• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

questions about wanting a home birth

Enjoyed labouring!!

Can it really be enjoyable?

I would try all the things 1st before going onto proper pain relief, I wouldn't just jump straight into it, coz it builds up gradually doesnt it x

Yes it really CAN be! having a positive mindset really helps. and being in the right place ***for you*** - that really helps too! and having good support around you, that is important :)

You're exactly right: it usually builds gradually so there is time to get into a rhythm and find what works for you. It is not continuous, it comes in waves, with gaps between for you to rest.

Oooooh I want to do it all again! I remember my last labour; I laboured really gently most of the day, just chilling out on the sofa in my dressing gown, relaxing. DH cleaned up in the kitchen and got the pool ready then he sat in the armchair watching TV. My son played with his lego blocks. I WISH I'd sat between DH's knees and had him massage my neck and shoulders. I can just imagine how my labour would have built up deliciously in that gorgeous atmosphere. Oooooo! I've got oxytocin practically pouring out of me in jets just THINKING about it! :D

Hehe it all sounds crazy to me but amazing but I've never heard anyone say anything like that before about child birth.
It's putting good things in my mind tho x

Hehe it all sounds crazy to me but amazing but I've never heard anyone say anything like that before about child birth.
It's putting good things in my mind tho x

Youre listening to the wrong people then ;) I live in a parallel universe where women may start off with different levels of anxiety about birth but on the whole enjoy the experience :)

Ok don't think of it as having to be painful, and don't underestimate yourself!
I am the big wimp who (before labour) used to stub her toe and well up with tears, or bang my elbow and well up... Well you get the picture. I was such a huge wimp, and when I said I wanted a home birth without pain relief (if possible), I was laughed at. My friends and family thought I was nuts.
I sailed through my labour and birth. Don't get me wrong, it's not easy - I found it challenging, intense and harder as I got more tired, but it was AMAZING. I loved it, I was so comfortable and relaxed in my own home. And if you're worried about noise, none of my neighbours heard me and we live in a flat. I wasn't screaming, kind if low groaning but that's as far as it went. I had no drugs, found my birth pool incredibly soothing and it's own pain relief.
It truly was the best experience and I firmly believe it was so because I was positive and didn't believe that I had to be in pain. It doesn't have to be painful. The best labours and births are so because a woman is willing to le go. I just allowed my body to do what it wanted to do. I didn't let midwives tell me when to push or when not to, I refused (in the nicest possible way) to be internally examined because I didn't see the need, my body was made for this process and it knew what to do and when.
Now, there are certain situations which will mean that a labouring woman will need assistance. But these situations are reduced when you're at home and not distressed. If you are in difficulty midwives will spot it early and transfer you in plenty of time. You should also bear in mind that when you birth at home you have two midwives with you throughout. They're not going to miss anything because they are entirely focused on you.
Oh and now when I stub my toe I say ow, but I don't really mean it, doesn't effect me in the slightest these days!

I hope mine goes exactly like yours did pielette

That sounds lovely Pielette! I really hope I will be the same.

It seems that your midwife won't listen to you wanting a home birth until your at least 35 weeks.
What was your situation with that?
And do they send any midwives when your in
Labour or ones you've met before x

In my area they don't push home birthing at all, but they were happy enough with my decision, think I said that was what I wanted at around 30 weeks.
I had two midwives at the birth, well technically three cos I had a student one as well, my lounge was packed! The main one arrived at about 6am, about 4 and a half hours before Noah was born - I didn't know her beforehand but she was the head of the home birth team in my area and she was amazing, absolutely loved her. The second one arrived about half an hour before his birth and she was the one assigned to me throughout my pregnancy. As I understand it, it entirely depends on who is on as to who attends you.
One thing to bear in mind - YOU know your own body better than anyone else. When my husband first called we were told to wait until my contractions were 3 minutes apart. Fir me they were never regular, the intervals were constantly changing. It just got to a point here I knew for sure it was the real thing and that I needed a midwife, so just called again and demanded!

Ok thank you. Hopefully il remember all this wheny time comes.
I do really want 1 so I hope when I get pregnant, my pregnancy goes fine and all is we for a home birth x

Also
The midwives that come out to you. Are they from your local hospital? Because people talk
About there local birthing centre but don't think we have 1 of those near us x

Everywhere does it differently but it's unlikely to be your named Mw. You don't need to decide on a home birth till your in labour so don't sweat it if they won't talk to you about it before a certain stage.

What of you left it till you were in labour and they didn't have any midwives free for you.

Do they get annoyed having to drive out rather than being in the hospital x

Who ever comes is likely to be 'on call' rather than coming from hospital, but they do sometimes send them from labiur ward too. It's up to the local areas how they organise it. And obviously they would rather know in advance but you can technically decide on the day but, would you? Most people have decided I'm advance, I'm just trying to demonstrate there's no urgency to 'book' a HB.

In Glasgow we have a dedicated home birth team. It's good because they are really up for it and positive! It also means you are more likely to know the midwife who delivers your baby.

Here's a story about how it works:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/health/number-of-home-births-soars-to-a-record-high-1.1014157

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->