Question re sweeps for ladies in the UK

Agcam

Reaction score
If you're in the UK, may I ask when you were offered your first sweep, and how many you are allowed to have?

I had my appointment today, and the midwife said that I couldn't have a sweep until 41 weeks, and they only offered 2.

Thanks!

I've had 2 sweeps. One at 40+2 and one at 40+5. Both times the baby arrived less than 6 hours later!

I got offered one yesterday at 38+3 and in still pregnant. Not a twinge, a show or nothing.

I've had one at 40+2 and 39+ 5 with previous pregnancies and they have both worked.

With my first I was offered one at 40 weeks, the appointment ended up being when I was 40+3. That was 7 years ago though but I reckon it varies by area. They’ll all have their own policies that they follow.

Our trust policy is if it's your first baby you can have a sweep at 40 weeks but subsequent babies it's at 41 weeks

My hospital policy is you can have a sweep from 37 weeks if you wish x

Last time i was having them from 38 weeks onwards but they didn't work because my body obviously wasn't ready, actually my body is never ready as I'm always induced lol x

My local trust policy in community is 41 weeks for first baby, 40 weeks for subsequent but if a doctor okays it then you can have from 37/38 weeks in hospital.

Thank you all for your replies. It's funny how the policy varies from place to place.
I had 3 sweeps with my first, at 40, 40+6 and 41+3. I went into labour a couple of hours after my last sweep.
Will see what happens this time around....

I had one at 38 weeks as they thought he was going to be huge

The efficiency must vary between clinicians too... The midwife who attempted mine this week said she's known for them working. I must have had a couple of sweeps with DD2 (she's fifteen next week so I can't be sure... but) I think I had at 40 and 41 weeks and I went into labour @ 41+4. I vaguely recall clinic was Friday then, and my labour was a Saturday eve job and has been my only spontaneous labour. I'll see what is occurring at 40+3 at an appointment I reckon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->