Rant about baby name

Even if you named your baby John or Mike, kids might find a way to make fun of it. Or they might not! If you like the name Aenon, go for it :) (You just might have to be prepared to spell it out for a lot of people you tell the name to)

Even if you named your baby John or Mike, kids might find a way to make fun of it. Or they might not! If you like the name Aenon, go for it :) (You just might have to be prepared to spell it out for a lot of people you tell the name to)

People already ask how to spell our kids names and I didn't think they were too "out there". I've had it all my life, this baby can get used to it too! :rofl:

People already ask how to spell our kids names and I didn't think they were too "out there". I've had it all my life, this baby can get used to it too! :rofl:

Wow. Yeah, never underestimate the ability of people to mess up an easy name (your existing kids names are definitely not "out there", lol). My sister and I have hard-to-spell names for most people too, and almost nobody knows how to say my maiden name. When I got married, I figured at least my last name wouldn't need any second-guessing any more but HR at work managed to screw it up pretty well instantly. :dohh::haha:

Our baby girl's name is Avily, pronounced just how it looks. Sounds like Ava Leigh, but one word. But for some reason, people get so confused!! They just can't get it, I feel like it's a martian name or something. Geez, it's so frustrating.

I actually liked the name Anas. its an arabic name. I am the one who told myself that it sounds like anus in English and would be irritated at the teasing. I however love the name u chose and would have never made that connection. Your mom probably just doesnt like it and is creating mumbo jumbo in her head. Thats what people do sometimes. Sorry about that and hopefully she comes around. I was deciding between the names amos and abel and I had many tell me they didnt like them, especially after I told them the meaning behind the names and what they meant to me. After a while i said screw it. Oh well. ur stuck with calling him watever I name him so they r gonna have to get over it eventually. people have no shame sometimes

My mom hated my niece's name and told my sister all the reasons why. It made my sister insecure and sad about it at the time (obvs) but once my mom fell in love with her granddaughter (immediately) it didn't matter. When I asked my mom about how she felt about the name after she met her granddaughter she said, that's just her, it's her name and it's who she is. In other words, your mom will love her grandson whether she likes the name or not and that's what ultimately matters in the long run. PS. Kids will find a way to tease each other no matter what. If you like the name, don't change it!

I understand why you feel it may be tainted now. We are naming our son Russell and we've only told maybe 6 people so far because of the reaction we received. See, we are huge basketball fans because our city has a phenomenal NBA team. And on that team is a famous player with the name Russell. Plus, it's no secret he's my favorite player. So naturally, the people who know our son's name assumed we named him after the basketball player. Uh, no. We just liked the name. So I also felt like it became tainted, and that's why we haven't announced it to anyone else yet.

That being said - and I'm going to sound like a hypocrite for saying this - don't let it change your mind. Your name is fun and unique and I don't see the connection between the nickname your mom fears. It's a stretch, and besides kids will make fun of any name they want to even if it's as simple as "Jim."

I say just brush it off and remember that it's your kid and the name you pick will be part of your life forever - so it's your decision. :)

I'll chime in the rant. People SUCK when it comes to baby names!!! They feel the need to express their own opinion like it was asked for. I've dealt with it for my two daughters and now my other daughter on the way.

Mia- too common apparently. I would tell people and they immediately assume she was named after a famous Mia....uh no.

Lyra- this one wasn't TOO bad. Mainly from my parents I got a "why??? Where's THAT from?" -____-
And last but not least, the name with the MOST criticism?
Ezra. Yes. I am naming my baby girl EZRA. It means a lot to me stemming from when I was a child and I don't give two sh*ts as to how weird it is for you to see it on a girl. I have gotten:
"Isn't that a boys name?" Not today it is!!! Not in persia and other parts of the world. You would think in a time where people name there sons Ashley and daughters Taylor
That it wouldn't be so weird! But nope. That's a throat puncher right there.... Bc people honestly cannot grasp that I've given it to a girl.

From my parents: "why? What is that? Isn't that a middle eastern dudes name? She's gonna be made fun of. That's impossible to pronounce"

Coming from the people who named my sister YURI, as she spent her whole life correcting people from urine and explaining why she has a male russsian name.

I'm fed up. I'm tired of the opinions. My daughters names is and will be Ezra. It sounds girly to me. It means helper. It's of Hebrew decent and I'm well aware of it's origin from the bible!!!!

Point is? Screw them all. It's your name and it's lovely. They will come around. My mom finally got around to calling her by her name, my dad will come around since he has no damn choice.

It's annoying when other people, especially family members, contribute so much when it comes to choosing a child's name. On the other hand, bear in mind that the child will have to live with the name their whole life, so I'd make sure it's something he might like, something relatively easy to pronounce and spell, and a name that will sound good when they grow up, look good on a resume, etc. I know, maybe I'm paranoid, but a coworker of mine named her child a name she just made up and which, in my opinion, doesn't sound good at all, unfortunately, and I wonder how the child is going to feel about it later. Good luck choosing whatever name is best for your little one! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->