Really angry my SIL let me be exposed to shingles!

heather91

Preggers with 2nd
Reaction score
My SIL took my nephew to the chemist with a rash which the chemist said was likely to be shingles. She didn't tell me this and brought him round, I smothered him with cuddles and kisses as usual, as did my daughter.

His case of shingles was confirmed by the doctor yesterday, my daughter now has chickenpox and I've never had it and am likely to get it!!!!! I mean, how irresponsible and out of order is that? If I'd have done that when she was pregnant, they wouldn't be talking to me now thats for sure.

Im just so angry that she'd bring him round when she knew.. there was no need to come round...:nope:

[Just to add, my MW checked my immunity to it yesterday but I won't get results until Thursday/Friday, by which time the drugs to prevent it will be no use anyway. How silly!]

*****UPDATED*****

I would just give your dr a call and find out what precautions you need to take. I was also exposed to it but I've had chickenpox so it's no big deal. Your sister should have told you not to come around that he had something even if she wasn't sure what it was. That's irresponsible of her.

I saw my MW yesterday and she's tested my immunity. I won't get the results til Thursday or Friday, so by the time they can give me the drugs to prevent it, I'll probably have it anyway. I'm just so f'ing annoyed, it's so unfair, especially when I have a toddler with it now. I just can't afford to be ill!

Have you never had chickenpox?

Right you need to contact your MW ASAP because you will need to have the varicella zoster immunoglobulin given to you as soon as you can.

Ive never had chickenpox and have been high risk of exposure (as I am a Doc) and this is what I was told I needed to do if I ever became in contact with chickenpox.

:hugs:

I would also tear your SIL a new one tbh, she's completely irresponsible.

ETA: Just seen your post above, fingers crossed you have immunity.

I agree I would be annoyed. I didn't go near anyone with a cough or cold whilst pregnant. Yeah I'd phone for advice it's something you could do without at this time.

That is proper s@@t ...I dnt think I would want to speak to her again tbh...keep us posted Hun

Will do, just had to get my anger out! I just can't believe it, i'd never do that to anyone!!!!! I couldn't even go round if I coughed once in a week when she was pregnant both times!

Yeah I agree it's really irresponsible of your SIL. Some people just dont seem to think, I can't understand it. I was also exposed to chicken pox a few wks ago by a "friend" who didn't think to ask if I'd had it before and that I'm pregnant. Even though I have had it before I was still worried, I called the midwife office and they said its only a concern if you are close to delivery and exposed to it then they give you an injection so the baby doesn't get it.

I haven't had chicken pox either but luckily my MIL mentioned it to me that their neighbours kids have it at the moment and I was about to go round to drop something in - so glad she said!
I would be very cross, I have no idea what to suggest other than I'll keep my fingers crossed you are immune!
It's annoying also that I mentioned to the doctor about anything I should get tested for/do before TTC and she said nothing - you'd think they'd check your records or ask a few simple questions so you can be immunised before hand?

x

RaspberryK - There arent any things to get tested for before TTC really unless you yourself are concerned about STIs etc. The chickenpox vaccine isnt routinely done in the UK anyway and is given over a few months, hence if you did get caught pregnant so quickly a) it wouldnt have chance to take effect and b) its not a safe vaccine to be given in pregnancy.

I had the chickenpox vaccine 10 years ago when I was in medical school but it clearly wore off. I didnt realise this so thank goodness I requested screening at my booking appointment otherwise I wouldnt have known!

I've just come out of the hospital with shingles actually. I had stern advice not to go near any pregnant women not only because you could get chicken pox but because shingles is a herpes virus which could be contagious to the new born when delivering. Sorry if that scared you but that's totally out of order!!! I'm sure it will all be fine, I've been told that unless I go into labour in the next few days then I have nothing to worry about. Shingles is only contagious when the rash blisters so you may be lucky

I would be fuming! Maybe she erroneously thought you'd had chicken pox before so would be immune, but you can still get shingles even if you have had chicken pox. Still no excuse though!

I too would be very annoyed. I hope that you have let her know the error of her ways so that she doesn't do it again or expose other pregnant women. It was probably not a consideration of hers although a potentially dangerous one.

RaspberryK - There arent any things to get tested for before TTC really unless you yourself are concerned about STIs etc. The chickenpox vaccine isnt routinely done in the UK anyway and is given over a few months, hence if you did get caught pregnant so quickly a) it wouldnt have chance to take effect and b) its not a safe vaccine to be given in pregnancy.

I had the chickenpox vaccine 10 years ago when I was in medical school but it clearly wore off. I didnt realise this so thank goodness I requested screening at my booking appointment otherwise I wouldnt have known!

I know it's not routinely done as lots of people have it but when I spoke to the midwife at my booking appointment she said that as I hadn't had chicken pox they could have given me the vaccine before we started trying (visit to docs 1 year before we intended to TTC) and she said I should organise it before I start TTC next time. The doctor also mentioned that I should take folic acid as soon as I found out I was pregnant but didn't mention taking it before hand?

x

Well your Doc was silly to not tell you about the Folic Acid.

But you gotta remember not everyone visits the GP 1 year before TTC!!!! Hence why they don't routinely check/advise about chickenpox beforehand. It's not part of the NICE fertlity guidelines. I know that probably seems daft but it's the way things roll at present. You never know, it may change.

I'm gonna get myself vaccinated ASAP once this LO is here, I've spent my entire pregnancy having a sign on my consulting room saying 'Dr P is pregnant and therefore cannot see anyone with a rash or exposed to chickenpox'...I feel like a right leper!!!! :haha:

It must be a lot harder in your job to avoid it!
Yes doctor was surprised I'd even bothered to be honest.

x

I'd be completely fuming too :growlmad:, I hope she's made aware of her stupidity and you get an enormous apology... I hope everything goes okay for you xx

I've never had chicken pox and was tested for immunity at my booking appointment. I haven't got immunity but was told that it's only a problem before 20 weeks and after 38 weeks, so hopefully (fingers crossed!) your baby should be ok. Although I'm guessing chicken pox isn't top of the list of things you want when you're pregnant!!

Hey, I am so sorry; that is really careless of your SIL to allow you to have that contact with her child, not knowing what the rash was. I do hope all is okay for you and the baby xx

That's really out of order. I hope she knows how out of order it was - so she doesn't do the same thing to anyone else!! I bet she'd have been fuming if it happened the other way around. Some people really don't think!! I hope you stay well & your daughter recovers quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->