Questions to ask during hospital tour

Otis

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any questions that they wish they had asked during their's, or think would be good to ask. My tour is Monday and I'm trying to cover everything to not stress so much on the big day. :)

FOUND ON A SITE.
Natural Birth You definitely want to find out how comfortable your hospital is with natural births. These days most of them are very accommodating. Be sure to ask about equipment like birthing balls and showers. Check on what kind of positions they allow and whether they have squatting bars.
Anesthesia If you plan on getting an epidural, ask about response times for anesthesiologists. You’ll want to know if you’ll be waiting a few minutes or an hour when you’re trying to decide when to request an epidural. There’s no guarantee, especially if the anesthesiologists are in c-sections, but it’s good to know average times. (My nurse told me she rarely sees anyone wait longer than 20 minutes.)
Birth Plans This is an area where a lot depends on your labor nurse, but there are hospitals that frown on birth plans that are several pages long. You should always talk to your doctor or midwife about your birth plan first. Be sure to make it more of a wish list than a set of demands.
Fetal Monitoring If this is your first time giving birth, ask about when and how they do monitoring, especially if you want to be up and about while you labor.
Nurse Shifts Another woman on my tour asked about this and I thought it was brilliant. In my last delivery, my labor nurse—whom I adored—had a shift change an hour before I had the baby. I was so sad to lose her. Turns out at The Brigham their nurses are on 12-hour shifts, which I’m really pleased about.
The Nursery Some women find the nursery a lifesaver and others refuse to use it; however, as Chris Just, Executive Director of Prenatal Education at Isis says, “Be aware that ‘rooming in’ with your baby is recommended for optimal bonding and ease of breastfeeding initiation when there are no medical concerns that necessitate a stay in the nursery. Wisely, many hospitals strongly recommend or even require rooming in because it has been proven to be best for both moms and babies.”
Breastfeeding Not only do you want to see about breastfeeding in your labor room right after delivery, you may also want to check on whether you can breastfeed right after a c-section. Most hospitals have developed skin-to-skin policies in which the baby is brought onto mom’s chest as soon after birth as possible which also promotes better bonding. Check and see if your hospital has breastfeeding classes and lactation consults available after you go up to your recovery room in addition to taking your prenatal breastfeeding classes so you are prepared beforehand.
Check-Out Hospitals generally have a standard time after delivery that you’ll check out, depending on if you have a vaginal or c-section delivery. Typically the stay is 48 hrs post vaginal delivery and 4 days post c-section. You can ask your tour leader what time of day discharge usually occurs.
Visitors Check to see if there are specific hours for visiting. Some hospitals may restrict children due to concerns about illness around the newborns. And you can find out how many people can be with you in the delivery room.

OTHER QUESTIONS
Will I have to pay a fee?
Will my baby be allowed to stay in the room with me the whole time?
Can my partner spend the night with me in the hospital?
Are breastfeeding classes or other breastfeeding resources offered?
Are video cameras, cell phones, and cameras allowed in the labor and delivery rooms?
How many people can be in the delivery room with me?
How are room costs, such as TV, phone, and private room fees, handled?
What are the hospital's security policies?
How many visitors are allowed in the room at once?
Is there an age requirement for children who visit?
What policies will I learn about?
What rooms will I visit?-You should tour every room you'll visit during your hospital stay.

Also great to know about meal plans and times
Formula - do they offer it? Do you bring your own? Do you have to special request it?
Pain - what medication do they offer?

Hope some of these helped

Hope those help:)
A ton, thank you! Almost doubled my list. :haha:

Also great to know about meal plans and times
Formula - do they offer it? Do you bring your own? Do you have to special request it?
Pain - what medication do they offer?

Hope some of these helped
Thank you! Can't believe I let the pain medication one slip my mind... oops!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->