Real Nappies

S

Shifter

Quiet in here. I only just realised this section was here but there's nothing happening... let's see if I'm the only one in here...

So, where are you getting your real nappies from?

A friend put me onto littlelamb.co.uk and I love the website! I'll be getting a bundle from there a bit nearer the time.

I haven't decided yet, I might buy them, or there is a nappy service nearby me which cleans them and delivers fresh nappies but I think you might have to use the nappy they provide. there seems to be a lot of choice and it's a bit confusing, I guess ill give it some thought in a couple of months!

*waves*

Hello!

Yeah, there's a lot of choice these days. I think a lot of people assume that real nappies are a thing of the past, too much hassle and not really available any more. But that soooo isn't the case!

You can get pre-folded ones with velcro and choice of material. So you can go for traditional cotton, fast-drying microfibre, or naturally anti-bacterial and anti-fungal bamboo!

I think it's all great and can't wait to get hold of some!! :rofl: I never thought I would be excited about nappies!

I can remember my brothers had terry nappies, you know, that you folded over and pinned but I like the thought of bamboo fibres because I've used them in my work, and I like the prefolded ones, it all seems a lot easier! I hope that it doesn't work out too expensive because I'm only planning on one kid :D

I can remember my brothers had terry nappies, you know, that you folded over and pinned but I like the thought of bamboo fibres because I've used them in my work, and I like the prefolded ones, it all seems a lot easier! I hope that it doesn't work out too expensive because I'm only planning on one kid :D

Yeah, much easier these days!

And nah, it's much much cheaper in the long run. Rather than spending £25 per week on disposables for over two years you just have that first big expense and then don't have to worry about it any more. You can save about £600 using real nappies :-D

Plus, you can sell them on afterwards. Some people will happily buy used ones. You might even be able to save even more yourself if you're willing to do that ;-)

wow. I don't know how on earth you decide which ones to use. I just looked in babiesRus and there were 3 types there alon (mia bambino, totsbots, and some other one) plus I have hear alot about some called bumgenius and fluffybunz. MY OH seems quite keen on the idea too though.So that's good :D

wow. I don't know how on earth you decide which ones to use. I just looked in babiesRus and there were 3 types there alon (mia bambino, totsbots, and some other one) plus I have hear alot about some called bumgenius and fluffybunz. MY OH seems quite keen on the idea too though.So that's good :D

Heh. I think it's a good idea to think about what is most important for your lifestyle. Do you want quick-drying most or anti-bacterial softness? I might go for a combination, 10 microfibre and 10 bamboo! Best of both worlds!

I only just realised this section existed! Fab! I really want to use "real" nappies. DH is not keen, so weird because he thinks it's evil not to recycle but he balks at reusable nappies? The psyche of men...
Anyway, so how do they work exactly? How do I convince him it's not disgusting? Well, obviously poo is disgusting but...
He works away for 6 days and is back for 5 so tbh I'll do whatever I want to anyway!

I only just realised this section existed! Fab! I really want to use "real" nappies. DH is not keen, so weird because he thinks it's evil not to recycle but he balks at reusable nappies? The psyche of men...
Anyway, so how do they work exactly? How do I convince him it's not disgusting? Well, obviously poo is disgusting but...
He works away for 6 days and is back for 5 so tbh I'll do whatever I want to anyway!

Hooray! Welcome to the real nappy club!

Cloth nappies come with a liner. You can get paper ones that you just flush down the loo or flannel ones that you rinse off first, then wash along with the main bit.

There's no real convincing OHs about poo, it is what it is. But try putting it to him this way: there is no difference between taking off a disposable, folding it up and trowing it in the bin; and taking off a cloth nappy, folding it up and throwing it in the laundrey bin. If it's going to be you doing the laundrey then the rest doesn't affect him anyway :)

What is different is a) the environmental impact and b) the financial savings!

I read somewhere that you are actually supposed get rid of the poo in disposables as you're not allowed to put human waste in the rubbish bin.
The authorities obviously don't enforce it though!

I read somewhere that you are actually supposed get rid of the poo in disposables as you're not allowed to put human waste in the rubbish bin.
The authorities obviously don't enforce it though!

I didn't know that! Wow. Not really enforceable at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->