questions about washable nappies and wipes?

spacecadet

1st time mum
Reaction score
hello!
ive just bought 12 x 'naughty baby' nappies and have started using washable wipes too (fleece ones) they seem to be working fine - im using both inserts in each nappy for the extra absorbancy..
ive noticed that at night they do leak so am going to use disposables tonight but can anyone recommend a brand for night time (have just bought a blueberry off ebay to try!)
also with the washable wipes, atm i have them in a plastic container and have just put a drop of water and baby wash to wet them.. i heard you can use chamomile/lavender oil to moisten and store them and tea tree oil to store/soak dirty ones in, is this correct? and is it just aromatherapy oil or a special one?
its only day 2 of using the washables and so far seems easy enough, i love how soft and fluffy there are! she seems to like the extra padding too!!
hope someone can answer some of my questions! thanks in advance :)

BumGenius worked great for us at night for many months, then we started having stink issues which is pretty common with BG apparently. We then ended up switching to fitted nighttime diapers. But I've made it work with fuzzi bunz too, the original insert then either an extra one I had or a prefold even folded up and put in there.

For wipes I didn't wet them before use, I would keep mine separate. I bought some little bits from a WAHM that you melt into water and I kept that in spray bottles and just sprayed him or the wipe and then cleaned him off. I preferred that because the few times I tried keeping them wet they started to smell. I know a few ladies on here have success with it though

I am the same, I keep my wipes dry 'til I use them, I have a spray bottle with baby bath and wate rin which I use, but I know you can use oils too, they are just the normal ones.

I would highly recommend a Pop In nappy for night time, Freya can leak through all the cloth nappies I have tried and also all disposables too! Except for the Pop In. It comes with a night time booster and is so thick there is no way it would leak for us. She has regularly leaked through a pampers nappy, that's how bad it is!

People prefer all sorts though.

:)

I use tot bots bamboozles over night with a fleece liner and don't have a problem with them except they stink slightly in the morning.
The wipes I had a few drops of lavendar essential oil to camomile tea and soak my clean wipes in that! The dirty ones go in water with a few drops of tee tree essential oil

regarding washable wipes - I spent a couple of days a few months ago making some and it's been the best £3 I have spent because they are brilliant (I bought a pack of 4 towelling tea towels from Primark, cut each into quarters then cut a pieces of an old Ikea fleece throw to the same size and blanket stitched them together). I have only made 8 so far but have to get on and do more as they are so much better than disposable (thick and really good for a pooey bum as the textured side gets the poo off while the fleece side is super soft).

anyway, I keep them dry till I want to use them, then soak them in hot water, then I spray with a solution of baby wash, water and olive oil. I found that my son hated being wiped with something cold but he loves it when it's warm. after, I rinse and, if it's only been used on a wet bum, use it another time. if it's been used on poo, I rinse to get the poo out as much as poss, then add them to my dry nappy bucket, which has a few drops of tea tree oil in the bottom.

For those that use a dry nappy bucket, do you just drop tea tree oil or whatever straight in? I have found putting a washable wipe in the bottom with whatever oil you want to use on is good, I put it in the bottom of the bucket then use a mesh bag on top of it with the nappies in so the wipe doesn't go in the wash everytime.

The wipes I bought are terry on one side and fleece on the other so good like Mary says for the texture. :)

I drop a few drops of tea tree oil direct into the bucket. I have also stuck a panty liner with a few drops of tea tree on the inside of the bucket lid. so it's attacking the smell from the bottom and the top!

wow thanks ladies!!
i have noticed a smell storing the wipes damp, am getting lavender essential oil and tea tree essential oil soon so will use them, i did wonder if you could use camomile tea! i like the idea of that, think i will prepare a spray bottle with the tea and lavender oil drops and just have a plastic container to store used ones with tea tree oil!
have no issues yet washing the nappies on a cold wash, just chucking them in with everything else so havent needed to store them, seems to be getting the poo out ok!
excited about my blueberry nappy arriving and tried to bid on 2 used pop-in nappys on ebay but didnt win might buy a new one to try!
think im getting addicted to buying nappies now! my fella said by the time we've bought them we've spent the same amount as we would have in disposables (rubbish i said anyway its all about her carbon footprint dont ya know!!)
so thanks for all the tips and advice everyone!! will let you know how we get on!
:)

Just thought I'd add my thoughts too!

Having used cloth for 22 months, I'm now at the stage where I just wet my cloth wipes under warm water before using them - no additives at all. I just haven't found them necessary. I carry a small spray bottle of water in the nappy bag and change it frequently. Usually, I try to change him in a change room so there's a sink handy anyway.

For night time, we used to use FuzziBunz in the early months with an additional insert - I found hemp absorbent. However, once he was a bit older, this didn't cut it. So, eventually figured out we had to use a fitted nappy with a cover - we like the Dream Eze organic cotton nappies with MotherEase air flow covers. The downside is that the cover makes the whole thing a little smelly by morning, however it does prevent any soaking through. And that helps us all get some sleep!!

Hope that helps ... there are so many options out there and I've found that what works for one baby, doesn't necessarily work for another, so there's a lot of trial and error. It's worth it though!

I can recommend the pop-in as a night time nappy too :thumbup: Sofia is a very heavy wetter, last night she was in it for nearly 14 hours, had 3 feeds and not even slightly damp.

Tonight I'm trying a Gro Baby nappy, which I have high hopes for!

ooo im so excited just bought a pop-in nappy off ebay to try so am waiting for a blueberry & that one to arrive in the post!
ebay is bad....:blush: its far too easy to buy buy buy......
my fella said no more nappies! i had to tell him i had already bought and paid for 2 more!! didnt say how much though...:haha:
think im addicted to buying nappies now......:blush:

ooo im so excited just bought a pop-in nappy off ebay to try so am waiting for a blueberry & that one to arrive in the post!
ebay is bad....:blush: its far too easy to buy buy buy......
my fella said no more nappies! i had to tell him i had already bought and paid for 2 more!! didnt say how much though...:haha:
think im addicted to buying nappies now......:blush:

Join the club!!

My postie didn't bring me anything :cry: Mean postie.

If you didn't fancy going for cloth at night (I'm not there yet, but hoping to try soon!) we've been using Naty Nature Babycare bio disposables for 2 months now :)happydance: Vince is 2 months old today!!) and Vincent can go up to 9 hours at night with no leaks! I reckon they could go even longer too, if he'd stay asleep!! I'd class him as a fairly heavy wetter, too.

HTH
Shadow xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back