Ready or not

SSBaby

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new here, I'm 28 years old and getting married in 2 months. I've never had children but always wanted children.
Now my fiance and I are talking about kids and when to start trying and I just don't feel all clucky or like I feel like I should.
I've never really been around young children and I now have an 18 month old niece and I'm still not clucky and I don't feel all that maternal.
I want kids but I don't know if or when I'll be ready. I feel like i wouldn't have those maternal feelings towards my child if we do have a child.
Has anyone else felt like this?

Hi there! Congrats on the upcoming wedding!

I can completely understand your feelings. I grew up an only child, never babysat, no real experience with small children. I knew I always wanted to be a mom bur didn't think I could handle being responsible for a tiny human. I never felt that maternal instinct. My husband really wanted a big family right away. I now have an almost 3 year old. Surprisingly, it was at my urging this time around to try again.

I feel like even despite my reservations, I feel so complete as a mother and I was so worried I wouldn't feel that way. I think you will know when you're ready. It might not be jumping in with both feet ready but you and your future husband will know.

I was (well, still am in a way) exactly like you. My husband and I always knew we wanted children, but I definitely wasn't one of those people who was at all broody even when we were actually trying. Like we knew we wanted to be parents, but I didn't really like other people's children, I wasn't obsessed with the idea of getting pregnant or having a baby or shopping for little tiny baby clothes or any of that. In fact, now I have a child (she's 3) and I am still not like that! I absolutely love her and I have loved mothering her and we want to have another in the near future, but I still don't coo over other people's babies. I don't like other kids really. I actually avoid the sorts of places that are overrun with other kids or toddler classes where I might have to talk to other parents about nothing but our children. It's just not my thing. I think there are some people who are obsessed with babies and love all children and plan for years to have a baby and buy clothes well before they are even pregnant, etc. and that's great if it makes you happy, but I don't think it makes you a better parent. I love my husband and we have an incredible bond and we're very happy together, but I don't obsess about him. I think it's the same with children.

Having my daughter has been pretty much the single best thing I've done with my life (and I've done a lot of cool things), but I wasn't broody before I had her, just knew it was what we wanted, and I'm not really broody this time around, though we know we'd like to have another. Maybe it's like people with their weddings too. You know how there are some women who are obsessed with their wedding. They've been dreaming about it since they were 5. Went looking at engagement rings before they even met the guy. Bought every single wedding magazine and obsessed about it for 2 years beforehand. And then there are some people who just want to be married because they love someone and they don't focus as much on all the planning or the dreaming or the little details. I think maybe it's like that (I hated wedding planning too!:dohh:)

For us, we knew when we were ready when the timing was just right. We had gotten married, had time to travel and do all the things we wanted to do before we had the responsibility of being parents, I had some time when it would be good to take a break from my career and be at home for a year, and we just were ready for a change in the pace of life. That's pretty much how we decided and for us it was the right time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->