Question about semen analysis...

AnnetteCali

Reaction score
Hello Ladies...

My hubby and I finally got in to the see the infertility doc last week.. they started with blood tests and a semen analysis. Things seem to be ok with my lab work.. from what I can see from the results online.. although... my DH's semen analysis seems to be a bit problematic. We go back to the doc next Thurs to discuss the results.. but... I wanted to see if anyone can shed some light on his results.

Immobility is 56% ... seems pretty high.. so that leaves 44% mobility. seems sorta low? any input? Progressive sperm count was 10% i believe. THAT part worries me :( A part of me was trying to tell myself to just wait until I see the doc next Thurs.. but.. I wanted to prepare myself ahead of time for what to expect.

Any input ladies?

Thanks a bunch!!

Annette

The lab where husband had his SA, "normal" results are as follows:

Progressive: greater than 50% (most normal results are actually not much higher than this)
Morphology: greater than 30% ("WHO" criteria, many doctors now believe 14% or even 5% are acceptable)
Sperm count: greater than 20 million per mL (average, according to some sources, is 35 mil)
Volume: greater than 2.0 mL

...But each lab is different; some utilize "WHO" classification, while others have their own classifications.

Also, my husband's first SA was horrible (73% non-motile/mobile, among other things). He opted to take another one about two weeks later before we made an appointment with a urologist, and the results were so different (66% progressive, up from only 13%)! So I encourage you guys to consider another SA (I'm sure your doctor will recommend it).

Your doctor will probably also tell your husband to stop drinking alcohol, caffeine, stay hydrated, avoid hot baths, extreme cycling and exercise a list of other things. If your husband has a problem with any of these things and stops, then in about three months time there should be some improvement in his SA results.

Hope that helps! Keep your chin up :)

Here's an interesting article about how criteria has changed (it starts off talking only about morphology but later on includes motility/mobility as well).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->