Raw painful nipple (expressing)

Oh poor baby, I'm sorry she's having a tough time :( Do you have her home now?

DD doesn't have a paediatrician, they don't here unless they are having problems. I could ask the GP but I can practically guarantee a GP wouldn't have a clue about feeding issues :( I'm going to email the LC to see what she says. I'd be interested to hear what your doctor says about the fenugreek. I hope he also can suggest something to help your little girly feel a bit better.

I do have her home! :happydance:
She came home yesterday evening. It was the best day ever!

I hope that LC can help you as well. I will for sure update you on what her pediatrician says.

Congratulations, that's got to be the best feeling! You have done so well over the last couple of months, I'm so pleased you finally have her home :) (I just realised your DD is one day older than mine!)

I'll update when I hear back from the LC - she checks her emails in the evening she said, so it'll be a while. I might just give DD formula today to see if she gets a bit calmer, while I wait! Still pumping of course, but will hold off on using the milk. I'll be gutted if I can't use what I have stored, but I'd rather not use it than have her feeling unwell, if it is the fenugreek upsetting her.

Raspberry, she's getting 3-4 oz more breast milk now per day, so 16oz vs 12oz before...it's increased by 0.5-1oz per day over the last week or so...would that make her poo so mucusy? Her poo has always looked like bf poo - mustardy yellow with seedy bits in - and hasn't changed colour or consistency, apart from the mucus.

Unless it's really Green or bloody I wouldn't think it's anything serious.
It's probably a bit early for teethingbut ds had very acidic mucousy poo when he was teething.
Xx

Nope, no green or blood at all, thankfully! She does have a small spotty patch of what I assume is nappy rash on her labia though...about 3/4 of an inch diameter. She's never had any kind of nappy rash before, so I wonder if the first hint of teething is starting.

Hey Soup, I talked to Riya's doctor about fenugreek and she said it does not effect the babies!

Also that spotty rash sounds like a yeast rash. If you talk to whoever takes care of her medical needs they should be able to give you a gel to help clear it up. Riya had one while she was in the NICU and they prescribed it to her. We used it instead of diaper cream until it was cleared up..

Hey, just realised I haven't updated here in a while.

DD had a cold, that's what was causing the fussiness and the horrible nappies...it was just coming on and we didn't realise that's what it was, but by boxing day it was obvious. I stopped the fenugreek, as I was up with a stomach-ache every night over Christmas, and I've been better the last few days. I'll give some thought to starting it again soon, maybe.

Unfortunately I caught the cold from DD, and my supply tanked :( I'm working on building it back up again but without the fenugreek it's a lot harder and I'm hovering around 13-14 oz per day instead of the 18oz I was getting before :/ Plus DD appears to be having a growth spurt so has dramatically increased her food requirements, so I feel like I'm back to square one again!

I will keep plugging on though...just about to finish a pumping session now. I hope everyone else is doing well and had a good Christmas and New Year :)

Ugh illness was always awful for my supply, do you think it was the fenugreek upsetting your tummy or the cold as well as we have had the strangest virus recently that seems to have affected everything.
You are still doing fabulous though, really well done with persevering :flower:

xx

Thank you :)

Ugh, yes, definitely the fenugreek...I've been fine the last couple of weeks and decided to try it again yesterday in case it was the cold upsetting my stomach, and now I'm up with the same awful pains :( So I won't be able to take the fenugreek again. Typical, first night all week that DD's slept half-decently, and I'm awake anyway :/

Is there an alternative to fenugreek that might be gentler on my stomach? My first pump this morning yielded only 5 oz, but when I was on the fenugreek I was getting 10 oz :cry: I'm so disappointed I can't take it any more. I'm hoping the reduction in yield is just because of poor sleep the last few days, but that's less than I got even before I started trying to increase my supply. I'm still eating oatmeal and keeping hydrated.

Are lactation cookies/brownies worth a go? Does anyone have a good recipe?

I don't have a recipe but I've heard good things about lactation cookies.
Xx

I did a bit of googling and have found a place that sells a cookie mix online...have ordered a pack to try, to see if it works, before buying the bits and pieces to make my own! Will of course report back with results! Fingers crossed...

Have you tried eating before you take the fenugreek hun?

Kiwiberry - yes, I would normally take the capsules with meals, it doesn't stop the pain happening :/ I have IBS and I think the fenugreek was aggravating it.

So, long overdue update...lactation cookies produced a small increase but not as much as I was hoping. I am still producing about 16-18 oz per day.

I saw my doctor this morning and got a prescription for domperidone, and I really hope it will work. I also got a manual pump that I can use when holding DD, and it seems to actually be more efficient at getting milk out than the double electric, somehow. Harder work, but the milk comes really well with it.

I think there should be 'pumping milestone' badges, like the 'breastfeeding milestone' ones...I don't feel entitled to use the breastfeeding ones, since I'm not feeding DD directly at the breast so I don't think I can really say I'm actually breastfeeding. Maybe I'll have to get my husband to make some graphics.

Hoping everyone's doing ok :)

Glad things are going well. I hope the new medication works for you.

You can most certainly use the breastfeeding badge. How the baby gets your breastmilk is not the point of the badge. It is the fact that you are using breastmilk to feed your baby. Back when I was pumping I used to think the same thing, but then lots of mamas on here reassured me otherwise. Not all breastfeeding mom's can be SAHM mom's who have lots of time to actually put their baby to breast.

All sounds positive, I hope the medication works! Expressing is hard work, definitely deserves a badge.
.xx

<3 you ladies!

Raspberry, you had your baby! :D I hope all is going well and that the birth went smoothly.

Kiwi, look at your beautiful little girl, she is flourishing!

Thank you she was born at 39 weeks and I had my home birth, it was an amazing experience.
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->