Question for non dummy using parents

lauren28

Reaction score
With my dd i used a dummy, although i said with this one i didnt want to. I dont want to be up tens of times in the night to put the dummy back in and then trying to wean off of it later.

My ds is now 8 days old, and as yet i have not used a dummy. He is just starting to be more alert in the daytime and crying and fussing more, routing and trying to find something to comfort suck. I feel cruel denying him a dummy and dont know how to soothe him.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get through this?

Cuddles?
Not sure to be honest but didn't want to read and run. I've got to 7 weeks without a dummy so far. Really don't want to use one. Don't want this thread to turn into a debate. It's personal choice for everyone!
Are you sure baby is wanting to comfort suck and not just hungry?
Hope you manage to do what you want? My baby has been suffering quite a bit with her wind and every doctor or midwife I have spoken to has suggested I use a dummy. But I really don't want to. It seems to be something they all suggest!
X

My 8 month old has never had a dummy. He went through a really fussy stage at about 6 weeks, and I eventually decided to try a dummy but he wouldn't take it, which was slightly frustrating at the time but I'm pleased that he never ended up having a dummy.

When he was fussy in the early days, I think I used to just see if he wanted feeding. I was breastfeeding so it is likely that he was just comfort sucking a lot of the time, but it kept him pretty settled.

My 9month old never had a dummy. She went through a fussy stage about ten days old but i found she was hungry and ended up taking 5-6oz every 2 hrs.

With my dd i used a dummy, although i said with this one i didnt want to. I dont want to be up tens of times in the night to put the dummy back in and then trying to wean off of it later.

My ds is now 8 days old, and as yet i have not used a dummy. He is just starting to be more alert in the daytime and crying and fussing more, routing and trying to find something to comfort suck. I feel cruel denying him a dummy and dont know how to soothe him.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get through this?

The dummy is meant to replace the boob. Babies that are allowed to, comfort suck on boobs. It's great for your milk supply so I'd start there. If he's nursing too much, then try to comfort in ways other than sucking.

Are you breastfeeding? I haven't used a dummy with my LO and would always just put him on the boob whenever he was routing around :)

when my son was first born he wanted to suckle all the time! so we did give a dummy BUT made sure he didn't use it as a prop - as a result of this he is now 3 months old, doesn't use a dummy at all as by this age they don't need to suckle to much. i know this isn't really very helpful but i thought i would just say it's not all bad giving them one if they want to suckle a little while.

I never gave my lo a dummy. She will be 5 months in about 2 weeks. I ff but she uses my boob as a pacifier at times(mostly when she is really tired or just needs me). We did try to give it to her around 2 months but she wouldnt take it. I am happy anout that now so i dont have to worry about weaning her off.

Whenever LO starts routing I feed him, otherwise he tends not to unless he's really tired and just fussy. Then I try and distract him by cuddling him, rocking him, walking around till he falls asleep xx

We are part time dummy users! Lol. We literally just go through the list of things that could be wrong with him til something works and if we get no where take him on a tour of the house. Walking around, going outside, singing etc all fascinate my LO and have been life savers on many occasions. He has it when nothing else has worked and he desperately needs a nap but never at night and so far it's worked perfectly for us, he's not dependent on it at all xx

At 8 days old if he's rooting he's hungry so I'd feed him.

As a pp said the sucking will help supply (if BFing)

We have so far made it 8 weeks without a dummy and it has never really crossed our minds to introduce one. If my DD gets fussy, I always put her on the boob. Or, if we are driving or can't feed her immediately, I try go give her her hand to self-soothe. So far it has worked for us.

As others have said, when DS needed comforting I would just let him nurse. He was latched on pretty much constantly the first 2 months. I can understand that since you have an older child, you may be more restricted. Could you nurse him in a wrap? That way he could suck to his hearts content and you could still get stuff done. I never did it, but I know a lot of moms swear by it.

DS is 5 months and we never used a paci/dummy too much. Occasionally I would give him one in the car seat. Well, quite often actually when he was younger since I couldn't console him by nursing when in his car seat. Or if my hand were clean I'd let him suck on my finger...he seemed to like this better than the paci and he couldn't spit it out! I've also given him a pacifier a few time when he has been hysterical and wouldn't nurse, like when he's overtired and fighting sleep. So while I'm glad he doesn't NEED one, I'm glad that he was willing to take one cause on those occasions it was a life saver. I think if you give it you him once in a while, it'll be fine.

My lo is six months old and doesn't have a dummy. I've tried a few times but he's just not interested!
No bother for me. I'm glad I won't have to wean him off later on :)

I also bf and agree that if he's rooting, feed him. It's a hunger cue :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"