Question about BLW..

nataliecn

Mommy to Grady and WTT!
Reaction score
I know we're usually suggested to wait atleast 4 days between foods with the babies when doing purees. Is it the same thing with BLW? I know a few people have given their LO's things like lasagna, etc as first foods, so I'm wondering if there have been any allergies or problems while doing it?

I just feel like it's a lot of waiting, and if BLW'ers aren't following the "4 day rule" whats the point of following it on purees?

I haven't done BLW so no experience BUT I want to next time but I will still wait. The reason you wait is to see if there is a reaction, so the same thing would apply whether it's pureed or if it's in pieces.

I won't be waiting 4 days inbetween foods, but I will be waiting 'til Freya is quite a bit older before introducing dairy, gluten, wheat, egg, fish and citrus. Then I will introduce those carefully and will wait to see if she has a reaction. :)

I'm not waiting between foods either, she had stew today with a bit of everything in there! The reason for waiting is if you're weaning before 6 months, their digestive systems might not be mature enough to deal with all the new foods so you wait to see if there's a reaction. Apparently that's much less likely to happen if you wait until 6 months which you would generally do for BLW anyway.

No we're not waiting 4 days either. But we're not giving eggs and cheese until about 8m as OH used to be intolerant.
I think the 4 day thing was more for babies 3/4m old.

No we're not waiting 4 days either. But we're not giving eggs and cheese until about 8m as OH used to be intolerant.
I think the 4 day thing was more for babies 3/4m old.

I won't be waiting 4 days inbetween foods, but I will be waiting 'til Freya is quite a bit older before introducing dairy, gluten, wheat, egg, fish and citrus. Then I will introduce those carefully and will wait to see if she has a reaction. :)

snap except for the fish.

We aren't waiting four days either, I figured that was for babies under 6 months. LO has shown all the signs of being developmentally ready for a long time (cruel Mummy, making him wait) and is now 6 calender months old, and I don't think there will be much risk. We are avoiding high allergy foods though.

Nat, I think someone I spoke to was told (by doctor? public health?) they are okay to have a new food after each bowel movement.. I can't remember though.. maybe ask on the Cdn thread, it's one of them.

We don't wait anymore because she has got such a large variety of foods.. so I give her mixed jars with a couple of new things, but if she was to have a reaction, I would axe that jar and go back to familiar things that she's okay with.. I am avoiding some "highly allergenic foods"- like egg whites, nuts, peanuts, seafood, etc. but truthfully you can be allergic to anything, so it's hard to say what to skip and what's okay.

Just want to add...it's not just for babies under 6mo :) Like Hayden we didn't start until 6mo and I'm glad we waited between foods, we usually did like 3 days, but even starting at 6mo he reacted to quite a bit, if I had given him mixed stuff, or a few things a time we would have had to put him through hell to test each thing again to find out what it was. His weren't true allergies so having him tested to figure that out wasn't an option (we did that, nothing showed) but he def reacted. And his were weird things too, mostly low allergy things..such as avocado which is a highly recommended first food because it's low allergy, banana...then tomato, dairy(which we figured out before weaning because he reacted when I drank/ate it since I was nursing). He also reacted to a few other things. But once he tried all fruits/veggies separate, we no longer waited. Or if say he had tried everything but one of the ingredients in a mixture thing we would do that knowing just that one was new.

Thanks everyone! Yeah I just wasn't sure, cause it seemed so different. And so far I've been so anal about what I'm giving him and when. We've actually been waiting 1 week and up before giving him a new food, but he just inhales anything we give him! And even I'm bored with the same stuff day in and day out!

I guess we won't wait as long between stuff. I didn't know about the 6 month thing though. I thought it was an all around suggestion regardless of age!

Tasha - never heard the bowel movement thing. I don't think that'd work well with Grady though, he USUALLY has about 3 massive poops each day.. I guess if suddenly he stopped going, that would be a bad sign, but he's usually consistent with his poops!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->