Rant..

Ugh, unfortunately this is the society we live in :( it is socially acceptable to get pregnant at whatever age and by whoever you like... the government will reward you for your efforts by providing a free house, all bills paid and no need for you to ever work proving you pop out a sprog every couple of years.... is it any wonder teenagers with no education/future behave like this when the government chooses to reward them and punish middle class, hard-working, public service employees like me and OH? We get no help w childcare, no tax credits, no anything off this fab labour gov't... despite slogging our guts out :( I'm a nurse and OH a police office... we are pretty much guaranteed no help ever!

Harsh much? Not all teenager that get pregnant are after what they can get. I hate sweeping statements like that it shows that people are so quick to judge. I am one of those teenagers, yes I am on benifits but I am also at Uni.

I am sorry some of you are having a hard time finding the funds, trouble concieving etc but there is no need to pass judgment on things you know not a lot about

This does sound like she is in it for what she can get. But just because she is doesnt mean everyone else is

:)
xx

Aidans mummy..i totally agree hun, i was a young mum at 18 too and didnt do it just for the benefits or a house, my husband works at tesco which is low pay, i dont work because we wud loose our tax credits & i would have to pay for child care so it wudnt be worthme workin , we dont get housing benefit or council tax benefit, we do get tax credits but if we didnt we wud be really really stuck!
we live in a private rented house that costs £650 a month and my DH wages are only £800 a month...

Lianne x

This wasn't aimed at all young mothers, it was to show my disbelief at house this particularly woman was acting. I know there are thousands of young mum who do a great job (better than older ones sometimes) But there a fair portion who are in it for the house, money etc.

And because its the portion of money hungary teens we see on TV everyone tags young mums with the same sterotype which is not the case obviously.

Ugh, unfortunately this is the society we live in :( it is socially acceptable to get pregnant at whatever age and by whoever you like... the government will reward you for your efforts by providing a free house, all bills paid and no need for you to ever work proving you pop out a sprog every couple of years.... is it any wonder teenagers with no education/future behave like this when the government chooses to reward them and punish middle class, hard-working, public service employees like me and OH? We get no help w childcare, no tax credits, no anything off this fab labour gov't... despite slogging our guts out :( I'm a nurse and OH a police office... we are pretty much guaranteed no help ever!

Harsh much? Not all teenager that get pregnant are after what they can get. I hate sweeping statements like that it shows that people are so quick to judge. I am one of those teenagers, yes I am on benifits but I am also at Uni.

I am sorry some of you are having a hard time finding the funds, trouble concieving etc but there is no need to pass judgment on things you know not a lot about

This does sound like she is in it for what she can get. But just because she is doesnt mean everyone else is

:)
xx

:shock:

Completely agree with you Heather. I get very annoyed when people make statements like that. Its not always the case. And TBH its not just teenagers that do that........

I can see where you ladies are coming from being offended by eeyore's comment, but at the end of the day just because the three of you don't fulfill that stereotype does not mean that it does not exist. I went to school with plenty of girls that are the exact stereotype that she describes. They DO exist and and getting 'annoyed' about people pointing it out will not make them any less right, no matter how justified you are in being so as younger mums that have had children for the right reasons. From where I am reading it, what Eeyore said in no way lumped all young mums into the 'popping a sprog out every year category.'

She didnt say the SOME teenagers do it. How does she know they don't have an education. I have I am a university student thats as high as you can really go

Also you may know SOME like that but until you have been a teenage mum or have lived with them and seen their day to day struggles you are in no place to judge. It's sad and wrong that people buy into sterotypical views. What ever happened to giving people a chance and seeing who they are as a mothera nd a person not what the hyped up media tell you
xx

I don't know if you read my earlier post, but I was actually raised by a teenage Mum so know first hand what the child has to go through for one, and am still feeling it now, when people judge me because my mum is so young. Generally, the reaction is along the lines of "Well shouldn't you have popped a few out by now?!"

She also didn't say ALL teenagers do it. My views are not formed from being exposed to the media. I went to a secondary school where literally a third of the girls didn't finish school because they got pregnant, and of those, it was the minority that turned out to be good mums, not the majority.

People will always stereotype, and will always have an opinion on sensitive subjects such as this, and the current system really does encourage this stereotype. Just like it encourages the stereotypical unemployed person, and the stereotypical immigrant. Stereotypes exist for a reason, and I think people should be proud that they don't fulfill it. I'm certainly proud that I haven't fulfilled the stereotypes that have been lumped on me! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->