Ready Brek VS Baby Porridge

kellyc1987

Reaction score
Now that LO is 6 months I'm thinking of switching to ready brek rather than baby porridge mainly because of the sugar content that is in baby porridge.. the only thing I'm not sure about is if the fibre content is is too much

Sugar
Baby Porridge = 38.9g of sugar per 100g
Ready Brek = 1g sugar per 100g

Salt
Baby Porridge = 0.3g per 100g
Ready Brek = 0.03g per 100g

Fibre
Baby Porridge = 4.8g per 100g
Ready Brek = 7.9g per 100g

Wow that baby porridge is sugary and salty! From about 6.5 months I just made regular porridge with porridge oats. I did also buy other baby cereal too, but they were brands that were advertising themselves as healthy-yummy-mummy cereals with low salt and sugar like "Plum" and "Organix".

In the quantities you've stated the fibre difference looks big, but you wont be giving her 100g will you? More like 20g, so you'll be upping her fibre by about half of one gram.

Wow that baby porridge is sugary and salty! From about 6.5 months I just made regular porridge with porridge oats. I did also buy other baby cereal too, but they were brands that were advertising themselves as healthy-yummy-mummy cereals with low salt and sugar like "Plum" and "Organix".

In the quantities you've stated the fibre difference looks big, but you wont be giving her 100g will you? More like 20g, so you'll be upping her fibre by about half of one gram.

Oh yeah I wouldn't be giving 100g that's just what was on the box, I might just use regular porridge oats then

Oh yeah I wouldn't be giving 100g that's just what was on the box, I might just use regular porridge oats then

Yeah I always use the 100g amounts as a ref because "serving" sizes are always different, then scale them down. I believe oats is about 9g of fibre per 100g, so more than readybrek, but I just though the mush ones seemed quite boring. I alternated baby and regular till I'd used the boxes up.

We never used baby porridge, just normal porridge from 6 months, and it was no problem at all for us. My daughter loves it and it's much healthier than all the processed baby crap.

I also just used regular porridge. Started with a nice organic brand and for the first couple of wks whizzed the oats in the blender to make them finer. He's 13 months now and still loves his porridge for breakfast every day :)

Having posted previously that i just use regular porridge oats I am now considering switching to ready break because it is fortified and that would be a handy way of getting DS some of his vits & iron.

i personally give my daughter both ready brek and packs of cow & gate and heinz baby cereals/porridges. although its obvious to not give ridiculous amounts of salt and sugar, its also impossible to avoid it. bits in moderation of everything. sugar and salt is in everything x

I used ready Brek with my older two as it's easy and fortified. They loved it, I will do the same when M is ready x

if M has porridge which is rare, he has normal porridge oats, or the micro ones which usually have fruit in, or on occasion i did give him ready brek, never baby porridge as its crap!!

We never used baby porridge, just normal porridge from 6 months, and it was no problem at all for us. My daughter loves it and it's much healthier than all the processed baby crap.

Agreed. Lots of baby food is way over-processed, over-sugared etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->