Question about benefit entitlements

D

diva2010

Just wonder if anyone knows if I'd be entitled to any benefits apart from tax credits-
I've just had maternity allowance which has just finished. I'm not planning on going back to work- my husband works full time?? Thanks

If your husband works on a reasonable salary then its unlikely. But if you go onto the dwp website you can put in his figures etc. and see if you get anything.

I looked into it when my maternity allowance came to an end. I wasn't entitled to anything but child benefit. (No tax credits) My husband works full time and I've had to go back to work part time. :-( It will depend on what your husband earns.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/benefits_search.aspx is a good benefits calulator.

Thanks, i did the online calculator which said i am entitled to jobseekers allowance and i called the jobcentre and got an interview on wed but the woman on the phone says if I'm not actively seeking work then I'm not entitled to anything! But I'm just wondering how im meant to seek work and go to work if I've got a baby!

Agreed. if your not looking for work jsa is not for you. I guess that's what nurserys or grandparents are for?

But I'm just wondering how im meant to seek work and go to work if I've got a baby!

Personally I have to rely on grandparents. As I'm not entitled to get any help with childcare. Some of my mummy friends use child minders and others use a nursury.

You cant claim job seekers unless you are looking for work, if you are then you will need to sort out childcare, if not, i doubt theres much your entitled to. My husband works but its a low income, i choose not to work as want to be at home with the kids, we get the full amount of child tax credits, also child benefit and we get some housing benefit also. We worked out if i was to work part time we would be worse off, so unless i work full time (which i dont want to do at all for a long time) then not worth it.

You cant claim job seekers unless you are looking for work, if you are then you will need to sort out childcare, if not, i doubt theres much your entitled to. My husband works but its a low income, i choose not to work as want to be at home with the kids, we get the full amount of child tax credits, also child benefit and we get some housing benefit also. We worked out if i was to work part time we would be worse off, so unless i work full time (which i dont want to do at all for a long time) then not worth it.

I plan to do the same as you- for some reason I thought there was smth else I could apply for. They are reviewing our tax credits at the moment so hopefully be slightly more than the £48 that I get at the mo!

I get £62 a week at the moment which is the full amount of tax credit, will get 110 a week once this baby is born. We get almost half our rent paid also. And obviously the 20 a week child benefit. We get a bit off our council tax too, only about £30 a month but its something. Then its dhs wages which like i say is low.

So will urs be both child tax credit and working tax credits? That's good- we only get child tax credits cos we earned just over the cut off point last yr :-(

I'm currently on JSA and actively looking for work, but I am also 15 weeks pregnant (well, will be in a few hours lol) and only have 14 weeks left of usefulness. I was on MA when I was on leave with my 2nd but because I've not returned to work I can't claim this time. Instead I will get 26 weeks of income support due to the pregnancy then that's it.

Housing benefit and council tax benefit (although council tax benefit is getting cut in April so may be less) alongside the tax credit system are about the only other top ups we get. My hubby is a student so we don't get Working, only child tax credits. He gets full loan and grants which works out at just shy of £10k a year, and if I were to work he would also get childcare grant (hence why it's worth me working) of 85% rebate.

When number 3 arrives I'll get 15 weeks IS then I'll have to step back onto the bandwagon as we can't afford for me not to earn something (even the £70 JSA isn't enough really but it's all we can get). If you get WTC and CTC then you may be able to claim the childcare element to help to pay for the childcare you'd need following your return to work. Childminders are cheaper than nurseries.

It's hard, but I find working, once you're sorted out and into a routine, easier than struggling. You know you're doing the right thing and you're also being a positive role model. I would love nothing more than to stay at home, and I may get that opportunity due to a little bit of inheritance, but I think we would lose a lot of hubby's grants and things if I stayed off completely. We have 2 years left, so not much longer, then he'll be earning again, and my job will become the school run :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->