Question for moms with Prems 1yr +

Skadi

Reaction score
Keira is almost 1 yr old now but only 63 cm and 13.2 lbs. She is so tiny still and although we've already ruled out everything that can cause failure to thrive, I still worry. Is it normal for preemies to remain THAT small and grow so slowly?

Her weight is really the only thing she is behind on. She has actually been ahead developmentally of her ACTUAL age for awhile - nevermind adjusted age. She pulls herself to a stand and furniture surfs and babbles well, so that is not a worry for us.

She was 1360 grams (3 lbs) when born at 29+2 weeks... so that only 10 lbs she has gained in almost a year. Just kind of freaked out that maybe the Drs have missed something. :dohh:

Just after my daughters first birthday she weighed 13lb 14oz. She will be 3 in Jan and I last had her weighed in August and she was 21lb 2oz. Like your lo she has had tests for failure to thrive and everything came back normal. It did stress me out initially but gradually I decided as long as she is developing normal then her weight / height will hopefully catch up down the line. This is why she hasn't been weighed since August because since she has came home she has been weighed so much we are using an additional piece of paper. I am getting her weighed on her 3rd birthday but doubt she will have put on loads of weight.

She's small, but not horribly so. Does your dr account for her size? Do they keep her on the preemie growth chart? If all is well, she may just be small. Has her thyroid been checked?

My third baby was born at 31wks, weighing 3lb 4oz and was 16lb at 1 so not huge difference. As long as development is ok dont worry too much. Is she bf or ff?

My daughter's the other end and is now tall for her age - but even as a teeny you could tell she was going to be as her feet were massive and she was all arms and legs back then... but her dad is exceptionally tall. I was actually the reverse recently and tying myself up in knots about her gaining too much weight - till they decided to check her length and she's perfectly in proportion on exactly the same centile for both!

I've just decided that until babies learn to read growth charts and figure out what's expected of them they'll do whatever it is they're going to do growth-wise! She doesn't look like she's a struggling little dot from your photos (my cousin has a tiny kid that really does NOT look well - shadows under eyes and everything)! If it helps I know a lad who was born as low birth weight (but full term), had all the investigations and everything... and is now perfectly normal and about the same height as me! Or she could be like my husband who wasn't an exceptional height growing up... but just kept growing... and growing... and growing and snuk up to be 6 foot 7 in the end!

My little boy is 15 months old and he is 19lb 8oz the hospital are not worried as i ask every time we go to his appointments, he doesn't have a big appetite but he's fit and healthy as long as the hospital r not worried i try not too be. ( i know its hard not to worry )

I don't think he stands out to much compared to other babies just on the smaller side.
He was 27 Weeker and 2lb 9oz born so i think i accepted that he will be behind and smaller , Try not too worry most hospitals say that they will catch up by the time they are 5 and start school xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->