Questions to ask potentioal home birth midwife

TTCBean

Reaction score
What are some essential questions to ask a potential home birth midwife?

I have an appointment next Friday with a midwife and with another midwife on the 25th. They are basically just me and DH going in and asking questions.

When I talked to one of the midwives on the phone I felt so stupid! She basically didn't say much and only wanted me to ask questions and figure it out, I told her I know nothing and that I am basically lost. She didn't seem too helpful... but maybe they expect potential home birthers to be super knowledgeable before contacting them? :shrug:

I am only 5+1 today, I just want to plan so I can have the best for my baby. :baby:

Any help would be beyond appreciated, thank you ladies!

This is quite a good list - the most important thing is that you connect with her though. You need to feel comfortable with them as they will be with you at the most intimate time of your life

hat is included in the fees? What do I need to provide for a home birth?
2.At what point in my labor will you come to my home to assist with labor/birth?
3.How many births have you attended?
4.What is your hospital transfer rate?
5.What care would you provide to me if a transfer were necessary?
6.What is your experience with home births after caesarean (HBAC)?
7.How many home birth clients do you typically have in a four-week period and what is your plan if you have two clients laboring/giving birth at the same time?
9.Have you ever missed a homebirth? If so, what were the circumstances?
10.Are you available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week during my pregnancy?
11.Do you have a back-up physician?
12.Do you require specific tests during pregnancy? (i.e. One-Hour Glucose Screen, Group B Strep, etc.)
13.Do you allow a mother to go past 42 weeks and still have a homebirth?
14.Do you require a childbirth preparation class to prepare for homebirth?
15.What is your role during a birth?
16.Do I need to hire a doula for labor support or do you provide that also?
17.What equipment and supplies do you bring to a birth?
18.Are you able to suture the perineum if necessary?
19.How long do you stay after the birth? Do you help clean up?
20.Do you provide post-natal visits in the days after the home birth?
21.What is your standard for cord clamping and cutting?
22.Will you use a fetal scope in place of a Doppler if requested?
23.How many assistants do you typically bring to a home birth?
24.If you are sick, who will attend me?
25.Do you perform episiotomies? If so, how many have you performed?
26.Have you had any bad outcomes with a mother/baby? Please explain them.
27.Will you be able to help me with any breastfeeding problems?
28.What is your experience with herbs, homeopathy & alternative medicine?

I agree, definitely pick someone who immediately comes across as warm, supportive and helpful and not someone who makes you feel stupid. Women who choose to home birth (especially in the U.S. where it's not that common) probably are hyper-informed about lots of things already, but that doesn't mean a midwife should expect you to be. Her job is to help you learn about those things. Maybe on the phone she was just trying to figure out what you needed by asking lots of questions, but if she still gives you the same feeling when you meet with her, definitely keep looking. Also, I'm interviewing doulas at the moment and I asked my friend (who is a doula) what advice she'd have for me and she said one of the main things, besides trust and connection with someone, is that you have to choose a person who makes you feel comfortable enough to be naked in front of them and not feel subconscious (either about your body or your knowledge level). I think that probably goes for choosing a midwife too. Someone who is cold and unsupportive isn't someone you'll want to strip naked in front of, so find someone who does make you feel comfortable and safe.

I start interviewing midwives next week as well. Every midwife I have talked to so far has been so warm and welcoming very quick to give me encouragement. I immediately got the feeling from them that yeah this is someone I'd want in my corner when I take on labor and birth. i'd say go with your gut! Momma's instinct it's a proven thing. I'm one of those worry wort worst case scenerios especially with me being epileptic and every midwife has been so calm and reassuring. and the thing I've noticed is there are midwives who use we and midwives who use I and you. The ones i'm doing secondary interviews on are we midwives. We will figure out the best plan for you and your baby, We will work on pain management techniques. I feel like I have a friend holding my hand that I didn't get with the I and you ob's and midwives. Like you are going to need to do this. or I have decided that this is how the course of action is going to take place. that just makes you feel alone. so in short cause now i'm babbling.

warm cozy
Someone you'd tag team godzilla with
We not I and You
Mama Instinct

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly