• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Question for combi feeders/supplementers

Lisa92881

Reaction score
My LO has only had breastmilk up til now, either with me or from a bottle which he tolerates fine. I go back to work at the end of February, and I want to introduce formula before then, so that I can give him that if need be, though I do plan to pump at work. His dr said to start by mixing formula and BM (like 1oz formula 3oz BM). So I have 2 questions:

1. Has anyone does this, and what was your pattern - did you do 1oz formula for for a week, then do 2 oz etc? Did you give a bottle every day? I'm not sure how to go about it, I don't want to upset his stomach.

2. What formula did you have success with? I'm thinking of starting with similac sensitive.

Thanks!!!

I can't answer your first question since LO only gets 1-2 oz of formula anyway. We started with Similac Advanced since I had tons of 2 oz ready to feed bottles that the hospital gave us. It seemed ok at first but then the acne on her face got really red and inflamed. Once we stopped it and started Gerber Good Start Gentle it got better almost immediately. She only likes the ready to feed kind though. Her tummy seems to tolerate it fine but she only gets small amounts and not much of it daily.

I have never done this, I just give LO an occasional bottle of formula without mixing and he does fine with it (I use similac sensitive btw), but my friend did the mixing when she had to leave her baby for a few days. I think she mixed it half and half and she used similac for spit up, but her baby spits up a lot anyway.

When I started doing combi feeds, I would do 2 oz. of formula and 2 oz. breast milk. She seemed fine with that. Now, I breastfeed most of the time but occasionally she gets a bottle with 4 oz. of formula. We have had success with the Similac sensitive. The Similac advance (blue container) didn't agree with her tummy so we made the switch to sensitive and it's worked out much better. However, I found that Babies R Us sells their brand of formula that has all the same ingredients of the name brand stuff but at a fraction of the cost. Instead of paying $25 for the big container, we only pay $14. :thumbup:

Thanks everyone. It sounds like similac sensitive is the way to go. :)

Heyyydayy - Thanks for the tip!!

I do this occaionally due to not having the amount of bm that lo is demanding. I would give him 3oz bm and then 1oz formula in a separate bottle as I would prefer if he left any for it to be formula. It will all get mixed in the tummy anyway. Gl x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->