• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

questions about wanting a home birth

Even if you decided for an epidural, you won't get one right aways. Labouring women are the lowest priority because their pain is labour pain, and an anesthesiologist must be available. I got one after a 24 hour labour but it took a few hours for the anesthesiologist to arrive as well, so it's really no different than transferring.

And then sometimes it's too late if your too dilated by the time people her offered 1. It's bad really coz I'm sure your in a lot of pain x

And then sometimes it's too late if your too dilated by the time people her offered 1. It's bad really coz I'm sure your in a lot of pain x

Not necessarily. I enjoyed my home birth very much, there wasn't very much pain overall... most of it was in the last couple of hours, and it was never awful. It got harder to cope as I got TIREDER, but the G&A helped a lot with that, in "taking the edge off" and helping me to breathe slowly and deeply.

There really are lots of ladies who enjoy birthing and don't think of it as "being in a lot of pain" (try browsing the sticky thread "Positive birth stories".)

Also, there are lots of choices for pain relief aside from G&A that are not an epidural :)

Thank you, you've all been a great help in answering questions I didn't know and help me prepare for what I want x

This is a really great thread. I'm starting to think about hb. Not sure yet, as there is also a midwife-led birth centre at the hospital which might be a nice kind of compromise. But I'm scared I'd not get a place there, that the pools might be booked up, so I'm thinking of doing it at home instead.

I hate the idea of a OBEM style birth. I've only seen a few positive looking water births on it. Everyone else seems to be on their backs in a hospital bed. It doesn't look like a very nice atmosphere to being a new life into the world.

[A similar thing happened to me as well (shoulder dystocia) - EXCEPT - I was stuck on my back, strapped to monitors (pitocin induction) and paralyzed from the waist down with an epidural. I was unable to do many of the simple physical maneuvers to free the baby, and thus his collarbone was broken on purpose to pull him out because I was laying there useless and could not do anything pro-active.
I really feel for you here, cannot have been a nice experience at all :(

Also try some HypnoBirthing mummywannabe, again, all about relaxation and letting go of fear AFAIK, OBEM always scares me, they always seem so keen to intervene and the delivery rooms look horrible, cold, clinical.
I think I've made my mind up to birth at home (see if the MW/Consultant tries to talk me out due to my fibroid)

This is a really great thread. I'm starting to think about hb. Not sure yet, as there is also a midwife-led birth centre at the hospital which might be a nice kind of compromise. But I'm scared I'd not get a place there, that the pools might be booked up, so I'm thinking of doing it at home instead.

I hate the idea of a OBEM style birth. I've only seen a few positive looking water births on it. Everyone else seems to be on their backs in a hospital bed. It doesn't look like a very nice atmosphere to being a new life into the world.

Of course the most important thing is that you're in the place you feel you can really relax the most and that won't be home for everyone BUT it's also important to remember that there is nothing that they can't do at home that they can do in a MLU. The two places are exactly the same in terms of statistical 'safety'. I'm fact outcomes at home are the same for babies and actually better for mums....

Well, if my neighbours can handle my yelling then maybe home will be best!

Haha I was thinking about the neighbours but were not attached on either side so unless there standing near my front door I don't think anyone would hear me, but I'm sure you wouldn't care anyway x

Of course the most important thing is that you're in the place you feel you can really relax the most and that won't be home for everyone BUT it's also important to remember that there is nothing that they can't do at home that they can do in a MLU. The two places are exactly the same in terms of statistical 'safety'. I'm fact outcomes at home are the same for babies and actually better for mums....

I would also really love to know the difference between hospital/home births and statistical postpartum depression/emotional satisfaction. I suspect the greatly-underestimated mental health portion of it would vary drastically.

I remember my hospital birth being nothing but trauma.

I remember my home "birth" of Evie (9 weeks, intact fetus and all), despite the obvious miscarriage outcome, to be much more pleasant and satisfying.

Before having kids, I would have thought it to be completely bizarre to be much more emotionally secure/happy after 'birthing' an intact miscarriage than to have a live birth. Bizarre. But true. The power of being in your own home is nothing to underestimate.

Sorry about your mc.
But it all sounds nice what your saying about being happy to be in your own home x

Of course there are times when we do everything 'right' and still need some help and that's why we should all be grateful for the marvel that is modern medicine and life saving c section etc. BUT it's important to understand that EVERY intervention such as breaking waters, speeding things up with synthetic oxytocin, constant fetal monitoring, restrictions on time and positions, inductions even without an epidural DO increase the chances of you having an assisted or cesarean delivery. That's a fact. For the vast majority of women, an undisturbed birth ie one that follows its own timeline, pattern etc however far from the 'averages' or text books it is and is not 'augmented' in anyway, will be a normal, healthy delivery. That's a fact.

I just have to say AGREE AGREE AGREE with everything Mervsmum said here, and I had a home birth with my first and I am planning a homebirth with this (2nd baby) pregnancy too. A lot of times intervention is the result of FEAR and being UNSURE and UNCOMFORTABLE because you are in a hospital, a place that naturally freaks everyone out! I think you increase your chances of a relaxed birth without intervention by being at home. Please read Ina May Gaskins Guide to Childbirth!!

My early labour went for 44 hours (yes I was and am fine!!) and you can guarantee that if I had been in hospital they would have pushed for augmentation and I wouldn't have got the lovely relaxed homebirth that I had,
and my baby was absolutely fine and perfect even after 49 hrs total labour!

btw where I live there is NO medicinal pain relief allowed for homebirths (reserved only for use by Drs) so I just had my relaxation exersizes, hubby and my birthing pool :)

Good luck with your TTC journey!!

Glad you had a good experience too.

No pain relief oh dear, I'm not sure I'd have a home birth in that case coz I'm not good with pain and that would worry me more I think x

Cliche warning!! It's not like any other pain. Cliche, but very true. I am the biggest wimp in the world when it comes to pain, I promise. But I still enjoyed labouring.

Try to be relaxed about it, if you can, since tension won't help you any :) And rather than thinking "oh heck, I am no good at pain", try thinking, OK, what can I *DO* about it? Starting with the least invasive coping techniques/relief and working up. Once you brainstorm it, you will realise there is a lot you can do about it, and this is quite comforting, I think!

I think UK midwives as least bring gas and air to a HB?

Enjoyed labouring!!

Can it really be enjoyable?

I would try all the things 1st before going onto proper pain relief, I wouldn't just jump straight into it, coz it builds up gradually doesnt it x

Yes!! With my second I turned to my hubby about 20mins after she was born and said 'I wanna do that all again now!'. And I was pregnant 9 months later I enjoyed it so much! :lol: It was incredibly enjoyable and empowering beyond all comprehension!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->