Rats

sparkle_1979

Mum to Ruby born Oct 2009
Reaction score
I'm so upset. We saw a rat in our garden, 6 times in an hour in the afternoon too:dohh:

We never have rubbish out, our garden is very clean. They are all under next doors decking, who also have a spotless garden and are equally as upset as we are

We both have had pest control out, but they are not taking the poison

This was two weeks ago, I want my doors open and the children out playing but now we can't even go in our garden.

It's really upset me, I'm freaking out big time and to top it off it turns out this new house attracts big hairy bloody spiders too :nope:

Do you have a cat? if not get one!!!!! My grandma had exactly same problem...she adopted adult cat and no more rats....and cat fits right into family;)

Hubby hates cats so no chance he would let us have a cat :/

I know they say you're never far from a rat, but jeez seeing it like that in my garden, cocky little shit too

Urghhhh

I sympathise with you as I would be terrified too. I have a phobia of rodents and my husband saw a mouse in our kitchen the other night. I've never been so scared. I was slightly anxious opening this thread!

Do your local council provide a pest control service? Ours provides one for various animals and does rats for free. Hopefully they'll be able to come out and put some more poison down that they might be more likely to take. I how that it's sorted soon :hugs:

We had a mouse in our old house, a trap sorted that. Have you got one down ?

I called the council and they don't have a department. The guy who does deal with that sort of things though is sending out letters to everyone in our area to be vigilant regarding food waste etc.

We have called pest control and he's coming back weekly

It's just so upsetting we've paid so much for this beautiful house and I can't even have my French doors open and the kids outside

I don't think ill ever feel relaxed. Apparently there are now two houses down our bit that have decking with rats under them

We don't have any traps but the guy put poison blocks down and said we would hear them dragging them across the attic at night which we did. Tonight it's silent so I think they might be gone now.

I hope that the rats go away soon with the help of the pest control guy. It must be devastating that you can't even have the doors open or the kids play outside :(

1. Borrow a Jack Russell.
2. I doubt it'll come in your house, or anywhere near you or the children if you were in the garden.
Xx

We have decking too. FIL says they like decked areas :-(

He put poison inside the decking, and we didn't see them for a while. They come under the fence where our elderly neighbour lives. His garden is completely overgrown, and they were always going back under there after a visit, so u think they live there.

Our garden doesn't have rubbish either, but it was after the bird feeder for the seeds, so got rid if it.
Hate rats

Yeah, rats love decking. We had it at our old house and our dog used to spend ages out there at night as he could sense something under there :(

Ladies I'm so pissed off

I just want to open my doors and let the girls out... They keep asking as the weekend before we saw the RAT we bought then new garden toys... Poor bloody kids

Have you asked about ultra sonic devices? Of course, pest control loses out but it's a device that repels them as they don't like the sound. Well, that's the theory of it at least. If you have pets around, it won't be nice for them though. I'd also be careful with the poison as a cat might inadvertently become poisoned as well. No traps they can use? Perhaps they are doing construction nearby and it disturbed them. That sucks, rats sure are no fun. :hugs:

Here are some other ideas (I'd try lots of stuff myself if pest control isn't working - not much to lose!) https://www.ratcontroltips.com/rat-repellents/

So sorry, it's rubbish isn't it. We had a mouse not too long ago, although not as bad as a rat is it. I haven't really got any advice other than poison and traps. Hope you get it sorted soon.
I didn't realise that about decking!

I'm shivering a bit reading this thread, I absolutely hate rats

We live in the country and a few years ago I nearly passed out when I saw a massive one run up past my car, I told DH where I saw it and when he investigated he found that they were actually living under our dogs kennel, how cocky could you get?! DH laid out poison in very 'safe' places so that nothing but a rodent could get to it (inside piping, those sorts of places) and touch wood we've had no problems since. Even if getting a cat isn't an option could you borrow one regularly for an hour or 2, just to get the scent around the garden to hopefully keep them away?

Rats do love decking!! We have decking in our garden and we also live next to a big park so we sometimes have little field mice as well. Our cat likes to bring these in and play with them!! We have never seen a rat in our garden or in the house though but my next door neighbour has had problems with them and she also has decking. With regards to the spiders we also get huge ones in our house at certain times of the year and I have been told this could be due to the decking as they like to hide in it. I bloody hate the things!! I really hope you get it sorted!! Phone up your local council x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->