Question for those who go to the gym

Hopipolla

Mum of 1
Reaction score
Hi,

My son has just started full time school so a bit more free time when not at work:) I've just joined a gym to tone up a bit and be more healthy. My question is for those who go to the gym, how many times a week do you go and for how long do you stay? As I'm new I can only manage about 40-60 minutes before I'm exhausted. I'm trying to go as regular as possible but with work I probably only make it twice a week.

Does anyone know how much working out you need to do before you start seeing results?

Thanks

I only go twice a week for an hour at a time. Its all i can really fit in with work studying and looking after my LO. I think its going to take a while to shift my mum tum with only going twice a week but its better than nothing even if it takes a bit longer to see a difference

I have gym membership but tend to only use it to swim now, I find I work out much harder with a 20 minute HIIT workout at home than I did with 45 mins in the gym (as just used to use bike and cross trainer and didn't really push myself)

I worked in a gym for almost 10 years and am a qualified personal trainer(though I don't do this anymore).
Twice a week is great and three times a week is ideal. Time is not important, 20-30 minutes of hard work can see better results than a longer time spent. You should be pushing yourself but not to the point where you are very uncomfortable. A 5 minute stetch after does wonders.
Results wise you will notice results within yourself in about 2 weeks, such as having more energy and being less tired/breathless. You should notice results in your body in a couple of months, such as muscle tone.

The one peice of advice I really want to push though is to find exercises that you enjoy, don't push through doing things that you don't really like. If you find what you enjoy you will stick to it and sticking to it is the only thing that sees longterm results. 95% of people I saw didn't stick to it because they were making themselves do it rather than choosing the things they enjoyed.

I joined over the summer and it has already started dwindling! I strained my groin and that was the start of it. Prior to that I went twice a week for 45 minutes a time. I enjoyed getting away on my own for a bit, ideally I will build it up to an hour twice a week.

It's not about the duration more about the quality of that workout. Fit in what you can and you'll see results in time. You'll find you can manage more as your fitness levels improve too. At the moment I only go to 2 to 3 45minute spin classes a week but make sure I make the best out of those that I possibly can. I am following a weight loss plan too and although I don't always see results on the scales my body is definitely changing shape due to extra exercise. Everything you can do helps you don't have to spend hours there. X

I re joined yesterday too. I did half an hour. I'm pretty much at the weight I want to be I just want to go for my mental well being as I suffer depression and anxiety so I want to see if exercise can help. Good luck with your journey xx

I have a gym membership and I go do two classes a week. I do body combat, the classes are 55 minutes each. I really enjoy them. I prefer classes to actually using the gym. I go in the evenings when my Oh is home so he can look after the boy's xx

Sorry forgot too say before I fell pregnant with Jamie ( he is nearly 2) I was doing combat twice a week and I really started too tone up and lost weight. I'm really starting to get back into it now so I'm hoping for the same results. Lol xx

I would say it isn't so much about time, but about what you're doing and also what sort of shape you're in now. I don't actually go to the gym, as we live really rurally, so it's too far away, but I do try to work out at home. Me personally, I have seen some pretty solid improvements with 3-4 times a week through indoor cycling (spinning) and also weight training and doing that consistently for several months. I've been sick lately and also super stressed and busy with work, so it's all gone to crap. But when it's not like that, I do two spinning session a week (at home, I own a spin bike and I do a video workout on it, which is about 40-50 minutes) and then I also do weight training (using kettlebells) for about 15 to 20 minutes 1-2 times a week. It's actually not much at all in terms of time, but it's pretty high intensity, which I think makes the difference. I don't think I could do more than 3-4 times a week as I can't squeeze it in. That combined with eating a more high protein/high fat diet and less high GI carbs has made a real difference for me and I feel a lot better.

I think the suggestion above about picking something you enjoy is really key. I used to run, but I don't enjoy it anymore. Pregnancy screwed up my pelvis, and even 3 years later, it easily flares up. But indoor cycling was great for me and I find it much more enjoyable (it also completely sorted out my pain issues). Same with weight training. I started out just trying to do something twice a week and not stressing about it too much. Once I got in better shape, I enjoyed it so much more and it was all much easier. Honestly, I don't think I've ever spent more than 60 minutes at the gym! Do something fun and high intensity, but don't wear yourself out or make yourself hate it.

Just to add my husband is military and goes to the gym about 5 times a week, even he doesn't do more than an hour (as he doesn't do weights). I wish I could eat the calories he burns....he would run for 40 minutes on a tread mill, I would just go steady on a bike and cross trainer and he would burn at least double the amount of calories according to the machines, so def not about time spent!

I've wasted a lot of my gym membership. I used to go every other day for an hour at a time. Then it went to every 2-3 days... And every 1-2 weeks lol. I even bought myself some expensive trainers just to boost me but that's failed too. I have days where I want to go but can't for practical reason, then I have days where I have planned to go but don't want to. I'm at the weight I was when I was 35 weeks pregnant (!!!!!!!) with DD1, it may not sound a lot at 9st 7lbs but I'm 4'11" and struggling to shift it. With my food shops I've cut down and cut out sugary snacks for myself, with no tempting foods in the cupboard.

I need to go back to the gym. Before having children I did three classes a week, now I do nothing. My diet isn't great either. I need to just find the confidence to start again, maybe a class a week to start with.

Good luck all of you

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"