing table (has been used but not that much, I tend to use the bed)
A million gorgeous 0-3 summer outfits which my LO has only grown into now. Sigh.

I loved my baby bath it's a sit on top of the bath type. Stopped using it at 6 months.
Don't know how people live without a change mat - my LO pees every time you take his nappy off!

Bouncy chair was a waste by the time LO would sit in it he could sit up. Never had a bumbo.

Sola buggy still like him facing me.

I think the only thing I bought which hasnt made it out the box yet is her bouncy/vibrating chair

I bought it months back and put it up out the way, forgot about it and bought a swing the week before I had her and she used that instead. Cant see that it will get used now so will probably sell it on.

Didnt buy a changing table as don't have the room for one but still wouldn't have done, a padded changing mat on the floor for downstairs and our bed for nightime changes

she does have a few toys that she hasnt used yet but Im sure she will in time.

Only other thing that doesn't get used properly is crib bedding. Don't use the bumper due to regulation advice so could have gotten away with normal sheets and blankets but we learn as we go

Things that have been a godsend
*Foam support for baby bath - LO used to try to do the backstroke and startle himself in his bath, plus I have both hands free to wash him.
*Rainforest playmat - he's loved this from the first day he's used it and often has a cheeky nap on it too.
*Bumbo seat - LO loves it, he loves sitting up like a big boy
*Bigger clothes - Initially I only bought newborn/1 month/0-3 clothes but he has now moved into 3-6 and I am working on his 6-9 and 9-12 wardrobe so I'm prepared when he outgrows his current stuff, although it's a pain trying to predict his size/the weather.
*Growbag - LO has only just got over the weight threshold for these within the last six weeks but I don't know what I would do without it already, he likes to kick the blankets off all the time, he even kicks the hell out of the foot muff on the pram to get it off him.
*Tommee Tippee Steam steriliser - love it, just add add water and switch on and go and watch Corrie!
*M&S Petit Bebe booties - these fitted my LO's feet so snug when socks would just fall off, plus they look dead cute. I bought 1 pair and then went back and got another 3.

Things that have been a waste of money/weren't essential straightaway
*Tommee Tippee bottle warmer - pointless!! Seriously don't get one, use the kettle.
*Johnsons lotions and potions - although my MIL got these, she's a notorious stockpiler and I have about 20 bottles of each product gathering dust, it dried LO's skin out (the ones in the purple bottles in particular)
*Bouncer - we have a vibrating bouncer and the rainforest swing and he much prefers the swing, in fact I've only just started alternating between the two purely to get use out of the bouncer which he doesn't hate but both are unnecessary.
*Newborn clothes - had far too many clothes in newborn/up to 1 month size and my LO was prem and still grew out of this size soooo quick, plus when he came home I was getting into a routine and getting used to everything and we stayed inside most of the time so kept him in baby grows and vests most of the time for the first few weeks.
*Sophie the Giraffe - LO still won't entertain it.
*Phillips Avent baby monitor - I find the battery is awful even if been on charge all day and often dies though the night, plus I leave all doors open and have great hearing (makes up for my bad eyes!) so I ALWAYS hear him, even when I'm asleep I wake everytime.
*Tommee Tippee grooming set - he still hasn't got enough hair for me to brush, I bite his nails as I'm scared I'll cut him with the clippers and scissors and the aspirator thingie has always been too big for his nostrils, come to think of it I don't even know where this set is now that's how useful it has been.
*Fancy carriage pram - good for walks and very pretty but totally impractical. Too bulky for public transport and taking it apart we could never fit it in the car if we were going out with my 2 step kids and the baby in the carseat. Bought a £120 buggy suitable from birth when he was about 6 weeks old and have never looked back.
*Top and tail bowl - never used although this came with the bath so not a waste of money.
*Bibs - I found they never caught dribbles of milk and stopped using them when LO stopped dribbling, he was never sick and I've only started using them again when he has food, never use them for his milk feeds.

I think thats about it, there's probably loads more that were useless/amazing but I'm all thought out.:haha:

Prince Lionheart Slumber bear plus was a great buy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"