Question about progesterone??

Babykiser

Reaction score
Hi girls so I have question about progesterone levels....I just lost my little bean yesterday and my beta was only 26 and progesterone was 0.2 or something like that. When I got my first beta is was 12 and progesterone was 26....so eventhough I'm going through a MC does the 0.2 progesterone seem low?? I would think it would be higher considering my beta level is still positive??
Any thoughts? If it helps beta at 8dpo-12(prog-26) 10dpo-34, 18dpo-114, 22dpo-26(prog-0.2)

I don't know the exact figures but when you miscarry naturally your progesterone drops and that is what triggers the lining of your uterus to shed (you start to bleed). When you are not pregnant the process is similar. Your progesterone levels taper off and af comes.

Sorry for your loss, hon :hugs:

Thankyou for the response. And I understand that the progesterone drops, but I'm wondering if 0.2 is considered low progesterone for a beta of 26? I would think it would gradually decrease along with my beta levels. The reason I'm asking is I'm wondering if I have a progesterone defect, this is my 3rd loss this year. I will ask my dr when I speak to her, just wondering if anyone knew anything about progesterone levels xxx

No, I don't think it falls in relation to hcg at all. I had a miscarriage last year after which I suffered from retained tissue. A bit of placental tissue hung on tight inside and kept producing hcg. In the meantime I kept bleeding and passing clots and even went through three or four full cycles with ovulation and af! All, while still with hcg in my blood.

I am not saying your progesterone levels are normally fine as I have no idea how your cycles are but these levels now are no indication of a defect in my opinion.

Since you have already suffered three losses (4 if you count the twin) you can normally expect your doctor to perform a full recurrent miscarriage workup.
This includes checking your hormone levels during your cycle (day 3 and day 21 tests they are usually called although the actual days may vary depending on your cycle), clotting panel, maybe even karyotyping (checking whether your husband or you have a genetic abnormality).

From your side, if you don't do so already, you could try charting and taking your temperature. This could indicate whether you have a luteal phase defect (low progesterone).

You may have to wait six to eight weeks for your hormones to calm down and your cycle to go back to normal for some of those tests.

The good news is that most women who have these tests find a reason for their miscarriages and there is treatment that helps them have their babies. Others, like myself, have to look a little further afield and I am now on treatment for high natural killer cells. This is not a mainstream test and I am guessing your doctor probably won't go for it but it is worth asking about.

In any case, good luck with everything. I hope that they find a straightforward reason and can help you have that sticky bean next time :hugs:

Well I see your ticker and I hope that u have a fantastic pregnancy!! Glad your dr was able to find out what was wrong :)

I guess that's my next step getting things checked throughout my cycle, I already had the other things done(clotting issues ect, got them done after my 2nd mc) and I chart and take my temps.
Thanks for all the helpful info!! Xxxxxx

:dohh: I've just noticed the link to your chart. Seriously, I need to stop reading and posting in the middle of the night :haha:

I'm glad to see your doctor is on your case. If your tests all come back clear you could maybe discuss some preventative treatment with your doc for your next pregnancy (lots of PMA and :dust: here for you). Baby aspirin, progesterone suppositories and extra vitamin D are usually considered harmless and could be helpful.

There is a very supportive thread in the stickies of the loss section just for recurrent miscarriages that you might find useful if you have questions about any of the tests or just need some cheering on...

I will definately go look at that thread!!! :) thanks again hun

:dohh: I've just noticed the link to your chart. Seriously, I need to stop reading and posting in the middle of the night :haha:
. :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"