Questions after anomaly scan

Rachel_C

Reaction score
Hiya. I had my anomaly scan today, everything looks good with baby and we found out we're having a girl! Woo!

I have a few questions though, if you don't mind.

Apparently my placenta is at the front. I asked if it being at the front may be why I haven't yet felt baby move and the sonographer was very amused and said she's never heard that before. I've definitely seen it mentioned on here... has anyone been told that by their doctor or midwife, or is it just something pregnant ladies on here have noticed?

I'll have another scan at 34 weeks to check that the placenta is out of the way (it's low at the moment). If it wasn't, would that automatically mean a c-section?

Also, at the end of the scan the sonographer mentioned that my uterus had been contracting throughout the scan. She said it was nothing to worry about though. Is this Brackston Hicks? I couldn't feel anything.

I'm so glad I found this forum! I don't see my GP for another three weeks and I'm not worried really, but it would be good to hear what you think.

Thanks, Rach x

hey hun, i have a anterior placenta (at the front) too and yes both my midwife and my ultrasound tech told me that was why i hadn't felt any movements at that stage, i felt my first kicks about 10-14 days after my scan so don't worry about that, i can still see baby's kicks on the outside too even tho some people say anterior placenta means that you can't/won't.

your placenta should probably move up before the birth so again i wouldn't worry, but if not then yep it usually means a c-section, but theres a big chance you'll be able to deliver naturally.

not too sure about the braxton hicks, altho im pretty sure (not 100%) that they don't happen this early (i could deffo be wrong) but my friend (also called rach lol - spooky) had her 12 week scan not so long ago and the tech told her that her uterus was also contracting, so its probably nothing to worry about either lol!

p.s WELCOME TO TEAM PINK!!!!!!!!!!

XXXXX

I've been getting BH from about 14 weeks (3rd baby) and in the past week they have been getting painful.

It's common to get BH this early but usually you don't feel them, so you are not aware of them till you can feel them.

It's not a problem.

The placenta should move up before the birth, but if it doesn't then it is usually safer to have a c section, although this depends on the position of the placenta. They will let you try labour, closely monitored if it is not too low.

Welcome to team pink!!! :happydance:

I also have an anterior placenta. I almost never feel much movement or kicks on the front of my belly. Everything I do feel is down low. If he kicks really hard I might feel it a bit higher. There was one instance where I saw my belly jump when he gave a hard kick, but only one. I also believe this is why my OH can't feel him move yet. He felt him once, down low, with a hard kick. But has tried to feel him several times with no luck.

I have an anterior low lying placenta as well. They used the term "marginal placenta previa" and told me no sex and nothing in the vagina until my next scan around 28 weeks to see if it moved up. My placenta is 1.1cm from my cervix. Also my midwife said I can deliver vaginally even if it doesn't move up, but there may be more bleeding. She said the babies head usually presses firmly on the placenta during delivery and acts to stop any bleeding that might occur.

I didn't feel kicks until 22ish weeks, and now at 25 weeks the baby is really moving around in their like crazy and it's fun to watch from the outside :happydance:

I have an anterior placenta and was told I would feel movement later as a result. I felt some movement by 17 weeks and kicks by 20 weeks, but never right in front.

As far as I know, a low placenta will probably move up before delivery. If not, it would have to be pretty darn low for them to insist on a c-section.

Welcome to the boards! and congrats on your little girl.

Anterior here too! Hopefully your baby will get into a side position and you'll feel plenty there and also low down.
I dont get much sensation middle of tum at all but i do see the movements there on occasion. Mine likes to stay on the right hand side mostly and I htink it can depend where baby hangs about as to what and where you'll feel it - also if it's facing the placenta or away from it.

I shouldnt worry though, I bet within 5 weeks or so you're feeling loads :hug:

BH can happen anytime during pregnancy, but you dont usually feel them until after 30weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->