Rash :-(

CocoaOne

Reaction score
M had a nappy rash for a few weeks - I tried sudocreme, metanium and bepanthen, and none worked. I tried using reuseable wipes and water which didn't help either. Finally, I decided to change my washing powder (was using bold 2-in-1 but switched to fairy non-bio) and put M in 'sposies for a couple of days while I washed my stash.

The rash cleared while I was using the 'sposies but has reappeared now she's back in cloth (BGv3s) I don't know what else to do :cry:

I always do a rinse cycle after a wash, only use a but of powder (usually 50g of loose Bold but have been using 1/2 tablet of the Fairy - we're in a hard water area), I was using fleece liners but stopped to see if removing them made a difference :nope:, she has 10-15 mins nappy off time at every nappy change unless we're out, and I change her bum every 2-4 hours (usually 2.5-3 hrs) I've just bought some Asda sensitive washing powder to see if that helps.

Any ideas or tips? :flower:

Have you tried a strip wash to see if maybe it's a detergent build-up that is irritating your LO's skin? I know you use a minimal amount of it, but maybe with the hard water, it's still leaving a residue :shrug:

Another possibility might be that now that it's hot, maybe the PUL of the BG's is keeping the heat in- Emma sometimes gets a bit of a heat rash just above her buttocks in PUL nappies. If you have any fitteds, you could try going coverless and see if that helps.

Hope the rash clears up for you guys soon :hugs:

I let my LO have nakee naps (with a cotton blanket under him) when he has a sore bottom, with loads (hours and hours) of nakee time. We also use natural fibres only at bed time so it is more breathable.

My LO has very sensitive skin, and although he is more than happy to sit in a dirty nappy - if it isn't changed within about 10 minutes - he develops a VERY sore bottom :(

I use soap nuts - which could be an alternative if you think its the detergent giving her a rash?

Thanks girls. I think I'm going to have to try lots of different washing options. I'll try and do a strip wash, but she's only been in cloth for 6 weeks so I doubt there's much build up maybe our machine is rubbish though :shrug:

She's also a bit spotty on her chest and elbows and knees which makes me think it might be the washing powder. I'll persavere!

Emma has only gotta rashes from BGs. I ended up packing them all away. Something about them just makes her get the worst rash. She didn't get a rash at the beginning with them but after a few months she just kept getting them and getting them. Every time, after wearing a BG. :( I did everything. Stripped them several times and the rashes still kept coming back. Do you have other cloth that you could try to see if it could be the diaper itself causing it? I read reviews after I realized Emma's BG's were causing the rash, and TONS of people said they had the same issue. :shrug: I hope you can get it figured out. :hugs::hugs:

Edit: Since I've stopped using the BG's, she has been completely rash free! That was about 3 months ago! :thumbup:

I've got 24 BGv3s! Lol. Got 4 Internet cheapies too, but that's the extent of my stash Ilove them and they work really well for us in terms of drying etc

The rash has been much better the last couple of days since using a different powder, but I've just done an extra rinse after a wash and still saw bubbles so I think I need to do a strip wash or rinse a few more times. Maybe I am using too much powder?

I have 24 BG's too! :rofl: I still packed em. I'm praying the next babies don't have the same skin sensitivity that Emma has.

I say just keep experimenting with ways of washing them. I hope you can get it figured out! Rashes suck. :(

Darwin seems to get horrible teething wee rashes. They only clear up when the tooth emerges, I have to revert back to sposies at temporarily.

My 1st baby got rashes with reuseables. Likewise, when I switched to disposables, the rash disappeared.

So in the end, I ditched reuseables and switched to disposables - I used ECO Nature Baby, available in Boots & most supermarkets.

Since had another baby, didnt get my reuseables back out -got used to the convenience of disposables.

She has got sensitive skin so I apply nappy cream (Weleda) at every change to keep rashes at bay. I am very conscious because once my toddler complained of a sore bum & wouldnt let me clean it or anything. So it made me realise how sore a rash can be. So until he was potty trained, he got a dollop of cream at each change too. Happy bums all round!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->