Question about rights when it comes to taking time off work

malia

Trying for #2
Reaction score
Hello.
I'm a teacher, and I was recently put on a stage 1 attendance review because I've had 4 periods of absence this school year. They've each only been for one day, and the last one was pregnancy related. At the review they said they my attendance would be closely monitored.
I am really ill again, having terrible recurring migraines, exhaustion, dizziness and lightheadedness, and I really don't think I can face going in tomorrow.
I have two questions:
1) if I stay off tomorrow, can this be counted against me, as its pregnancy related and work know that I'm pregnant?
2) should the absence that pushed me over the limit of 3, and caused me being put on the stage 1, have been counted, as this was also pregnancy related? I thought it was a stomach bug at the time as I had one day of severe vomiting, but advised work when I discovered I was pregnant that it was probably due to pregnancy.

I'm really anxious being penalised or disciplined, but the idea that I cannot have another absense in the next 6 months seems unrealistic when I'm pregnant!
I'm in Scotland.
The whole policy is ridiculous, I feel. Some of my colleagues have been off for the entire school year but because that's all one period of absence, they don't face a review.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nope they can't count anything to do with pregnancy related sickness into your absence totals.
They can mark it down so they no how much time you have had off whilst you have pregnant but they cant use it against you as this is sex discrimination. You shouldn't be on a stage one if they know you are pregnant and your absence was pregnancy related.
I cant link because I'm on my phone but if you go on to gov.uk and type in absence and pregnancy there is lots of info.

Thank you so much.
I'm not sure who I would go to to ask about having the stage 1 removed.
I couldn't find anything on the gov.uk site other than advice for employers, but I'll keep looking. Thanks for the tip.
It is a huge relief if these days can't be counted against me.

'Your employer must record any pregnancy-related sickness absence separately from other sick leave, so that pregnancy-related sickness absence is not used as a reason for disciplinary action, dismissal or redundancy.'
Taken from a website to do with women's rights while pregnant in the UK but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post other web pages on here! Hope that helps

'Your employer must record any pregnancy-related sickness absence separately from other sick leave, so that pregnancy-related sickness absence is not used as a reason for disciplinary action, dismissal or redundancy.'
Taken from a website to do with women's rights while pregnant in the UK but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post other web pages on here! Hope that helps

That is awesome. Thank you.
I guess I'll have to speak to somebody at work about the stage 1.

Can breathe easy about staying home tomorrow :)

The other ladies are right. I work in hr and counting pregnancy related absence is a big no no. Compensation for discrimination is uncapped, you'd probably also get injury to feelings compensation. You shouldn't be on that stage 1 Hun. Speak to your direct superior about getting it removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->