Readings during Ceremony?

Tiff

LIKE A BOSS
Reaction score
Trying to figure out what readings we want during the ceremony. Our ceremony won't be overly religious, I am to an extent but P is not at all.

I've found two that I absolutely love! One for the minister to read before we say our vows, I bawled like a baby while reading it. :blush:

"Union by Robert Fulghum

You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making promises and agreements in an informal way. All those conversations that were held riding in a car or over a meal or during long walks - all those sentences that began with “When we’re married” and continued with “I will and you will and we will”- those late night talks that included “someday” and “somehow” and “maybe”- and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding. The symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “ You know all those things we’ve promised and hoped and dreamed- well, I meant it all, every word.” Look at one another and remember this moment in time. Before this moment you have been many things to one another- acquaintance, friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, and even teacher, for you have learned much from one another in these last few years. Now you shall say a few words that take you across a threshold of life, and things will never quite be the same between you. For after these vows, you shall say to the world, this- is my husband, this- is my wife."

And then the Hand Ceremony afterwards:

"3.These hands holding yours on your wedding day are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow and forever.

These are the hands that will work alongside yours, as together you build your future.

These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years and, with the slightest touch, will comfort you like no other.

These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief fills your mind.

These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes – tears of sorrow and tears of joy.

These are the hands that will help you to hold your family as one and that will give you strength when you need it.

And lastly, these are the hands that, even when wrinkled and aged, will still be reaching out for yours. "

Ahhh, I'm going to be such a mess the day of. :dohh: What readings are you lovely ladies doing?

aww those are beautiful we ust had my fil read a funny poem hes a driving instructor and he read a poem caled love is like driving a car haha

:thumbup:
If you treat each other kindly with compassion and with trust
And always let your feelings show,
If you laugh together often and enjoy the time you share,
But give each other space to learn and grow,
If you understand your differences, respecting who you are,
And put each other first in all you do-
Your marriage will be wonderful, a reason to feel proud,
And a special source of love, your whole lives through.

Marriage is all about giving and taking
And forgiving and forsaking
Kissing and loving and pushing and shoving
Caring and sharing and screaming and swearing.

About being together whatever the weather
About being driven to the end of your tether
About sweetness and kindness
And wisdom - and blindness.

It's about being strong when you're feeling quite weak
It's about saying nothing when you're dying to speak
lt's about being wrong, when you know you are right
It's about giving in, before there's a fight.

And for you two today it's about to begin
And for all that the two of you had to put in
Some days filled with joy, and some days with sadness
Too late you'll discover that marriage is madness!

A MARRIAGE
By Michael Blumenthal

You are holding up a ceiling
with both arms. It is very heavy,
but you must hold it up, or else
it will fall down on you. Your arms
are tired, terribly tired,
and, as the day goes on, it feels
as if either your arms or the ceiling
will soon collapse.

But then,
unexpectedly,
something wonderful happens:
Someone,
a man or a woman,
walks into the room
and holds their arms up
to the ceiling beside you.

So you finally get
to take down your arms.
You feel the relief of respite,
the blood flowing back
to your fingers and arms.
And when your partner's arms tire,
you hold up your own
to relieve him again.

And it can go on like this
for many years
without the house falling.

Aww Tiff those are lovely! I may see if our JP will read Union as well. That really is the heart of relationships! Thank you for sharing!!

awwwww I love those!!!!

We are having by our b'maids

“Is there anything more beautiful in life than a young couple clasping hands and pure hearts in the path of marriage? Can there be anything more beautiful than young love?” And the answer is given: “Yes, there is a more beautiful thing”.
"It is the spectacle of an old man and an old woman finishing their journey together on that path. Their hands are gnarled but still clasped; their faces are seamed but still radiant; their hearts are physically bowed and tired but still strong with love and devotion. Yes, there is a more beautiful thing than young love. Old love.”

and

Yes, I'll marry you, my dear, and here's the reason why;
So I can push you out of bed when the baby starts to cry,
And if we hear a knocking and it's creepy and it's late,
I hand you the torch you see, and you investigate.

Yes I'll marry you, my dear, you may not apprehend it,
But when the tumble-drier goes it's you that has to mend it,
You have to face the neighbour should our Labrador attack him,
And if a drunkard fondles me it's you that has to whack him.

Yes, I'll marry you, You're virile and you're lean,
My house is like a pigsty you can help to keep it clean.
That sexy little dinner which you served by candlelight,
As I do chipolatas, you can cook it every night!
It's you who has to work the drill and put up curtain track,
And when I've got PMT it's you who gets the flak, I do see great advantages,
But none of them for you, and so before you see the light,
I do, I do, I do!
Pam Ayres

and then at the end we are having our own vows and mine are... (not sure what his is yet??)

I cannot promise you a life of sunshine,
I cannot promise riches, wealth or gold,
I cannot promise you an easy pathway that leads away from change or growing old,
But I can promise all my hearts devotion, a smile to take away the tears and sorrow,
A love that is ever true and ever growing,
A hand to hold in yours for each tomorrow

Awww there's some lovely readings in this thread! Makes me feel all warm and gooey!

HB, I LOVE your vows, they're beautiful! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"