Question about BLW

KimE

mum of 2
Reaction score
Hi there guys, I have a quick question about BLW for those of you who are knowledgable :happydance:

The question is why is it recommended from 6 months? What are the reasons not to allow your child to try food themselves before this time? Has anyone done BLW (or similar) before 6 months? I know the guidelines are for weaning at 6 months and wondered if this was the reason?

I really DON'T want to start a debate on early weaning vs 6 month guidelines (I think thats something we can all decide on ourselves as mothers) and I am not saying I am going to BLW or puree before 6 months - I was just wondering so I could be well informed when making my decisions. :hugs:

My helath visitor told me that before (at least) 6 months their 'choke' mechanism isnt strong enough to cough up any food that gets stuck, so its danger of choking. :baby:
Obviously some babies will be developed before and some after though i guess. :shrug:

My HV told me it was because generally babies haven't developed the skills before 6 months to hold food, chew etc. More importantly babies need to be able to sit up before BLW or there is a risk of choking. I started BLW with Aisling at about 5 1/2 months (combined with purees) and she did really well although didn't eat much :D

Theakston has snatched a piece of apple off me and sucked it before I took it back, and the same with a cereal bar (his tongue was covered in chocolate - bad mummy!) but I'm not letting him blw until 6months. I figure it's OK for him to play with food like he has been doing but like the others have said, the choke reflex and all that stuff scared the bejeezus out of me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->