Questions about oxygen

embojet

Molly and Ethan's Mummy
Reaction score
Molly is now 5 weeks old (or 34 weeks). She was born at 29 weeks and was ventilated for a few hours, and was then put on CPAP. She was only on this for a few days and was then breathing completely for herself. She was put on 'a little bit of oxygen' a week later, and has been on varying amounts of oxygen ever since. She is now beginning to take bottles and it's getting towards going home time. Of course I'm really excited about this but I'm worried she will be on oxygen for a long time at home. When I ask the nurses about this they say ' oh she will be fine'. The nurses have differing opinions, some say she will be off oxygen any time soon, and some say she will be on it for a while. Has anyone has a baby home on oxygen? How long were they on for? How did you find it? Thanks x

hey hun, cant help you with my own experience as my wee girl still in, she was on oxygen until 37 weeks, but every baby is different. i would give her a little while yet as she only 34 weeks. my friends wee girl was the same on oxygen until nearly term then came off it and got home a week after her due date. your wee one will get stronger everyday!! then get home!! xxx

I agree with the nurses hun, she will be fine and one day she will just get it:) My little boy was ventilated for a week, on cpap for 3 weeks, then on lo-flo oxygen for another few days-week. I thought just as you and thought he'd never not need the oxygen but he did. He was born at 28 weeks so your little one has done remarkably well :)

Hun you really will be ok even if your lo has to come home on oxygen, jack was a 26 weeker and came home on 0.5 of oxygen he was slowly weaned off it and had to go in for sleep studies ever so often to check how he coped with out oxygen, after 6 months he was off it all day and a few months later he came off nocturnal oxygen i know it sounds a long time but jack has cronic lung disease a pda and holes in his heart, every child is different and i hope and pray your lo comes home off of oxygen but if not please don't worry hun it soon becomes second nature and you'll be like " what oxygen?", now they are discussing going home see if they are going to lend you a sats monitor ( i had to stamp my feet for 1) and also if she does come home on oxygen some one from home air will come and install it through out your home for you.
Sorry if i have waffled on a bit i'm here if you want to chat.
By the way jack is now 2 1/2 yeard old and a little terror.

Thanks everyone. Molly came home yesterday, hurrah! We are doing well. Her oxygen is only on 0.03 which is apparently quite low. Coping well so far, so happy to finally have her here. :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->