question about negative FFN test

lmp1505768

Reaction score
So I know that the chances of labor starting in the next two weeks are less than 1%. Woohoo! :)

But here is my somewhat confusing question.

I assume this means my body isn't initiating labor at this point, but say I had BV,dehydration, or something like that. Could the BV still randomly cause pre term labor within the next two weeks? Or is this like a solid, it wont happen kind of thing?

I only ask because my doctor said it didn't "look" like I had BV but I've had almost constant period cramping,with some yellow/green ish discharge. So just wondering if I can dismiss it, or should still be on my toes.

I have the same as you....constant cramps and a yellow discharge. I had a swab and no infection was found. My FFN test came back positive tho. My OB told me that a negative test result is 100% accurate, but a postive test result is about 50/50 accurate. If your test was negative then I'd assume it means that at the time of the test you weren't releasing whatever it is they test for (OB told me and I've now forgot), but that doesn't mean that a day later you aren't, you know?? Idk. This probably doesn't help at all, just relaying what I've been told.

Yeah they basically told me its an enzyme released before labor, but I was sure if just because its not my baby/uterus trying to go early if that means an infection or other outside factors were out as well. Gah! This pregnancy is so much more confusing than my last :/

When I had one of the test done I was told that there was a 99% chance I will not go into labour as my body was not releasing some type of chemical and the test is accurate. I was having green discharge that came back clear and tightening and I didnt go into labour even though im high risk.
Trust them they are right on the ball with that sort of stuff

From what I've read, it tests for a protein (or enzyme?) that binds the sack to the uterus. This breaks down before natural labor. I too wondered, well what if I get the protein tomorrow? How can they say its a effective 7-10 days? I never found anything to answer this but maybe it takes at least 7 days from the start of breakdown for labor to begin?
Also, it was my understanding that no it can't predict things like prom due to infections, etc.
I had a negative FFN at 32 weeks despite strong regular contractions and dilation 1-2. My contractions were finally stopped with terbutaline and stayed away for the most part until the last couple days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->