Rant - Feeling so hopeless about sleep!

Sorry you had a bad night teething is so horrible. My lo as cut another tooth he slept great til 2 then was on and off all night he keeps turning on his tummy and then stocking his legs out the cot bars and getting stuck

I think I need to join this discussion. My LO is 6 mo. Over the past month she's been up anywhere from 3 (unusual) to 8 times a night. She is breastfed and we introduced solids about 10 days ago at 6mo, but she is only getting one meal a day around 7pm. Her naps are not good, usually 3x 20 minutes, but gets an hour nap about 1x/week. Used to nap in the stroller, but hasn't done that the last few walks we've taken. OH stays with her during the day and says she won't resettle after waking up and seems awake and happy when she does wake up.
Our schedule is:
7:45ish - Start bedtime routine - change diaper, into pjs, story, feed, bed. (I know, I know. I need to not feed her last. I working on it.) She's not asleep when I put her in her cosleeper, drowsy though. Started the sleep phrase a few nights ago.
From here, it's a crap shoot. She usually has an active time during the night, but it switches up. Sometimes it's right after she goes to bed, sometimes the middle of the night, sometimes in the early morning. Active time is her waking up and needing to be resettled by me or OH. Sometimes shush and pat works, more often she needs to be picked up and resettled.
I feed her 3x/night. Usually 12 or 1am, 3 or 3:30, then 4:30 or 5:30, when she really won't resettle. When she's fed, she goes right back down. Up for the day usually around 7.
Oh and she's teething. 2 teeth in the last 10 days. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hey hun, welcome. What's her daytime schedule like, more specifically? What time does she wake and how often do you put her down for a nap? I think I would start working on that first. I suspect bedtime may be too late as well, especially if she's not napping for very long during the day.

Finally a good night here! Had to work late and daddy put Charlotte to bed. Out like a light at 6:45pm and STTN without a peep until 6am.

we are still having crappy nights, i'm starting to follow a new routine.. not sure if it's working she's teething i have one of her bottom one's poking through right now.. the other isn't out she always whimpers and crys in the night augh! even tho i give her tynole!

Teething is the worst! Why aren't babies born with teeth, seriously?

Given how awful the first few weeks of breastfeeding were with a toothless baby I can't imagine how bad it would be if a newborn had a full mouth of teeth! Especially with the babies who need some time to perfect their latch. I don't think we would've survived as a species, lol :wacko:

But I agree... teething is awful. And it seems to go on foreeever.

Teething is the worst! Why aren't babies born with teeth, seriously?

Given how awful the first few weeks of breastfeeding were with a toothless baby I can't imagine how bad it would be if a newborn had a full mouth of teeth! Especially with the babies who need some time to perfect their latch. I don't think we would've survived as a species, lol :wacko:

But I agree... teething is awful. And it seems to go on foreeever.

Haha very true Bananaz. Maybe they could get all teeth in one day at like 6 months.

Thanks for the feedback. Last night was OK, not great. She went down pretty much awake and put herself to sleep in about 5-10 minutes. Up at 10pm, just needed a shush and pat. Fed her at 12:45. Up at 2:15am, would settle, then reawake off and on. OH walked her for a bit too, which settled her but she was up again. Finally at 3, I fed her which is a normal fed during the night. She slept until 5:45, quick feed, didn't want to go back to sleep, so into bed with us. Slept until 7:15.

Seaweed eater - The night weaning is going OK. Sometimes she's fine when I detach her, sometimes not. Last night, during the 3am feed, I detached her at 4 minutes and she was not having it, so we fed for another 2 minutes and she was OK that time. So I figure it's 2 steps forward, 1 back. I've been doing this over the past week or so.

Noelle - Daytime schedule is pretty baby led. She's up around 7am. OH watches her during the day. He says she almost always naps around 9, then around 12 and again around 2 or 3. Sometimes again if I take her on a walk after work around 5:30 or 6. But these naps are usually pretty short - 15-30 minutes. She's done this since about 3 months. She hasn't eaten well during the day for the past month or so. OH says most days, she'll eat a couple of ounces, then start playing with bottle. We're just starting to give her food during the day. She eats well when she nurses.

Shitty night here again :( was up from 2:30 to 3:45 am for no apparent reason. She hadn't even pooped this time.

Aaaaand she's not even teething yet. Wtf are our nights gonna be like when that happens? This is just too much for me to handle right now. I need sleep :(

Sorry for the crappy night, Shadowy Lady. I try to tell my LO that she's not missing anything in the middle of the night and I promise not to do anything fun, but that doesn't seem to help. :winkwink:
Your little girl is adorable, BTW.

Well we had a dreadful night again last night! Awake for long stretches several times and clearly having problems resettling. I do think it may have been teething related this time though as I am pretty sure I can feel one of her bottom teeth under the gum.

Seaweed eater - I wouldn't worry too much about the disruption to routine. It's only a once off. I do know what you mean about being annoyed that you hadn't been told sooner, I am like this too, however I am slowly accepting that this is actually the control freak in me and that I do need to let go a little bit of needing to micro manage every second of my child's day. For me it is from the best of intentions in trying to make things as perfect as possible for LO but it's an impossible task to control every angle and I am trying to learn to loosen up about these types of situation. It's not the end of the world if his routine was disrupted a bit - and at least you got to enjoy your evening out without worrying about him. It would be different if he was really upset, obviously anyone would expect to be informed of that.

Omg you just described my life....!

Sorry Shadowy :hugs: I have the exact same thought about teething!! I hope it IS teeth for you one of these days so at least you can get that over with!

I just call everything `teething`these days.. :haha:

Hope it gets better polaris and shadowy lady!

Oh me too Daneuse! Daycare teacher told me today that she too is surprised we haven't seen any teeth yet. That made me feel better :haha:

So DH and I discussed having LO learn to settle with DH. He's doing PUPD more or less, but neither of us is too bothered with self settling per se, just trying to teach LO other ways to be comforted aside from the boob.

It hasn't been fun, we're at 1 hour 3 mins and LO just threw up :( I'm just reminding myself that his daddy is in there with him...I just feel like this is something he should be able to do. Especially since he is able to settle at daycare. I'm glad we are not doing CIO or I would for sure have chickened out. But I still feel bad about it. Any support appreciated...

did he get sick from the crying? My LO was gagging when I tried CIO and I chickened, I can't stand the sound or smell or even sight of vomit.

An hour isn't bad. It is good IMO (although lots don't agree) that it is important to teach them to settle without boob. Otherwise you have to be there all the time and no one else can help you (which is ok most of the time but not in an emergency/if you're ill/need to go out) and it gets harder the older they get.

My friend was nursing a 3 year old near constantly because she wouldn't eat foods or drink cow milk and she couldn't go to bed without boob. I thought it seemed like a nightmare for my friend.

Good luck with the sleep!

My lo keeps shuffling up to the top of his cot rolling on his stomach and then turning across it so he gets stuck he did this constantly from 11:30 till 1:30 last night an when I went in this morning he was in the same position. I have noticed he as started to sleep on his side aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->