Question about doulas

happyface82

Reaction score
I thought this is a good place to ask. I'm not interested in birthing at home, I'm not there yet, but I would LOVE to go to the birth centre if I can. I say if because last pregnancy I had many complication and they wouldn't have let me! (I gave birth in Greece).

Anyway, I was thinking of hiring a doula to help me have the birth I want as last time it wasn't what I wanted. I've researched online and it seems standard that a doula is on call from 38 weeks onwards. Well my last pregnancy I gave birth at 36 weeks so I would worry about that. Do you think they'd be flexible due to my history?

Thank you for reading, and I'm sure I will be back with more questions as I wanted to prepare myself! :thumbup:

Hi happyface! :)

Yes, your doula should be flexible and aware of that - if one is not interested, then she is not the right doula for you. I'm not sure if you have doula agencies where you live, but mine is from an agency - if for some reason she is unable to attend due to another birth, they send a replacement so it is guaranteed.

Even if it's a BC or hospital, a doula will be well worth it. IMO *especially* worth it if you go into a hospital and you want a more natural birth. Where I live, nearly all doulas work in hospitals as home birth hasn't caught on yet and birthing centres are rare. I'm her 3rd home birth in 60 hospital births.

I'm having a doula. Yes, you should be fine. You just need to let them know that when you agree to work together and they should be able to adjust to meet your needs. Basically, the on call thing just means they won't go away on holiday during the month or so around your birth, or to help them manage their schedules so they don't take on too many clients at once. But if you know you might go early, a good doula should be able to work with you and be flexible on that. Just make sure to mention it in your initial appt.

What the other posters said! My mom is a doula and she was/is always happy to work with women who have, um, non-standard needs, including shorter gestation periods. Most (not all, but most) doulas have had children themselves and they get the whole "bodies don't all function 100% the same" thing, so don't worry! Just tell your doula at your first appointment that you expect to deliver before 38 weeks and I'm sure she can make it work for both of you.

Thanks girls! I will be meeting with a couple of doulas next week so hopefully all goes well! Its very exciting. It feels like I'm taking things a bit more on my own hands! :thumbup:

Yay! My first came at 37+6 which was before her on-call period started but she was there for the whole thing... so she knows that for number 2, things could kick-off early as well (but just as likely be over 40+ weeks too!). Good luck with the interviews :)

Mine was on holiday when I was 36-37 weeks and said she was concerned about it (So I think she would have come had I needed her, if she was available.)

Luckily my LO came at 38+2 when my doula was back from her holiday :) and she was fantastic as well.

Good luck with the interviews :)

Yes :) Being "on call" means they are more aware of your impending due date and take extra percautions to be there for you. Doulas will accompany you no matter what gestation you give birth (as long as their allowed, obviously if you gave birth at 20 something weeks she'd likely not be allowed in your delivery room).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->