Really confused about immunizations now :/

jessicaR4bbit

Some woman, and manchild
Reaction score
I really am not intending to start a debate here (but that will probably happen anyway, given the nature of the topic). I am just genuinely confused over whether or not to complete my son's vaccination schedule. I have up until this point had him fully vaccinated, and now he is due for his 4 month shots (a month late due to my hesitation). I'm honestly just not sure if I should get them.

I have read arguments from both sides of the spectrum and I have read up on many links and research that indicates immunization is key in preventing illness. But very recently, as I have been reading up more about them, I find several conflicting sources that demonstrate how vaccinations are not actually good for you. That they do not evoke a true immune response because immunity is largely hormonal and cannot be triggered by injections, to name just one. I have also noticed that after both of his 2 month and 3 month shots, LO did show negative signs afterwards. BOTH times he showed disinterest in feeding and had fewer wet nappies. His sleep (although not that great, admittedly) suffered immediately after both shots and took weeks to return to normal. The feeding part scares me and I wonder if that is the kind of reaction I can expect from him after his shots why would I do it again?

I don't know. I am in two minds about the whole thing. I have been doing so much research it is insane, and to me it seems logical to let the body fight off illness as it was intended to do in the first place. I have a doctor at my local practice (just one doctor out of multiple doctors) who is anti-vac and anti-medicine! I saw him specifically when my son was ill last time and he explained to me that while it is a parents' choice whether or not they vaccinate their child, that in his 30 years of experience as a GP, he has seen so many cases of children falling ill with the diseases the shots are supposed to protect against. That the majority of his patients were full vaccinated and his own children had never received them and are exceptionally healthy.

Are there any mums here who have gone against vaccinating their babies? How can you be sure it is the right decision to make for you? Herd immunity is something I hear often as well, are there any studies that show a direct link between disease rates and unimmunized babies?

You will find many moms that went against vaccinating. I think it has to do what is right with your family.

My kids will remain vaccinated. I have a father fighting cancer so really don't need the extra worry.

Also there are a few threads in the "news and debates" section that give thousands of links lol

My baby is deffo having his. My friends son caught measles Even though he had his jabs due to a few children in his nursery class not having them done. Can't imagine how bad it would have been if her son hadn't had the jab too. As he managed to catch it while vaccinated!
That's just me. I personally cannot understand why someone wouldn't want to not give jabs. But each to their own and although I can't understand it, I'm only a parent to my son and no1 else's children so its up to them x

My view on vaccinations is they may not necessarily prevent the disease but can make the case milder. Take chicken pox...I'm so glad there is a vax for it now. Maybe my kids won't have to suffer like my mom and I did. I was put out for over a month and my mom was in the hospital for six weeks.

You might try using the search feature. There are a LOT of long threads about this topic and most include links to research supporting both sides of the debate :flower:

My view on vaccinations is they may not necessarily prevent the disease but can make the case milder. Take chicken pox...I'm so glad there is a vax for it now. Maybe my kids won't have to suffer like my mom and I did. I was put out for over a month and my mom was in the hospital for six weeks.

They don't offer us that. I was so young when I got chicken poxi can't remember. Although I managed to catch shingles at 8 years old which is rare in children cx

I'm vaccinating my son on the delayed schedule suggested by Sears. My pediatrician suggested it. I believe it's ultimately the parents choice, and they have to do what they are comfortable with. I believe they are safe, but my son was also feeling poorly and had week long sleep disruption after his 2 month shots. So that makes me hesitate to give too many at one time (hence Sears' delayed schedule).

And I have to point this out, cause it gets under my skin...The fact that the doctor you mention (who didn't vaccinate his kid) has healthy kids, doesn't say anything about the effectiveness or safety of vaccines. It just says they were lucky enough not to be exposed to whooping cough, measles, etc. etc. (too early in morning for me to think of the other diseases). And a main reason they weren't exposed to these is because of the heard immunity that results from other parents getting their kids vaccinated. In other words, just cause someone didn't vacc and has healthy kids, doesn't mean vaccines aren't beneficial. :flower:

Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of getting one jab at a time rather than altogether but I have spoken to my HV about that and she says that they "don't recommend that because the clinic is busy and it is best to get them out of the way ASAP" :S I told her about the feeding and sleep and she said it was normal. How should it be 'normal' for a baby so young to go on a feeding strike and suffer with sleep because of immunizations.

I can appreciate the herd immunity logic. But then what about children who are vaccinated falling ill? Doesn't that mean the vaccinations don't really work? The one answer I have read to this is that is because babies needs booster top ups, but I thought they were already vaccinated up to the nines. Why would more shots be beneficial if the vac schedule was effective?

As a side note I was fully vaccinated as a baby and had it really bad with chicken pox that I was rushed to hospital. I still have a scar on my lip from it.

If you've done a lot of research, I would actually suggest stopping. I do the same thing and sometimes I end up with what I call "information overload". At that point, nothing I read helps to make my decision - I just have too much knowlege and not enough instinct!

Make a list of pros and cons based on what you've read. Make a decision and move foward with it. Trust your gut. A lot of motherhood is making the best choice possible for your family, even when you're not 100% sure it's the right thing to do. You will be fine :)

I have chosen not to vaccinate my son... I will say that decision was not and has not been taken lightly. I, like you were very nervous in making that decision...how can I be so sure Im doing the right thing...well I will say i did lots of research and am comfortable with my decision. Its very difficult because we all want wants best for our children and theres 2 sides to this coin so to speak. I cant tell you whether you should or shouldnt thats a very personal choice but my advice would be hold off until you feel 100% with your decision either way. I do have some links that I can message you if you'd like.

I have chosen not to vaccinate my son... I will say that decision was not and has not been taken lightly. I, like you were very nervous in making that decision...how can I be so sure Im doing the right thing...well I will say i did lots of research and am comfortable with my decision. Its very difficult because we all want wants best for our children and theres 2 sides to this coin so to speak. I cant tell you whether you should or shouldnt thats a very personal choice but my advice would be hold off until you feel 100% with your decision either way. I do have some links that I can message you if you'd like.

Thanks, and yes of course message away.

I totally agree that too much research can be bad, lol. I think for the meantime I will leave the jabs until I know for sure I am making the right, informed choice. The search continues.

I appreciate replies that are both pro-vac and anti-vac. I like to know what other mothers think.

As a side note I was fully vaccinated as a baby and had it really bad with chicken pox that I was rushed to hospital. I still have a scar on my lip from it.

We don't get NHS chickenpox vaccinations here; I think you can pay for it privately though.

We don't get NHS chickenpox vaccinations here; I think you can pay for it privately though.

Should have mentioned, I grew up in Australia and received the vaccine.

I was against at first, oh was totally for it so we went with doing it. The only compromise I got is to have the booster (12 months) before the mmr, we will do the mmr in about 2 months time. Xx

You shouldn't be surprised your baby goes off food and doesn't sleep well after vaccinations as the immune system is working in response to them and is normal, your baby will suffer a lot worse if they pick up one of the illnesses the vaccs protect against - they are coming back in the UK you can no longer be complacent that they aren't needed cause they have been irradicated as that's not the case anymore unfortunately.

I'm with you I'm so confused and really not sure what to do. He has his 2 month and one of his 4 month and I haven't gone back to get the rest because I'm just not 100% hope I figure it out soon!

You shouldn't be surprised your baby goes off food and doesn't sleep well after vaccinations as the immune system is working in response to them and is normal, your baby will suffer a lot worse if they pick up one of the illnesses the vaccs protect against - they are coming back in the UK you can no longer be complacent that they aren't needed cause they have been irradicated as that's not the case anymore unfortunately.

Curious because the research I have done has indicated that the national rates of immunizations (up to 5 years) has increased overall and more than 95% (on average) of babies are fully immunized by 1 years old. I mean this quote is taken straight from a government website:

Not since 1995, when UK data were first reported, has the coverage of all primary immunisations met or exceeded the WHO target of 95% – a target that has now been achieved in the latest quarterly COVER report (web link 2). In addition, uptake rates of vaccinations given in the second year of life – Hib/MenC, PCV, and MMR) increased again and all exceeded 91.5%. This is a truly tremendous effort by everyone involved in immunisation.

https://www.wp.dh.gov.uk/immunisation/files/2012/04/Vaccine-Update-188-April-acc.pdf

Granted there has been fear of measles due to outbreaks that have occurred in Europe but the literature still doesn't quite add up. When the original outbreak occurred in the early 90's that spark a scare the immunization rate was stable (over 90%, enough to prevent an outbreak) yet that outbreak was worse than the recent one from 2000-2006 and between these years after the MMR vaccine controversy the rates for the 1yr MMR vaccination were lower than before. So it doesn't really add up. The uptake for the MMR vaccine prior to 2000's weren't bad, either. In fact the rates were great (above 90% nationwide). So blaming it on the previous generation not immunizing doesn't make sense, either.

Ugh... no wonder I am confused with conflicting information everywhere.

I'm really confused too, I actually posted a thread about it over in toddler & pre school section.
I was set on getting his 12 month injection done but after speaking to a friend and a few others they had so much negative stuff to say about which sort of put me off.
His other injections I had no problem with them like the 2, 3 and 4 month injection is just this one a lot of people say it triggers autism, I don't know really...

Think I'm going to go ahead and get his boosters done though x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->