Rant about baby name

mrs_park

Mummy to THREE BOYS!
Reaction score
So we have had a lot of trouble deciding on a name for this baby boy. We'd sort of narrowed it down to one and now something my mum said has upset me.

She asked me the other day if we had a name yet and I said we had one we liked that we have been trying out. I told her the name is "Aenon" (pronounced AY-non) She repeated it back a few times and then said that it sounds like Anus and he might get teased at school.

I'm devestated. I really liked the name, now I feel like its been tainted :cry:

I wouldn't let something like that put me off if I really liked the name. I don't think it sounds like anus at all, and honestly kids will find so etching to tease each other about anyway so I don't think it matters what you name them.

OH's mum doesn't like the name we've chosen either and I was really annoyed so since then we haven't told anyone what our name is because I just don't want their opinions on it, I think people tend to keep them to themselves once the baby is actually born. I can't totally understand why you're upset though.

I would never have made that connection so I'm sure the children won't either. If you like it then I'd still use it

Thanks ladies. Maybe I'm just being hormonal. I maybe over reacted.

I like it & think it goes well with your other boys names.

I know my mum won't like the name we've chosen but oh well she will have to get used to it!

What kids have the word "anus" in their everyday vocab? I can't see the connection at all anyway.

Boys' names are difficult, IMO. If you guys have settled on a name that you like - don't let the grandparents pick your decision apart with tenuous arguments.

My mom doesn't like the name we picked either. She's worried about a particular name it can be shortened to she doesn't like. I didn't want to tell her until the birth papers were filled out but she was bent out of shape not knowing. She's done pretty good keeping it to herself now whether she hates it or not, I suppose that's all I can ask.

I think there will also be people who don't like the name we've chosen, as we are going for a traditional name but will be using a shortened form of it. A few people have said they don't like shortened names (without realising that's what we'll be doing!) but at the end of the day, it's your baby and your decision. Your mum would soon get used to the name and I also wouldn't have made the connection with anus, I also agree that it isn't even a word younger children would actually know.

I don't see the connection at all... like, at all. lol.

I think its a cute name! I used to work with a guy named Anal. No joke, it was pronounced ah-nal. THAT is a concerning name. Not yours. :)

I would never have made that connection. If you love it then go for it, names are hard.

I wouldn't have made that connection either. If you like the name go for it. Me and my DH have decided not to tell anyone the name because my mil keeps trying to tell me what she thinks I should call my little man. And then she got annoyed at me because I wouldn't tell her what me and DH have decided. I don't think she will be very happy at the name we have decided as its far from any of her suggestions.

What a silly connection!
I still don't get why anyone feels they are entitled to give their opinion on the names you've chosen unless you've directly asked them for one! This is my major reason for not sharing names because I'm not interested in what anybody else has to say.

I think Aenon is a beautiful name! We've been having problems with our choice too. My super conservative Nan has decided to tell people that we are calling him Aaron as it sounds similar. Drives me bloody nuts! I'm not very close to her so I just leave it. Most other people either love it or just ask us how its spelt. Its got 4 letters and is so simple I'm sure people just do it to piss me off. Either way its been his name since he was 11 weeks and that isn't going to change!

I really like the name and definitely wouldn't have made that connection!

Our policy is not to tell anyone our name choices. That way we don't have to hear opinions and be swayed by them. No one will hopefully make a comment after the baby is born and named :)

I like it and would never have made the connection either. Sounds like she's just reaching for something to deter your choice to change it to something she likes better. I get funny looks when we tell people our name too, and before they can say anything I say "if you don't like it keep it to yourself because this is my child and the name will not change" . Usually it gets left at that, but I've still gotten uncalled for comments or opinions

Thanks so much ladies.

We are still considering it and also have a few other names we are thinking about.

Boys names are SO hard! :dohh:

I understand how you feel my family did that to my first sons name I got so many opinions about how everyone hated it and such that I ended up changing his name. So this time we decided we aren't telling anyone what it is :)

Aw I love the name and definatly wouldn't have made that connection. I think some people just have to have an opinion on thing, regardless of wether it's good or bad. We havnt told anybody our names either for this reason and also my mum is a bad gossip so she'd be the one saying oh she's calling the baby this, but don't wmsay anything 😤

Ugh, I hate peoples' opinions on the names you've chosen...even if they don't like it, they should keep their comment positive or even just neutral - it's not up to them :(

Similarly, my OH's mum put us off using the name Gabriel as when she repeated it back to us she really enunciated the first syllable and said "Sounds too much like GAY". Mature much?!

There's nothing wrong with the name you've chosen, and it sounds nothing like Anus!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->