Question about tearing/episiotomy and pain

xXDeetsXx

Reaction score
Hi all,

im planning on a water birth and was wondering what happens if i tear? Do they give you a painkiller when they stitch you up? Numb you up some how?

And if for some reason i need a cut, will they give me something??

Im planning on avoiding an epidural (but im open to it should i be in complete and utter pain!!) so was wondering about the cutting and stitching!

thanks

x

I assume they'll make you get out for the stitching, and probably give you a needle to numb the area first. I had a 'dry land' med free birth and got numbed before stitches but it still hurt a lot! Not sure about the episiotomy - well i would assume the wouldnt attempt to do it in the water! but I don't think you will feel it even if not numbed, I didn't feel when I tore.

cant advise on waterbirth but i had a episiotomy last time and i hadnt had any pain relief so they gave a local anesthetic to the area when cut me and they gave me gas and air when they stitched me up

You wont have a water birth AND an episiotomy.

If you need to be cut you'll be out of the water, and the area will be numbed with a local aneastetic.

With regards to tearing, either local for stitching or G&A. (or an epidural if a very serious tear (3rd/4th degree) that requires fixing in theatre)

thanks all O:)

I had guessed if i needed a cut id be out of the water but because i wont be having the pethodine/epidural, i wasnt sure on how things happened!

Im happy to hear they would numb me prior to stitching or cutting (if necessary!)

Will G&A really help with the stitches?!! :huh:

x

no it didnt help me i havent got a clue why she gave it to me considering id done the whole labour without anything. when i went back in because my stitches had come away the doctor that delt with it didnt give me any local anaesthetic she just gave me gas and air it was more painful than giving birth

no it didnt help me i havent got a clue why she gave it to me considering id done the whole labour without anything. when i went back in because my stitches had come away the doctor that delt with it didnt give me any local anaesthetic she just gave me gas and air it was more painful than giving birth

zoinks that sounds a bit sadistic!! Must remember to insist of some sort of pain relief if i need stitching!!

x

I found gas and air helped with my stitches. The numbing injection does block the pain somewhat but it feels really uncomfortable to have the stitches done, like if your hair is pulled or pulling off a plaster kind of a feeling. It's not out and out painful but it certainly isn't nice. The gas and air on top makes it ok. You do get some sadist midwives who think that the numbing injection is enough and with my eldest they didn't allow me to have gas and air while having my stitches-which took ages as I had quite an extensive episiotomy. Hopefully you don't need an episiotomy or stitches a water birth lessens the risks considerably xx

I found gas and air helped with my stitches. The numbing injection does block the pain somewhat but it feels really uncomfortable to have the stitches done, like if your hair is pulled or pulling off a plaster kind of a feeling. It's not out and out painful but it certainly isn't nice. The gas and air on top makes it ok. You do get some sadist midwives who think that the numbing injection is enough and with my eldest they didn't allow me to have gas and air while having my stitches-which took ages as I had quite an extensive episiotomy. Hopefully you don't need an episiotomy or stitches a water birth lessens the risks considerably xx

Thanks!

I had local for my stitches but god it hurt like hell! I found the stitches were the worst tging out of the whole labour and I only had 2! Im terrified of tearing this time around expecially as im certain baby will be bigger and as I will already have scar tissue im worried tearing is more likely to happen! I shall be doing perineal massage and im hoping on a home waterbirth, water is supposed to make the chances of tearing lower! But should you need an episiotomy they will give you a local and then cut you xx

Yep stitches where worse then the labour.
I only had 2 and just had gas n air.
Id have gladly gone through labour again if it ment not getting those stitches.
God knows how people can get clits pierced.

Try looking up perenial massage as thats pretty good for reducing tearing and im sure mine would have been worse last time if not for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->